Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC
Sep 23, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

DP
Jan 2, 2017

Excellent! Really enjoyed and learnt a lot. I did not expect such a great content and professionalism in a free course. I am definitely purchasing for the title.\n\nThanks to all the team! Great job!

201 - 225 of 513 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Hope A

Jun 11, 2020

I really enjoyed this MOOC as it was interactive and really improved my knowledge of linguistics. It was difficult at times, but well worth it at the end!

By Yerang K

Jul 9, 2016

Very motivating lecturer and really satisfying contents!

I am so satisfied with the courese metarial including the module itself and the reading matarials

By Viktorija B

Mar 23, 2020

This is a wonderfully structured, informative, and entertaining course, excellent both for beginners and for people who have already dabbled in language.

By Ángel M

Oct 3, 2019

A great and complete introduction to the exciting world of linguistics, with emphasis on language diversity and endangered languages. Highly recommended.

By Silvia T

Jun 3, 2020

I loved the contents and the way such complex topics were explained. I am linguist and this mooc gave me a wider view on how to write my phd proposal.

By Fran R H

Nov 13, 2016

Me encantó el curso. Recordé muchas cosas y aprendí otras tantas. La interfaz fue muy amigable y los expositores muy agradables. Lo recomiendo al 100%

By אביב ב

Jul 20, 2020

I loved the materials! The lectures were clear and mind opening. Everything was with a smile! What a great attitude! Thank you. Highly recommended :)

By Jacqueline A Á V

Nov 15, 2019

Me gusto mucho el curso, me ayuda a seguir revitalizando el idioma Kunza de mi pueblo indígena Lickanantay, agradezco los conocimientos entregados.

By Kate

Sep 7, 2018

This course is so fun and informative, and I was actually sad when it ended. Oostendorp is a fantastic professor and I highly recommend his course.

By Malkat H

Nov 29, 2017

The course is very interesting and well presented. Professor is very helpful and not boring at all. I look forward to any next course by Leiden Uni

By Myriam N

Jun 14, 2020

This course was very interesting and talked about many topics related to Linguistics. It's perfect for people that don't know anything about it !

By Jorge F

Jul 14, 2019

I totally recommend this course. It was academically rigorous and fun at the same time. Thank you for the opportunity of being part of this mooc.

By aditik

Aug 15, 2020

Really well structure and organized course! The lectures were engaging and included really interesting interviews, discussions and activities!

By Arianne L

Aug 30, 2020

Very informative and covers a lot of good topics. I would certainly recommend this course to other people that are interested in linguistics.

By Pablo

Jul 26, 2016

I very much liked the professor, he has a contagious energy and is entertaining to hear and watch. Overall an excellent course, learned a lot

By Wee K N

Jan 29, 2020

The videos are clear and informative. The recommended reading materials are interesting and relevant. The informants' video are interesting.

By Hanna P

Aug 8, 2016

without any doubt the best course among those I have studied or tried out on and beyond coursera. a huge thanks to the whole team behind it!

By Damaris S

Aug 9, 2020

I learned so much about Linguistics that I had previously not learned. I loved the structure of the course and the flexibility it offered.

By Fernanda M P

Jan 27, 2018

The course was excellent. I could review some of the main concepts of Linguistic through very well designed lessons and fruitful material.

By Kasmin F

Mar 3, 2017

Immensely enlightening. I'd recommend this course to anyone who loves languages and wants to explore the fascinating world of linguistics

By Hernán S

Nov 1, 2016

This course was excellent! because this made me an overview of linguistic science, their internal fields, and their main topics of study.

By Aleksandra P

Jun 10, 2019

This is a very well-organized and engaging course:) I do have a solid background in linguistics and I still found it really interesting.

By Chantao P

May 9, 2016

so instructive, so attractive.

I'm very interested in Language and Society, I expect to acquire more knowledge on human language. Thanks!

By Irene A

Feb 23, 2017

A great course for those who are interested in the subject and want to take a general first look into linguistics. I really enjoyed it.

By Fadi G

Aug 24, 2020

The Discussions and resources were very informative and the quizzes at all levels were challenging but at the end rewarding thank you