Back to Machine Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Learning by Stanford University

Machine learning is the science of getting computers to act without being explicitly programmed. In the past decade, machine learning has given us self-driving cars, practical speech recognition, effective web search, and a vastly improved understanding of the human genome. Machine learning is so pervasive today that you probably use it dozens of times a day without knowing it. Many researchers also think it is the best way to make progress towards human-level AI. In this class, you will learn about the most effective machine learning techniques, and gain practice implementing them and getting them to work for yourself. More importantly, you'll learn about not only the theoretical underpinnings of learning, but also gain the practical know-how needed to quickly and powerfully apply these techniques to new problems. Finally, you'll learn about some of Silicon Valley's best practices in innovation as it pertains to machine learning and AI. This course provides a broad introduction to machine learning, datamining, and statistical pattern recognition. Topics include: (i) Supervised learning (parametric/non-parametric algorithms, support vector machines, kernels, neural networks). (ii) Unsupervised learning (clustering, dimensionality reduction, recommender systems, deep learning). (iii) Best practices in machine learning (bias/variance theory; innovation process in machine learning and AI). The course will also draw from numerous case studies and applications, so that you'll also learn how to apply learning algorithms to building smart robots (perception, control), text understanding (web search, anti-spam), computer vision, medical informatics, audio, database mining, and other areas....

JS

Jun 17, 2017

Everything is taught from basics, which makes this course very accessible- still requires effort, however will leave you with real confidence and understanding of subjects covered. Great teacher too..

OK

Apr 18, 2018

You need to know, what do you want to get out of this course. It gives you a lot of information, but be prepared to work hard with linear algeabra and make efforts to compute things in Mathlab/Octave.

51 - 75 of 10,000 Reviews for Machine Learning

By Karl M

Aug 11, 2017

Very nicely explained the mathematical topics, even for people like me with some phobia regarding large formulas. Useful hands-on experience with MATLAB coding, which I would have had to learn anyway.

By Maksym M

Aug 22, 2018

So much like it. It gave me starting push in this interesting topic. And one important thing that after this course I figured out I need to continue dive into machine learning.

By Akyuu F

May 08, 2019

Excellent Machine Learning Lessons which need little advanced knowledge of mathematics.

By Spencer R H

Feb 03, 2019

It would be nice if it's taught in either python or R. So I do need to take extra effort to learn octave.

By Mathew L

Sep 25, 2015

This course is absolute garbage. You get no feedback on your quizzes or assignments and the professor is one of the most boring I've ever seen. It's absurdly frustrating to repeatedly fail without any feedback as to why you're failing.

The lectures are clearly from a math perspective, as the prof simply draws what he's talking about on the slides. His hand writing is poor, and he does a lackluster job of explaining what exactly he's doing.

Finally, pure lecture with no notes is almost impossible to learn, as there's nothing to read and study.

I'd rate this course a 1/10, take the course on iTunes from Caltech instead.

By Rui C

Dec 12, 2015

However good the material and lectures may be, the use of an outdated version of Octave (which is not Mac-friendly and exceedingly brittle, to the extent where the supplied code requires manual patching in Windows and Linux) is a complete turn-off and makes it nearly impossible to complete the assignments on time unless you're prepared to spend at least twice as much time debugging your setup as doing the actual assignments.

I'll come back when this is done with R or Python.

By Cesare C

Jun 20, 2018

good course; just 2 suggestions: improve the skew data part (week 6) and furnish the formula to evaluate the number of iteration in the window from image dimension, window dimension and step (week 11)

By abbas k

May 30, 2019

so useful

By Goulven G

Jan 10, 2019

This course could be a nice introduction and overview of the Machine Learning field.

However, the video transcripts are TERRIBLE — do not attempt to find any traces of grammar in them ! After a while I figured there were lecture notes (seriously, why hiding them under Resources ??? some people don't want to or simply can't watch the videos), but some of them lack information needed for the quiz so for some sessions you still have to watch the videos or endure the transcripts anyway.

But MOST OF ALL, the course has an incredible number of (acknowledged) errors, sometimes critical for the programming assignments, and you have to dig into the forum and Resources Erratas to figure them. Given that this lecture has been online at least since 4 years and some people actually PAY FOR IT, I find this utterly disrespectful, hence my low rating.

Furthermore, note that the validation script for ex5 is too permissive : it accepts wrong linearRegCostFunction implementations, which makes the second part of the assignment quite painful to debug…

By Mehdi A

Feb 25, 2018

Too many trainings and assignments without enough practice, exercise and examples. This can be very confusing for a person taking the course for the first time.

By Nicholas D

May 14, 2019

Truly an exceptional class. Not often will someone with a deep proficiency in a discipline have the time or incentive to share their insights and teach to others; this class is a rare exception, and given the vital importance of machine learning to the future, I have a great appreciation and debt to Andrew Ng.

By Simin L

May 14, 2019

Great class! Should be recommended for every individual who wants to learn machine learning and don't have time or oppotunity to take a class at their own univerisity, this class is a guidance for the basis of machine learning and gives me instructions where to go next. Thank Ng really much.

By Yash B

May 25, 2019

This course was very well taught. There was a impressive focus on the basics and fundamentals of each topic. The lecture slides encapsulates the topics well and thus there was no such need of making my own notes which speeded up the learning process ;).

By Sunesh P R S

May 17, 2019

This is course just awesome. You get everything you wanted from this course. It covers on all topics in detail, helps in getting confidence in learning all the techiques and ideas in machine learning.

By Weixiang Z

Apr 03, 2018

Very nice course,. Give a fundamental knowledge of machine learning in a clear, logic and easy-to-understand way. Suitable for those who has relatively weak background of math and statistics to learn.

By Carlos E R d S

Jul 16, 2019

The course will give you the incites to understand the data driven mathematical functions to write softwares that can behave or change its behavior, based on stimulus (data).

Andrew Ng is excellent

By claire.hou0701@gmail.com

May 18, 2019

sehr gut!

By Ganesh K A

May 16, 2019

If it was in python, then it would have got 5 star from me.

By トミー ペ

Feb 03, 2019

This course was very difficult, coming from a non-math/matlab background, but did teach me a heck ton about the world of machine learning, for which I am eternally grateful. Life got in the way big time, and it took a lot of time and energy to complete the programming exercises. There was also a lot I didn't understand, and I did wish there was maybe another week of getting used to certain concepts, particularly maths issues like double summing. I appreciate that this would complicate things though. I found that I am not geared towards the forums - my learning style involves conversation and not really experimenting on my own (which I can do once I understand a concept). As helpful as the mentors were, only relying on the forums with my time schedule meant that that taking this course dragged on longer than I would have liked. I also got a bit overwhelmed by the lack of centralised information. I know that it would require a complete overhaul to sort such out, but it did make looking up information time-consuming. Nevertheless, I am grateful for all that I learnt, and appreciate that I plunged into the deep end. I don't understand everything, and of course a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I know enough to know what to refer to should I ever need ML in my next job. Thank you.

Apr 02, 2019

Have to give a star so I will give it one. Others rate this course highly. I don't know why.

Course states no requirement for knowledge of linear algebra. However this is not really practical and seems disingenuous. I have spent a lot of time re-learning linear algebra.

I have spent much more time on the work than the course states and unless you are currently involved in similar work you probably will too.

I have never received any response to the feedback I provided.

Many times I have been frustrated because the math material is treated casually but then later success on quizzes and assignments are based how well you understand the math. So while the instructor and content can treat the math as casually as they wish, unfortunately, you cannot be so casual.

By Bayram K

Feb 17, 2017

I would rename this course as Programming Octave with Application to Machine Learning rather that Machine Learning. Once you start the course you will have to focus on Octave rather than on ML topics if you want to do programming exercises. There is no degree of freedom in programming. You are provided with a lot of weird Octave codes which you will have to complete instead of writing yourself from scratch. More than 50% of my time was spent in order to learn Octave and understand (guess!!!!) Octave codes.

So, if you really want to learn ML and try it in practice this course is not for you. However, you could just watch the videos whose level is not more that elementary introduction to ML.

By Anand R

Nov 20, 2017

To set some context: I am a graduate (PhD) in Computer Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin with over 10 years of experience in both academia and industry. My goal in taking this course was to learn the basics of Machine Learning, and understand what the current excitement about ML and AI is all about. I dedicated 3-4 hours every week, over the last 12 weeks, towards learning this course — and watched all the videos, reviewed all the lecture .pdfs and completed all the project assignments and all quizzes in the course on time.

About the course: This is one of the best courses I have taken (and I have taken more than 10 courses on coursera, edX and Udacity). Dr. Andrew Ng needs no certificate of approval from anyone. He is clearly a wonderful teacher, and I felt I struck a chord with him. There are few people who can explain complex concepts clearly without over-simplifying. Some people don’t have the ability, and often those who do, don’t care enough. The difficulty often lies finding that boundary — the boundary where the complexity of a computation or a problem or a strategy can be abstracted out (with a black-box, or an analogy) and a student can make progress in thinking about the problem without getting bogged down. Dr. Ng does that very well in several places and my deepest respects to him for doing that.

Clearly, Dr. Ng is a pactitioner in the field. The material was very well structured, very well paced and presented in bite-sized modules. The project assignments were both challenging and quite realistic. I feel a tremendous sense of confidence having completed this course, and I hope to try out some ML challenges on the web in the near future.

Last, but not the least, I cannot appreciate Dr. Ng more for the effort and dedication he has put into the subject and into his teaching. I felt a touch of nostalgia as the course ended suddenly with the last video (which was very moving, btw) and there was no NEXT button to click on. Being an educator myself, I know it takes a LOT of time and effort in developing a course. After completing this course, I felt I owed it to Dr. Ng. to purchase the course. I feel proud and happy to be certified as his student.

Thank you, Dr. Ng.

Thank you coursera.

By Irfan S

Apr 06, 2020

Extraordinary course for beginners (as well as for people with experience)!

If you are a beginner (as was I before taking this course), then this course is the perfect way to start learning Machine Learning. Even if you have some experience with ML, it'd be useful to learn about the recommended practices for choosing the right approach for a problem or something like debugging an algorithm.

Dr. Ng presents a huge amount of information in a structured manner, bundled with questions within videos that keep you focused. The quizzes and programming assignments complement the lecture videos. The programming assignments are in Octave. This is not necessarily a negative point (as other reviews are saying). If you are familiar with Python (or C/C++/Java etc), then it won't take you more than a few days at maximum to grasp the syntax of Octave. There is a lot of helper code in the programming assignments, so you mostly focus on the actual implementation of algorithms and such. Dealing with vectors and matrices in Octave has been a relatively better experience for me as compared to in Python. If you're stuck with programming exercises, then there are elaborate tutorials in the Resources section.

Possibly what I loved the most about this course is how Dr. Ng always mentions the recommended way of doing things (and how things are done in the industry). He also teaches you real life examples of how ML is currently being used by companies (for e.g. the course weeks on Recommender systems, Photo OCR, etc). So, if you're trying to learn ML for job prospects, this will be of great help.

Even though there's a fair bit of math (Linear algebra and some Statistics), Dr. Ng will help you walk through it and make you understand what you need to know.

Overall, this course has been a great help for a beginner like me. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a course to start learning ML.

To Dr. Ng, the mentors of this course, and all the people who made this course possible, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's not easy creating so many hours of content (lecture videos, quizzes, assignments) and providing it online to thousands of people. I'm grateful for all your efforts.

By Kevin M

Dec 14, 2019

This is a terrific class! The Course is well structured in terms of videos, invideo pop-up quizzes, course notes, programming exercises, and the discussion boards & mentor community. The 11 weeks includes 8 programming exercises, with usually 5-6 "code submittals" per exercise.

The option of OCTAVE or MATLAB is great (I used MATLAB). A key aspect of this course is using vectorized methods in every programming assignment. There was always an option to write a procedure approach (e.g. do loop for summation steps like sum of squared differences for gradient descent or linear regression). The computational advantage, the simplicity of using vectors, and ending with "crisp" code is a great step

I have completed a similar class from MIT (Python or R based) and the exercises in this class were far superior in reinforcing the course materials.

This journey takes you through Supervised Learning models leveraging Linear Regression, Logistic Regression, Neural Networks, and Single Vector Machines and how gradient descent is the cornerstone to determine the theta values needed to optimize your hypothesis. Unsupervised Learning using K-means, PCA, and Anomaly Detection. Specific real life example for Recommender Systems, Character Recognition and large scale machine learning.

The various topics on "advice" by Professor Andrew Ng is invaluable. Understanding how to measure performance of your algorithm is key. Underfitting (bias) and over fitting (variance), regularization, learning curves, evaluation (precision, recall, and F1), and error analysis. Of particular note, is his understanding how to objectively determine how to what to work on next and how to apply "ceiling analysis" in complex pipeline ML applications.

A final note, the course mentors are unbelievable! Tom Mosher and Neil Osgrove are truly special. Their understanding of the material, their patience, and their incredible responsiveness is highly beneficial to the learning experience. You have to do the work and figure it out, but the mentors are there to help you navigate the Machine Learning journey!

By Boquan Y

Mar 19, 2020

Really a great course. It covered a large variety of currently popular machine learning algorithms, along with strategies to do machine learning projects. Professor Andrew really goes deep into how to optimize a machine learning model to reduce bias and improve performance with a lot of techniques, not just simply implement a fancy machine learning algorithm. At first, I complained about programming assignments because it is done in Matlab, but after I went through some of them I really discovered that Matlab is a powerful tool used for a broad range of purposes. The course goes beyond just model.fit(x,y) and model.predict(x,y), because you'll learn the essence and mathematical proof of each ML algorithm to really comprehend how each algorithm work and how optimization work. You can still learn to build ML models in python even by yourself after this course.

However, there are still some problems I want to mention. First, for some algorithm in the second half of the class (e.g. SVM with Gaussian kernel, anomaly detection), professor Andrew didn't sufficiently mention how math works, just giving the conclusion of how we should implement. I understand that maybe it is because the mathematic proof is too complicate here or it is not necessary to know the mathematic for mastering this type of algorithm. But I still hope that I can have a deeper understanding of every model based on mathematics. Another thing is that programming assignments didn't teach us how to plot graphs. Our work is only limited to "backend" implementation, which is the completion of the algorithm using a mathematical approach. I still hope Professor can introduce how to plot different kinds of graphs to really integrate our knowledge on "backend" to "frontend" for further data analysis.

Again, this is a great course, and anyone who completes this course will gain a lot of insights on ML and will have a solid understanding for future ML studying. Thank you, Professor Andrew!