Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

226 - 250 of 329 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Ángel M

Oct 03, 2019

A great and complete introduction to the exciting world of linguistics, with emphasis on language diversity and endangered languages. Highly recommended.

By Georgina W

Nov 11, 2019

Full of interesting information. I learned a lot in this course and was challenged by the quizzes.

By Miho G

Nov 12, 2019

Professor is enthusiastic about the subject! I very much enjoy learning in this course.

By Po-Cheng,Tseng

Sep 13, 2017

This course is really good!!

By Tejo D K

Sep 01, 2018

This is one of the best courses I have done in my life. I always used to wonder about human languages and how they evolved, and this course answered a lot of my questions and now I am even more interested in the subject as I know the technicalities of linguistics. My special thanks to Professor Marc van Oostendorp who was just amazing and made the topics very interesting and creative. The main reason I completed the course though it has some difficult topics was because of his wonderful teaching and ability to grab my attention. My thanks to Inge and Martin for their discussions and their very thoughtful questions. I will wait for other courses from Leiden University, Thank you for making me more knowledgeable.

By Wender J T S

Dec 29, 2016

If you're a linguistic passionated, this course is for you!

By MIGUEL M

Jan 02, 2019

This Course is a real Miracle. The way is conducted, the material that is assigned could not be better. The inclusion of Native Speakers of different languages, as well as the participation of the Students : Inge and Marten made me feel as one more of them. Thank You very Much

By Charles M

Oct 24, 2019

Very interesting course. An excellent introduction to linguistics.

By Oliver H

Jun 30, 2019

Very interesting and easy to follow, though the quizzes are very hard, and the fact that it was free was amazing!

By Isadora S V d R U

Jul 05, 2016

A wonderful course on principles in Linguistics presented by this lovely professor Dr. Marc van Oostendorp and enriched with the discussions with Marten and Inge. As a Linguistics and Literature student, I felt that they found what was a very nice way to spread this knowledge and, in my case, a more concise discipline in which I could refresh my memory for somethings but also get to know new informations and different points of view and, at last, as an observer from Brazil, to compare a little how these things are discussed here from there. Thank you very much for the hard work and the entousiasm!

By Laura C

Sep 06, 2017

This was my first course on Coursera! Really enjoyable and challenging as well. It reactivated my thirst for knowledge and made me feel like taking more courses. Many thanks to the professors and the students who participated in the videos and helped putting together such a wonderful series of lessons.

By Akodjetin

Jan 04, 2017

Amazing course, Congratulations Dr, Inge , Marten and others!

By James A

Nov 10, 2016

A really fun survey of linguistics!

By Rajendra T

Aug 20, 2017

Perfect course to get overview of linguistics.

By Marina A

Jun 07, 2017

It's gripping and useful. I recommend it.

By Epshita J

Oct 12, 2016

This is my first course and it was exceptional.

By Alan D D S

Oct 05, 2016

Fantastic experience!!

By Agholor C C

Oct 09, 2019

This course indeed has helped to repackage my profile.

By Kevin T

Jul 03, 2018

Thanks Prof. Marc van Oostendorp, whose introduction of human language is really intriguing and insightful. Looking forward the more advanced courses from him.

By Roberta R

Nov 04, 2018

The lectures are extremely easy to follow even for somebody who has never heard of linguistics before. The required readings and suggested bibliography were extremely interesting and will give me something to work on even now that I have completed the course. Thanks for creating this great course!

By Nasser H

Jan 20, 2019

Excellent course

By Bijimol B

Jul 25, 2019

I enjoyed the classes

By Tetiana

Mar 22, 2017

This is an extremely interesting and informative course. For me it was really fascinating six weeks of educational process. I am very appreciated to the professor Marc van Oostendorp and his students for this MOOC.

By antonio b

Aug 25, 2019

A very beautiful seminar. It should be a little bit more longer and have some reference to a leading book in order to deepen some of the topic. Is there a follow up course?

By Michael C

Jul 21, 2017

The course presents very interesting subject matter, and the professor and his assistants do this in a very enthusiastic, energetic and interesting manner.