Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

126 - 150 of 327 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Susie

Jan 18, 2017

Excellent course. Was very thorough, entertaining and interesting.

By Mario A L G

Jun 24, 2016

It is a very good Introduction for those of Us that know nothing of Linguistics. I was very happy to take it.

Nov 13, 2017

I love linguistics and I love this course!!

By Colleen S

Jul 17, 2017

Highly recommended! This was my first Coursera course and I will never forget it. I took it before taking Linguistics at UMass. It helped me immensely and really got me interested in the subject. Now I am taking a TESOL certification course. To say this course opened doors for me is an understatement.

By Alexey D

Aug 09, 2017

Amazing teachers and very interesting course, many thanks!

By Shuman L

Sep 17, 2016

nice course! Interesting and informative

By Emily H

Oct 03, 2016

I found the course very informative, there was quite a lot of information in there for only six weeks of study but it didn't feel overwhelming either. Professor Marc van Oostendorp was very engaging in his presentation of the material, and I liked the fact that his students were there to ask questions as well. I also liked how the language informants were used - I was able to practice what I had learned in the other videos by analysing their speech patterns. Overall, I was quite impressed by this course.

By Ngoc N N

Dec 04, 2016

Great course! It was fun to go through and I particularly enjoyed the 5th module.

By Jose C

Jul 03, 2017

Excepcional. Aprendí muchísimo. Una gran guía al mundo de la lingüística con actividades muy dinámicas.

By Sayar G R

Aug 06, 2017

It was great.

By Stefan Y G

Sep 15, 2017

This is a wonderful course for entry level linguistics knowledge. Whatever your background is, it will fit you and give you great insight into linguistics.

By Javier F

Feb 28, 2017

I've found the course extremely interesting and well organized to be an introductory course. I had no special need for the course and, accordingly, no special expectations besides the joy of learning the basics of a subject that I've always liked, and of acquiring some basic skills on it.

Professor Marc van Oostendorp does a remarkable job on being didactic, clear, interesting and covering a nice selection of aspects of this wonderful field.

The course's dynamics is very nice: lectures, dialogues, assignments, interviews, informants' contributions, readings, forum, quiz... it's never boring, really nicely structured!

A point which in my opinion can be improved: the redaction of the questions in the quizzes are many times unclear, confusing and even misleading. After the fun of completing the week assignments with a lot of attention put into details, it's a pity when the quiz is not clear or frustrating.

Thank you, I enjoyed it a lot!

By Chantao P

May 09, 2016

so instructive, so attractive.

I'm very interested in Language and Society, I expect to acquire more knowledge on human language. Thanks!

By Randolph W

Aug 28, 2016

I shall say it's a perfect introduction course for one who's interested in linguistic : )))

By Andrew C

Mar 09, 2017

A very enjoyable, engaging course which touches on the fundamentals of Linguistics. I found the professor, as well as the assistants delightful, and the language informants were also very exciting to have. It was challenging at a few points despite my background and interest in Linguistics, however, it was well worth the effort.

I sincerely hope I can take more courses from Leiden, or perhaps study there one day. This course reaffirmed my interest in Leiden from 10 years ago.

By Nikki S

Oct 10, 2016

I very much enjoyed this course. All of the videos were informative as well as engaging. The material was compelling and I think I may like to learn more in the future!

By Epshita J

Oct 12, 2016

This is my first course and it was exceptional.

By Shayo

Oct 09, 2017

This was my first Coursera course and I found it immensely informative and interesting. Professor van Oostendorp seems to have a genuine enthusiasm for linguistics, which made working through the modules rather enjoyable. I also greatly appreciated the extras (i.e. discussions with his students, interviews, etc.) as they really helped to solidify my understanding of the material. My only quibble is I wish the correct answers were provided after completion of each quiz, as this would have helped with my review. But overall, I loved this course and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in linguistics!

By Tanya M

May 15, 2018

love this course - it's really great! Working with native speakers of different languages was difficult but fascinating. Interview with Noam Chomsky totally defeat me. I'm impressed.

By Курпас Н

Aug 14, 2016

I really liked it ! It was a challenge for me personally ! Getting the questions wrong on quizes really discouraged me but then I would keep going and not give up ! Awesome !!!

By Fran R H

Nov 14, 2016

Me encantó el curso. Recordé muchas cosas y aprendí otras tantas. La interfaz fue muy amigable y los expositores muy agradables. Lo recomiendo al 100%

By Akodjetin

Jan 04, 2017

Amazing course, Congratulations Dr, Inge , Marten and others!

By Linda B

Aug 01, 2017

Very Interesting Course. I loved it.

By Yerang K

Jul 09, 2016

Very motivating lecturer and really satisfying contents!

I am so satisfied with the courese metarial including the module itself and the reading matarials

By Prabakar K

Jun 30, 2017

It is a wonderful course. I loved it.