Back to Copyright for Multimedia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Copyright for Multimedia by Duke University

Copyright questions about different formats (data, images, music and video) can be especially difficult. Sometimes the law specifically distinguishes between these different formats, and in most cases there are media-specific considerations that impact a copyright analysis. In this course we will look at four different media, paying special attention to the unique issues for each one and the kinds of information that is important when making copyright decisions for each type of material. We will work through fair use issues for each multimedia format, look at format-specific exceptions in the law, and consider unique issues for seeking permission for film, music, images and data. At the end of this course, participants will have a deeper understanding of how to apply our framework for making copyright decisions, and will be more comfortable with assessing multimedia issues. They will have gained more and more diverse experience for considering fair use....

MR

Jun 15, 2017

Easy to follow and with great teachers commenting on the pragmatic issues of licensing and fair use, which is invaluable for the foreign student, no matter his degree.

JO

Nov 19, 2016

Excellent course, incredibly informative and very well taught. Highly recommend to anyone interested in entertainment as well as the laws and liability involved.

1 - 25 of 57 Reviews for Copyright for Multimedia

By Ana G M

Mar 18, 2019

great

By Jessie A

Oct 23, 2018

This was a great course! I would suggest a few edits:

Lecture:

1) During the video from week 3, 1955 was initially noted as the year that limited performance rights were granted over transmission via digital network such as online radio. I circled that with a big question mark because I thought that was a bit ahead of time. Then later it was clarified as 1995. Also, I believe there was a date mix up somewhere around the Feb. 15, 1972 date. It would be nice to add more information on that, I only saw that each state has different regulated laws on this during the quiz. I don't remember hearing about it in lecture.

2) some of the quiz questions were too long and more like riddles rather than just asking important and relevant questions about copyright.

User experience:

1) The week 3 deadline said 10/22 at midnight. Then when I went to take the course it said it was due at 10/21 by midnight.

2) it would be nice to see the answers to the quiz. Both what you got wrong and the correct answer to the question. I understand that you can retake the quiz, so you don't want to release the answer too soon, but it would be helpful to review and check.

3) it would be helpful to have all the course material accessible in one place so we could review it later.

Overall, the professors put together a great presentation and did a great job simplifying some very complex laws that everyone with a smartphone should be aware of! Thank you.

By Ashim C M

Sep 07, 2018

As a student opting to be a filmmaker, this course has been very helpful in making me conscious about what mistakes I might make in the years to come.

By Chris H

Apr 10, 2016

Great course, the professors are passionate and very informative.

By Mauro L

Dec 04, 2016

Very good course with a lot of

practical examples and real cases to be analyzed.

Format also quite nice with many small sub-lessons on each topic.

By Troy T

Jan 26, 2016

This course is a great additon the Copyright series, I look forward to more on this topic.

By Lawrence L

Jan 15, 2016

Just excellent. Awesome!

By Lori W

Feb 15, 2016

A great class for higher education and online learning staff.

By Elizabeth M

Jan 21, 2018

This was super helpful! I learned so much!

By Margarita M

Apr 04, 2017

Great course. The knowledge I received is very useful for my work.

By Andrew T

Aug 31, 2017

Great course, with, I'd say, advanced information for beginners

By Yahaya, I L

Mar 08, 2018

I loved every bit of the lectures. It served as a refresher course for me. Thank you once again

By Matthew N

Jan 23, 2017

Very informative!

By Chris M

Aug 02, 2017

All the resources you need to make informed decisions on copyright issues for various media.

By Черных В Н

Jun 29, 2017

Geat!

By Anne K

Oct 30, 2017

Great course! Thank you all!

By Daniel C

Sep 14, 2016

Excellent. Love the videos lengths, which were easily digestible.

By Daniela Č

Jan 12, 2017

The course is very interesting and includes a big number of practical cases and examples. Also lecturers seem to be so nice I wish I would have an opportunity being educated by them face - to - face.

By Mateus M R

By James O

Nov 19, 2016

By Kurt B

Jul 19, 2017

Highly interesting and engaging course.

By Maureen S

Jun 11, 2016

Do not be taken in by the simplicity of the lectures: this course is designed to make you think about and apply (very carefully) the principles of Copyright Law. I recommend it to anyone who requires a functional knowledge of the law.

By Alyona S

Jan 17, 2016

Very useful course. I really wanted to find such information. Thank you