Back to Introduction to Systems Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Systems Biology by Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

4.3

This course will introduce the student to contemporary Systems Biology focused on mammalian cells, their constituents and their functions. Biology is moving from molecular to modular. As our knowledge of our genome and gene expression deepens and we develop lists of molecules (proteins, lipids, ions) involved in cellular processes, we need to understand how these molecules interact with each other to form modules that act as discrete functional systems. These systems underlie core subcellular processes such as signal transduction, transcription, motility and electrical excitability. In turn these processes come together to exhibit cellular behaviors such as secretion, proliferation and action potentials. What are the properties of such subcellular and cellular systems? What are the mechanisms by which emergent behaviors of systems arise? What types of experiments inform systems-level thinking? Why do we need computation and simulations to understand these systems? The course will develop multiple lines of reasoning to answer the questions listed above. Two major reasoning threads are: the design, execution and interpretation of multivariable experiments that produce large data sets; quantitative reasoning, models and simulations. Examples will be discussed to demonstrate “how” cell- level functions arise and “why” mechanistic knowledge allows us to predict cellular behaviors leading to disease states and drug responses....

SV

Feb 07, 2016

Very useful course in order to learn the basics in systems biology. You only need some training in biology to understand the concepts but the course is easy to follow and very complete.

BR

Aug 08, 2019

Great foundational material and insights from Prof. Iyengar that supports the 'disruptive' trends underway at the intersection of Computational Biology and Medicine.

1 - 25 of 60 Reviews for Introduction to Systems Biology

By Lun X

Jul 20, 2016

Ravi is a great researcher. This class is taught with great clarity and expertise. Subtitle is much less impressive though.

By William N

Jun 18, 2019

This is a good course, overall - it starts off with a lot of technical detail about network, but I honestly encourage anyone to keep going with it as the second half of the course is full of really interesting material on signalling networks and modelling, and having finished it, I certainly feel much more informed. However, the assessments can be tricky - they often require rote learning of specific detail from the lectures (often, detail which isn't highlighted a particularly important). They also occasionally involve difficult to understand questions, and several questions have had spelling or grammatical errors.

However, overall, I'd recommend this if you have previous undergraduate education in molecular biology, and a general understanding of how cell biological systems work.

By Himanshu

Feb 21, 2019

Although I am thankful to the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Ravi Iyengar & colleagues and especially Coursera for providing the such courses online,

I have to say after taking this course that I did not find this helpful and would not really recommend it to anyone. The course is sort of a bird's eye view of the field of systems biology such that a beginner would not understand much of anything and an experienced researcher would also not really benefit from it either. In my view the course is sort of a "Review of certain handpicked literature" and it does not Explain well the basic concepts of system biology.

By Oscar W

Dec 02, 2018

A good introduction to this topic for sure. As others have said, this is perhaps more like an "advanced" course than intermediate (I already have a masters in biochemistry and a lot of programming experience) but for me it's perfect. He does talk slowly though so I've been increasing the play speed to 1.5x

By Aakash S

Feb 23, 2019

Dr. Iyengar was a cool guy.

By Raul G

Mar 18, 2019

An exceptional course for anyone interested in the area of bioinformatics, cell biology, biotechnology, etc. I think it is very valuable to have some background in molecular biology but if you are interested, do not doubt to take it.

By Daniel P

Sep 05, 2018

This course is difficult. Often very difficult. Sometimes extremely difficult. However, the assessments are reasonably accessible for someone who is not highly experienced in the relevant fields (i.e molecular biology, biochemistry or mathematical modelling). I enjoyed the course tremendously. The content of the course was stellar, and delivered to me exactly what I was hoping for from this course. When I first began the course I was quite surprised at the level of detail (this is my first time using Coursera, and I had thought the course would be a lot more "fluffy" or "wishy-washy" than it was). The level of detail was paired (almost always) with a description by Ravi Iyengar which was simple and captured the main "take-home" points. This I imagine is only possible thanks to the eminence and experience of Dr Iyengar and the hard-work by the rest of the team behind the scenes. Many aspects can be a little daunting (I did not understand anything with great deepness, I often did not understand things very much, but I rarely did not understand things at all - thanks to the emphasis on take-home points). I think an essential course for anyone who wants a taste of all things systems and networks.

By JOHN Q

Jul 18, 2017

fascinating, difficult, and interesting course. Thanks so much!

By 刘文昊

Feb 06, 2016

A good step to learn this area.

By Jonathan R

May 03, 2018

It's a challenging subject. Don't expect to walk away from the course with a complete grasp of systems biology. However, this course is a fantastic place to start.

By 李俊宏

Aug 30, 2017

It's really a nice introduction of system biology. I have learned a lot of new ideas.

Professor Iyengar is quite interesting! Still I hope more mathematical details can be included!

By Rene R I

Jan 16, 2016

Great course! It explains very generally but clearly all different aspects involved in Systems Biology. The material used is good and so are the articles used for learning.

By Areej F

Jan 26, 2018

This course was very engaging and extremely insightful.

By Jinwoo J

Aug 19, 2017

NICE

By Erick C

Feb 07, 2016

Nice course, a little boring at the beginning with so much data about cell signaling, (kinases names, and specific routes).

By KOUMENE T G I

Mar 02, 2016

Very very very interesting!!! First step in a new field.

By changhao l

May 18, 2016

It's very helpful!

By Mac D G

Jan 15, 2018

that corse was really beneficial and useful for me. Thanks a lot

By saroj p

Dec 29, 2015

3rd week and I am loving it! :D

By Sumin W

Jun 01, 2016

The required readings are stellar. I didn't know all this stuff, and there's a real open-source philosophy. The bio stuff is challenging for an engineer like myself, but worth Googling and learning in the long run

By farzaneh d d

Jul 29, 2016

very good

By MOHAMMED A B

Mar 30, 2016

Excellent

By Christopher O

May 28, 2017

An excellent introduction to Systems Biology. I studied electrical engineering for undergrad and neglected to take more than the single biology course that was required, so I was a little unsure of how the course would go. There are actually many parallels with systems biology and engineering, so most of the material was intuitive or could be easily fitted with my previous knowledge. I had to spend additional time for nomenclature and rechecking exam questions to make sense of the answers, but the class is organized in a way that you can actually acquire the information you need to build a foundation and be able to consider what researchers from various backgrounds are concerned with.