Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

B

Aug 25, 2019

Great introduction to Python and programming as a whole. Everything is broken down making it easy to understand. Had zero programming experience before and this class made it easy and fun to get into.

DJ

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

351 - 375 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Taufik S

Mar 22, 2017

Charles is an excellent tutor. His tutorials insists that you, as someone who is taking baby steps in programming, to not take shortcuts and develop your command of the language akin to someone learning composition in elementary school. Makes you comfortable with the syntax, gets your confidence running, and then introduce the complex stuff.

He's a tutor that doesn't make your programming experience mundane. Recommended.

By Luis L

Aug 25, 2019

Este curso comprende los fundamentos básicos de la programación en Pyhton. El Profesor Charles Severance y su forma tan única de impartir el curso, hace que el aprendizaje se lleve de una manera tranquila y amena, lo cual es fundamenta para que haya una mayor comprensión de los temas impartidos en el curso. Por lo anterior, agradezco la oportunidad brindada la cual fue indispensable para poder finalizar este gran curso.

By Louise W

Nov 15, 2018

For students like me who have no prior experience in programming, this course is definite a great introduction! The professor introduced each statement in an explicit way that explained the 'background thinking' of Python, which is very helpful when you try to understand how Python work. Also, discussion forum is a quite good resource as well, especially when I was dealing with assignments. Highly reommend this course!

By ZAMIATI D

Oct 30, 2017

I really enjoyed this course ; something that could have been complicated and maybe even boring became quite fun to learn thanks to an excellent teacher! For people whose first language is NOT english : even if you don't choose to put the subtitles -or your language isn't in the list-, the english used is easy enough to understand, I didn't have any problems with it even when I was really tired. Good luck and thank you!

By Jacob E

Dec 25, 2019

I took the whole specialization which I strongly recommend over individual pieces. These courses go through a book provided by Charles Severance. He includes all the material and TONS of code he made. Charles goes through all the code he brings up in the class and explains each piece. There are fluff pieces throughout that are not necessary to pass but offer some history. Overall a great course with a great instructor.

By Ricardo F

Oct 05, 2016

The course was really well presented, taught and clear, and although i would prefer it would have been taught in the newer version of python, it actually helped me to do some research and learn new material.

A warm special thanks to Prof. Charles Severance for his logical and laid back approach.

I hope that a follow up to some more advanced programming in Python will take place in the future.

Many thanks Ricardo Fernandes

By garland j

Mar 21, 2016

I really enjoy the videos describing the history of the language. The exercises were very good and the 'Office Hours' videos were lots of fun. Its really great to see how many people are interested in Python all around the world. These all provided a good foundation. I also thought it was great to be able to do the exercises and programming problems at any time. I look forward to the second course in this series.

By Jared B

Feb 26, 2017

Excellent course. A very useful introduction to those who want to dive into Python. I especially recommend for those who are less comfortable with the process of computer programming, as this course will introduce and reinforce the concepts of iterating, construction of while, for loops, and the ins and outs of conditionals.

In short, if you are looking for a gentle introduction that has useful examples this is it!

By Berenice R

Dec 29, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this class and feel that I learned a lot. The homework assignments were difficult but they also were good for applying what we have learned. Thank you Dr. Severence! He made the content very clear and easy to understand. I have tried learning before but failed in the past due to finding it difficult and losing motivation, but this course made me motivated and I am very proud that I completed it.

By Suvarna J

Oct 12, 2017

I am a beginner of Python. And I am glad I choose this course and this specialization. I am really getting more excited about Python after every lecture of Prof Charles. He has made Python fun to learn. He covers every topic in great detail. And I am really looking forward to the next courses. I highly recommend this course to those who are interested in Python. I want to thank Prof Charles for the amazing course.

By Jen

Dec 31, 2017

This course was excellent. A brilliant start to python programming or just programming in general. Chuck was an excellent teacher with very clear explanations. I really liked the background knowledge gained from the course which made everything much clearer and gave me a sound basis for learning and curiosity to learn more. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wishing to study programming. Thanks so much.

By Anya R

Jul 24, 2018

Charles does a wonderful job explaining the basics of Python scripting. Some of his logic description is really helpful. With that said, this course may be a little too basic if you have had experience with other scripting or coding languages in the past. I have worked a little bit in csh and Java, and found it a little basic for me at times, but there were good nuggets of info. I'd say any coding beginner shou

By Panha S

Oct 22, 2016

It's an amazing course. I learned a lot from this course. Not only did I learn programming, but I also learned how computer works when it comes to programming. The lecturing style is interesting and exciting for most of the time. It's short and precise. The explanation is clear and understandable. I like the flow chart and the summary of key concepts and key terminology of each lecture and chapters. Thank you.

By Logan D

Feb 14, 2019

I just want to thank all the mentors and my fellow classmates for helping me achieve my first Python certificate here on Coursera!

This course was challenging but not impossible to learn, i am so grateful to the University of Michigan and Mr. Charles Severance for helping this learning event happen. I recommend anyone who is interested in learning about Python take this course. It is affordable and effective!

By Hanxiao Y

Jun 08, 2017

Wow I have to say this is really a good course with excellent teacher! Before this course I have no idea of Python, I struggled and wasted a lot of time considering which language I should learn, Java or Python. Now after this course, I fall in love with Python, it's an elegant programming language easy to start with! For those who want to get start with their coding career, I strongly recommend this lecture!

By Tanja Z

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent beginner course for learning Python. The instructor slowly guides your thinking so that your thought process matches that of a Python programmer. Quizzes and especially assignments are relevant to testing your newly acquired skills. If you have a bit of experience in other languages, I recommend going quickly through the course, as I found a great deal of overlap in language that let me speed ahead.

By Thomas B

Apr 23, 2017

I loved this course and Dr. Chuck makes it easy to follow. I have prior programming experience, but was self-taught, so this helped structure some of my learnings. My only suggestion is to use a different color instead of white on neon for the blackboard drawings to make them easier to see. Other than that, I give this course 5 stars. I'm looking forward to my next course in the Python specialization series.

By Joshua G

Jan 14, 2017

Good basic intro. Professor doesn't take himself too seriously which makes the lectures entertaining as well as informative. I would recommend this to someone who has no coding experience.

I have some programming experience with Python. I didn't need to watch the lectures to answer the questions. There may need to be some way to 'exempt' out of certain courses to get to next course in the specialization.

By Bryan

Oct 18, 2016

This course is an easy to understand, fun, and very informational program that anybody can learn from. While taking this course I have gained the abilities necessary for managing large quantities of information while executing simple commands. This system has aided me beyond just helpful. I can now provide others with this information ranging from close friends, work, and even my own instructors. Thank you.

By Vipinsagar K

Dec 30, 2016

This is how things get done! One of the best online course for Python-2.7 for getting started. This one for sure, break the ice to get onto the advance level. Dr. Chuck is a real master; his method and style of teaching is very effective. I truly appreciate his time and effort putting this course and materials together. The Coursera platform is brilliantly tailored with this course. Thanks to Team Coursera!

By Pietro B

Dec 11, 2016

I went through this course really fast because I'm already a bit acquainted with the Python environment, since I self though myself how to code in it. Despite this fact, I have to tank this course to fill many gaps on my knowledges. The Exercises were a good training method to test my skills, and the book is a really great material to start to learn Python. I wish I've attended this course many years ago :)

By Nancy G C

Nov 09, 2016

Professor Charles guide learners in a very enterteining manner through the programming basic concepts. I really reccomend this course for everyone who wants to start from the lowest level or scratch so as to begin understanding how to interact with logical and human- computer interaction. Even if you know something of programming, I think this is a good way of starting or modifying our logic to programming.

By Daniel S

Oct 04, 2016

This is a splendid introduction to a delightful and powerful programming language for the first-time programmer. But it's even more than that: Charles Severance is a gifted teacher who gets the neophyte up and running in a gentle and engaging style. Really! Anyone can learn to program a computer, and get a whiff of mastering technology. But beware! That whiff can lead to addiction... and not in a bad way...

By james r

Sep 26, 2019

I am very impressed with the videos, book, auto-graded tests, exercises. I have never paid $10 for a programming book before and its helpful to quickly lookup an explanation. This is my first online course and it has motivated me to consider other classes. I really like be able to binge for a while and stop to look at other reference material. I have a second Python book Automate the Boring Stuff.

By 杜晏楠

Jul 15, 2019

Studying python with Professor Severance was such fun! This course is very friendly to people with even next to zero understanding of programming. It's so nice.

Professor Severance's lectures are easy to comprehend. The assignments are good brain exercise for me. And solving each task gave me great sense of achievement.

Thank you, professor. I couldn't have done it without your help. This course is amazing!