Back to Influencing People

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Influencing People by University of Michigan

This course will improve your ability to influence people in situations where you cannot use formal authority. You will learn about effective ways to build, develop, and sustain a power base in your organization. You will also learn influence tactics that enable you to be more persuasive and influential in working with your superiors, peers, and even subordinates. In addition, you will learn how to build and maintain high-quality relationships to further maximize your informal power and ability to influence others. Importantly, you will distinguish between influence and manipulation and learn how to protect yourself from the unwanted influence of others. The influence strategies you learn in this course will make you a more confident and influential leader, presenter, and decision-maker. You will more effective in pitching business ideas to your superiors, influencing customers, and building coalitions across stakeholders. This course will not only give you strategic guidance on how to develop and maintain your network for influence and power, but we will also equip you with specific tactics and strategies that are proven to work for gaining power and influencing people....

TA
Mar 24, 2019

A very useful course, presented in a very simple and structured way, using an easy English language with a lot of subtitles.\n\nYou shall like and get a huge benefit from the materials and the course.

MF
Jan 21, 2016

Really useful course! I learnt many new ways to influence others and protect myself from other people's influence.\n\nP.S The cover is a deal-breaker. I joined this course after watching the intro.

626 - 650 of 661 Reviews for Influencing People

By Winthrop Y

Dec 25, 2015

Excellent material, good organization and presentation. But - too many ("demanding"?) peer-reviewed assignments for such a short course.

By Mike T

Nov 22, 2020

An epitome of archaic executive management training in academia; little regard for ethics, responsibility or accountability and more towards individual egoism and gamesmanship. For those pursuing entry into the C-level echelons of corporate America, this course is for you. Also, when the head of Human Resources for J.P. Morgan contributes to this course, one can easily understand why Wall Street can get away almost collapsing America's economy and not be held accountable for it. Read Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince instead.

By allan

May 29, 2016

Low on actionable content. Was looking for some specific tactics to use, but even though the course syllabus refers to tactical information on influencing people, it lacked any specificity to make it useful.

By Stefan S

Apr 21, 2020

I spent precious time to eventually figure out that this course costs money on top of the already running coursera fee. What a waste.

By Birk M

Jan 21, 2016

This is a joke right?

5 minutes long videos with questions after it shall teach me effective?!

you guys are ridiculous!

By Tom K

Apr 15, 2019

uses a dictionary and misreads a definition on the page. also presents mostly psych 101 content.

By FABIO N A G

Sep 17, 2020

no me gusto el curso por que esta en ingles lastimosamente no puse cuidado y me inscribí en el

By abhishek y

Jun 20, 2016

one of the worst course ever

By Leone A

Jan 3, 2016

mind-numbingly boring

By Lakhan P

May 2, 2020

This was my first online course and the experience was outstanding. Learned so many new things. I would recommend it to everyone because it helped us to learn how we are getting influenced by everyone.

Thanks you University Of Michigan for creating a such an amazing course and Thank you coursera for providing me opportunity explore this course.

By Roxy M

Apr 3, 2016

This course is amazing. I've only been through the first week, but I've already learned more than my actual classes at school. It has given me a different perspective on power. I have already found this information useful in my current office and will be incredibly valuable when I am put into a leadership position. Thank you!

By Ram M S

Jun 1, 2020

The course is great one as this helps people to learn techniques one can apply to influence others so that their view point is considered and also facilitates them to be part of a recognized group. The course teaches persons as how not to get affected by manipulative influence from others and protect their interests.

By eold7

May 8, 2016

I really want to continue enrolling in Michigan State University after having this course such attractive, I also would consider this university for my master degree.

I love that this is not a theorethical course, this has so many examples, so many practical tips, this is what I consider as strong in the course.

By Vasileios N

Jan 13, 2016

It is a great opportunity to learn the basics of how to exert influence and how to shield yourself from others' influence. I had the chance to have two very knowledgeable and well grounded professors on this subject that articulate very well, thus make it possible for any foreigner to follow easily the courses.

By Milan M

Dec 20, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and the overall specialization. Both instructor Scott and Maxim shared very valuable knowledge, skills, and experience.

For anyone who is looking to become a Leader, I would recommend this course and specialization.

By Angela M

Jan 11, 2021

I earned a lot of information that can help me in mu career.Thank you ver much.Sending love

By Jelena L

Jan 3, 2021

my first online study, i enjoyed it a lot, right tempo, interesting and very informative!

By Y K D D T

Jan 3, 2021

I am a new learner for this subject .I learned a lot and the lectures are fascinating

By Vinayak P

Jan 3, 2021

Nicely designed course. It covers influencing as well as how not to get influenced.

By Hanna, R

Jan 3, 2021

Excellent! I learned a lot of useful information and skills

By Sumit S

Jan 21, 2021

I found the program really great. Kudos to Coursera team!!

By SONU R J

Dec 28, 2020

Course helps to improve interpersonal skills.

By Mohamed A