Back to New Models of Business in Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for New Models of Business in Society by University of Virginia

In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we will be discussing the emergence of a new story about business. This new story locates business within a societal framework. Almost every business creates or destroys value for customers, suppliers, employees, communities and society, in addition to shareholders and other financiers. A number of new models of business can be built on this idea such as corporate responsibility, philanthropy, shared value and sustainability. Profits and stakeholder value go together, and this course explains how. The final session explores the idea of how to become a stakeholder entrepreneur and create a business that makes money and makes the world a better place....

YL
May 4, 2020

Nice Course..The way of delivering and passion of the professor for inspiring students is excellence..\n\nit helps me to think in a better way about business & Got lot of Insights ...Thank u Professor

PS
May 7, 2020

It was nice to know different ways through which a potential entrepreneur can contribute to the society. I really liked the way Prof. Edward Freeman explained by giving numerous examples. Thank you!

901 - 925 of 1,057 Reviews for New Models of Business in Society

By Maydelene L

It was a very nice introductory course on business models, so it was easy to follow to someone who doesn't have a background in business studies. However, I feel that the organisation could be improved better, as I found myself being confused about how some points are jumped from one to another without clearly saying so.

By Gordon O

The topics and examples were very strong and made me (a mature student) aware of some things I hadn't considered before. The experience and knowledge of the instructor was top shelf. I enjoyed thinking deeply about what was given. I would be inclined to incorporate many of the lessons when starting a business soon.

By Natasha A b B

Jul 10, 2020

As someone who barely has the knowledge in basic business or entrepreneurship, the course took a bit of time to digest. Even so, the passion in the professor's tone really pushed me to continue what I started. All in all, really enjoyed it-inspired me to ponder whether I should start a business for a better society.

By Sayyed D A S H

Apr 26, 2020

I understand the difference between the old story and the new story of the business. I learn about the new models of the business. This course helped me to understand the purpose of the business that is not only related to earning a profit. businesses play a vital role to make a better society. Thank you, professor.

By Ayush S

The course was quite helpful for me a sit gave a deep insight about the various possible business models i today's era. The instructor also delivered the content thoroughly and gave several practical examples to make us understand the technical aspects easily. Thank you coursera for providing this course.

By Scott B

Jan 3, 2016

I felt this course was stimulating, thought provoking and challenging. The course for me was about awareness more than just passing the quizzes. I felt the interviews were especially interesting. It is my hope that as I move towards opening my own business I keep many of these principles in mind.

By Tony C

May 5, 2020

Very insightful course. Introducing new ways of doing business without being controversial. Would be nice to have a summary of the course as slides.

Professor Freeman explains the new concepts clearly leaving always the student to draw conclusions on the new ideas.

Truly enjoyed.

Thank you.

By Abhishek K

May 14, 2020

The Course taught me about how businesses can affect everyone's life and make this society a better place. All we need is passion to make it possible by making it a win win for everyone.

Fill the other's guy basket to brim so making money become then an easy proposition~Andrew Carnegie

By Ronald t V

May 12, 2020

A very informative course with a lot of video material that makes it very practical. One of the videos was in very poor quality, but that was an exception. The teacher is an inspirational person to watch. I wish it would have a little more lessons because it's a very interesting topic.

By Thomas S

Sep 7, 2015

We are just beginning to tap into the Sharing Economy. This course gave me lots of valuable updates and new knowledge to better understand the change is business that is transforming the way we live and prosper at the same time as we together take care of the world around us.

By john n

Sep 24, 2015

I took this course as something that would give me some additional knowledge on business and it got me looking into the sources and main themes the instructor talks about more. I have so far come away more informed than what I was expecting for sure. Highly recommend it

By MARIA R S C

Apr 26, 2020

I am really grateful to the course instructor who gave me an opportunity to learn not only the theoretical models of business but also new models emerged in the society. Experience shared by various CEOs really helped me to understand the concepts deeper. Thank you.

By Spandan B

Sep 6, 2020

An insightful course about the alternatives to the existing business models and narratives that harp on only money and profits and instead provides new models of business with a social purpose and which focus on stakeholder engagement and conscious capitalism.

By Krishnendu P

Jul 4, 2020

This course really helped me to shape my thought towards different aspect. I helped me to increase my confidence. Learned lot of new tool for new models of business and gained a great insight about connection of business with society. Thank you professor.

By Ankit P

May 1, 2020

I have learned a lot about business . Difference between old business and new business. Also it tells about the philanthropy and its good effects on society. The best part of the course is that the experiences of CEOs of different companies.

By victor k

Sep 11, 2020

I really learnt a lot about the new model of business. The professor spoke with so much knowledge and clarity.nit was as if I was right bin a classroom listening to him teach. Now I feel more encouraged to get an MBA in Business.

By Primanda R A

May 4, 2020

Inspiring courses, the materials a bit obsolete though, these practices are quite common nowadays especially in startups, but still relevant and forgotten by many people. Take this course if you want to be a changemaker!

By Julia L

The course gave a good overview on how to think of businesses in this day in age. I wish the content had been a bit more up to date, as some of the theories and examples given as novel are quite widely known nowadays.

By Sholanki G

Jun 2, 2020

Lots of new things to learn. The instructor spoke quite interestingly. The best thing about the course is week 3, where 3 very successful entrepreneurs speak about conscious capitalism. I'll recommend this course.

By Karan B

Apr 27, 2020

Loved the concept as well as the thorough understanding of the faculty. Really changed my outlook towards business models, as well as forced myself to think more towards alienating thoughts to these needed models.

By Abrar H

Jun 19, 2020

Easy to understand lecture and vivid description makes it so easy for me to complete the course, and new models of business ideas was a good point for anyone to understand and implement the learning in real life.

By PINNA S C

Sep 8, 2020

I would firstly thank my professor for this course Mr R Edward Freeman for be so patient and has taught everything that i could gain from this course. I am glad to look at business from a different perspective.

By Renato M M R

Good afternoon! Thank you professor R. Edward Freeman, I saw your recommendation to visit your website and check your music out from a COURSERA training! Your teaching about ethical business is amazing

Thanks!!

By Mahmood A

An interesting course for the novice in this area like myself. It will let you look at the corporations and businesses differently and while it does so, it also encourages you to be the change we all look for.

By Elena P

Dec 15, 2015

A concise and inspiring course, urging to cast a critical eye on the prevailing "business-is-all-about-shareholder-value" mindset and to redirect it towards a sustainable, moral, stakeholder oriented approach