Back to Robotics: Aerial Robotics

Robotics: Aerial Robotics, University of Pennsylvania

About this Course

How can we create agile micro aerial vehicles that are able to operate autonomously in cluttered indoor and outdoor environments? You will gain an introduction to the mechanics of flight and the design of quadrotor flying robots and will be able to develop dynamic models, derive controllers, and synthesize planners for operating in three dimensional environments. You will be exposed to the challenges of using noisy sensors for localization and maneuvering in complex, three-dimensional environments. Finally, you will gain insights through seeing real world examples of the possible applications and challenges for the rapidly-growing drone industry. Mathematical prerequisites: Students taking this course are expected to have some familiarity with linear algebra, single variable calculus, and differential equations. Programming prerequisites: Some experience programming with MATLAB or Octave is recommended (we will use MATLAB in this course.) MATLAB will require the use of a 64-bit computer....

By IT

Oct 23, 2017

The course is very good.\n\nThe classes are well taught and show general concepts. It is necessary to do research on the internet, to solve the assignments. This is not a bad thing in my point of view

By ST

Jun 09, 2018

I think this is very good course of aerial robotics research. Being a student of robotics, I feel that some of stuffs in this course needs a good background in control and mechanical engineering.

464 Reviews

By Stephen Foy

Jan 17, 2019

Good course , note there is lots of fundamental maths !!

By Carlos Alberto Ruiz Mora

Jan 14, 2019

This is a very enlightening course, though I find it it a bit tough... but that is how we learn! I just can't wait to go and apply the knowledge I got from it.

By Laukik Mujumdar

Jan 07, 2019

A great course for anyone starting out to study robotics. Modelling, transformation, control, etc. are nicely introduced without resorting to mathematical rigour, as it should be in an MOOC.

By Nikola Mandic

Jan 05, 2019

great course

By chris schulz

Jan 03, 2019

Great coverage of the material with excellent supporting videos and text as well as meaningful Matlab exercises.

By Yang Fei

Jan 02, 2019

The last assignment is quite hard and the materials given for the it is blurry. It took me two weeks to finally get the core of the last chapter. Thanks to all the guidences provided by the past students, most of us get through. Hope some changes can be made for this class because I still think it is really interesting for engineering students.

By Nandakumar Lingaraj

Dec 27, 2018

Right course to understand the science behind quad-rotors.

By Joudy Nader

Dec 14, 2018

This course was amazing. The presentation were very clear and Prof. Vijay Kumar is excellent when explaining every detail of the course. What I liked the most is the challenges faced during the assignments and the content which was great. Thank you

By Sathivada Chetan Kiran Sai

Nov 25, 2018

Firstly. I thank Mr Vijay Kumar and his team to take time & efforts on preparing the material which is structure perfectly for a beginner like me.

Secondly for giving us explicit videos and materials for the research carried out on drones especially quadrotors at Penn State University, this not only helped me with the course for which I had liking, but has also opened up options for master program in your prestigious university.

Lastly, I thank all the students who have been active on the forum to respond on issues faced in programming assignments. Thank you all, happy learning.

By vamsi venkat

Nov 24, 2018

A little mode like a demo video to integrate all the systems and make the video could help as a supplementary material to work on their own.