Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

301 - 325 of 418 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Marek J

May 20, 2019

Really liked the course - very important insights and excellent presentation of the content. By creating your own games and reviewing other actual games it's easier to learn teh content. Was fun, too!

By Andong Z

Jun 02, 2019

Love this class! A perfect kickstart for game newbies..

By Timothy N

Jun 22, 2019

Although I do have a wee bit of experience in game design, I came into this course with an open mind, a clean-slate approach, and a willingness to learn and better myself. This course focuses on some of the fundamentals of game design, and does so in a very fun, very engaging way. You'll never feel like the assignments are "work" - instead, at the beginning of each Week, you'll be chomping at the bit to get to the assignment. All the assignments are really fun and you'll love getting peer-reviewed because your peers on this course are most likely going to be fellow game enthusiasts!

By Divayansh B

Jun 26, 2019

Amazing instructor!

By Aaron O

Jun 30, 2019

This course is excellently presented, with a nice splash of humour. Great core concepts covered and the assignments really impart the importance of play testing and prototyping.

By Juliana C R

Jul 13, 2019

It was Awesome!!!

By Aditya M B

Aug 04, 2019

It was a really informative course which helped me build up my fundamentals. The assignments were fun and interesting as well and the feedback received for them was very useful.

By Taciane M

Aug 08, 2019

I learned a lot of cool and interesting concepts. The teacher passes the contents of the course in a very clear and simple way, and the peer-reviewing always helps a lot!

By Aditya K

Aug 08, 2019

Very well structured course really helps and motivates students to think and put there knowledge to work by designing simple game.

By Glaucio J M d C

Aug 20, 2019

Cool discipline for the ones that are starting on game world :-)

By Felipe R

Oct 05, 2019

Great Course, I really learn the principles of game design!

By Ethan A

Sep 16, 2019

I really enjoyed the course. The instructor knows what he is talking about, and he leaves you room to be creative. Game design is all about being creative, it is like any art. I believe the instructor can not physically tell someone how to be creative, it is something that is within us all. I am grateful to have had the oppotunity to go through with this course and create some table top games as a basis for game design. Excited for the future of this course.

By Melody Z

Sep 17, 2019

I really enjoyed taking this course. This course is nicely put together, and I learned tremendously!

By David M

Sep 02, 2019

Very enjoyable course with a dynamic teaching method that kept me interested.

By Nathalie H

Oct 18, 2019

Excellent course! I learned a lot through the activities and classes, and the teacher was great!

By Rajeev R J

Aug 21, 2018

I think the classes were awesome and the assignments were very cool. However, the quality of feedbacks I received in the peer-reviewed assignments left much to be desired.

This is a good first course for someone who is stepping into game design.

By Anirudh C

Oct 18, 2018

The course is fun to learn. Great for beginners, it would have bee better if it could contain checklist for tasks like GDD, and other design docs etc.

By Oleg L

Sep 17, 2018

The course is more of "teach yourself" variety - you're given brief advice, you're given the task, you're given one week to do it. Good for trying different ideas and improving your ability to see the idea through instead of leaving it hanging in your head. You also see others' ideas at peer review, and one can learn a great lot by noticing opportunities they missed themselves.

For those taking the course, I advise to make a new game each time rather than alter one idea you got at the very beginning over and over. You're learning _design_, not _polish_.

By Julian A

Oct 30, 2018

Good introduction to this specialization.

By Ranjan K

Dec 19, 2016

Good Course to understand basics of Game designing

By Mary P

Oct 14, 2015

A course with very clear, fun lectures. My only complaint is that I wish it had been a bit more detailed / complex.

By Luiz F R

Nov 12, 2015

Good course!

By torea f

Jun 22, 2016

Interesting tips on some important points when designing a game

By Nina L

Mar 17, 2016

The lecture is interesting, I enjoy a lot. And the assignment makes me learn a lot.

By Stanisław P

Dec 22, 2015

Good course, I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of hands-on work rather than just lectures, however, there could be more of the latter aswell. Quizes would be nice too.

The quality of the course is very high. Thank you for this course. :)