Back to Bayesian Statistics: From Concept to Data Analysis

Bayesian Statistics: From Concept to Data Analysis, University of California, Santa Cruz

About this Course

This course introduces the Bayesian approach to statistics, starting with the concept of probability and moving to the analysis of data. We will learn about the philosophy of the Bayesian approach as well as how to implement it for common types of data. We will compare the Bayesian approach to the more commonly-taught Frequentist approach, and see some of the benefits of the Bayesian approach. In particular, the Bayesian approach allows for better accounting of uncertainty, results that have more intuitive and interpretable meaning, and more explicit statements of assumptions. This course combines lecture videos, computer demonstrations, readings, exercises, and discussion boards to create an active learning experience. For computing, you have the choice of using Microsoft Excel or the open-source, freely available statistical package R, with equivalent content for both options. The lectures provide some of the basic mathematical development as well as explanations of philosophy and interpretation. Completion of this course will give you an understanding of the concepts of the Bayesian approach, understanding the key differences between Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, and the ability to do basic data analyses....

By GS

Sep 01, 2017

Good intro to Bayesian Statistics. Covers the basic concepts. Workload is reasonable and quizzes/exercises are helpful. Could include more exercises and additional backgroung/future reading materials.

By JH

Jun 27, 2018

Great course. The content moves at a nice pace and the videos are really good to follow. The Quizzes are also set at a good level. You can't pass this course unless you have understood the material.

340 Reviews

By

Dec 19, 2018

A well-rounded introductory course in Bayesian Statistics.

By

Dec 13, 2018

The instructor is very clear and the course is very well structured. Super glad I took it.

By Valeth

Dec 13, 2018

The bite-sized arrangement of individual videos are very conducive for learning and self internalisation.

By Devid

Nov 28, 2018

Need more information about linear regression, given material is not enough to understand topic and effectively find solution.

By Anders Amundson

Nov 26, 2018

Would have liked more problem solving and real-world application examples.

By Susenjit Ghosh

Nov 23, 2018

Very Useful Course

By Niklas Jahnsson

Nov 21, 2018

Good and clear course. I was impressed by the quality of the material.

By Denitsa Staicova

Nov 20, 2018

What I liked in the course is that it focuses on examples and solving actual problems. The quantity and the quality of the lectures is great, but what I really missed is written lectures where one can always lookup forgotten things or read details etc. Also, one thing that I think might be added easily is a reference to Mathematica and Maple's routines. I'm using Maple and it took some efforts to get on track. And finally, I think that 4 quizes per week is really too much for working people. It's true that the tests weren't that difficult, but it took me about an hour to do each, so I think 30 mins of lectures vs. 4 hours of quizzes is a bit unfair. Of course, my background in statistics is non-existent so it may be that it took me longer than average. But I think the course material could have been spread over say 6 weeks for lighter load on the students. All best to the team!

By Oleg

Nov 10, 2018

It was my first Bayesian course. Good introduction! However more accent should be placed on intuitive understanding rather than mathematical formalism. To be fair that the issue not only with this course, that the issue with 90% of all stat courses/books. As for me, I find mathematical formalism is hard to digest, intuitive understanding should come first ... May be it's just because of my limited knowledge of stats. I'll update my belief once I get better understanding of stats:) Thank you very much Dr Lee!

By Robert Tabell

Nov 07, 2018

Great course for beginners as well as those that need a refresher on the basics!