Back to Advanced Data Structures in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advanced Data Structures in Java by University of California San Diego

How does Google Maps plan the best route for getting around town given current traffic conditions? How does an internet router forward packets of network traffic to minimize delay? How does an aid group allocate resources to its affiliated local partners? To solve such problems, we first represent the key pieces of data in a complex data structure. In this course, you’ll learn about data structures, like graphs, that are fundamental for working with structured real world data. You will develop, implement, and analyze algorithms for working with this data to solve real world problems. In addition, as the programs you develop in this course become more complex, we’ll examine what makes for good code and class hierarchy design so that you can not only write correct code, but also share it with other people and maintain it in the future. The backbone project in this course will be a route planning application. You will apply the concepts from each Module directly to building an application that allows an autonomous agent (or a human driver!) to navigate its environment. And as usual we have our different video series to help tie the content back to its importance in the real world and to provide tiered levels of support to meet your personal needs....

DB
Oct 12, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

SU
Jun 7, 2017

Fantastic course! I would recommend to anyone interested in learning the graph data structure in a fun and hands-on and engaging way! Definitely one of the best courses I have followed on Coursera.

226 - 250 of 281 Reviews for Advanced Data Structures in Java

By Suraj S

Jan 21, 2016

Good course to build confidence in building a class from scratch.

But, I expected more from this course. A few lectures could have been devoted to popular design patterns used in Graph problems maybe.

One more assignment to actually make the students work on heuristics for solving NP-Hard problems would have been helpful.

By Dong C

Dec 26, 2017

As usual, I really love this specialization, but I didn’t rate 5 stars, I feel like the videos are fewer to help go through the project. I was stuck in week 4 and it is really really challenging, but I do enjoy the process to figure out all the details and think it over and over again. Thanks UCSD professors ;)

By Leah S

Mar 23, 2018

Really hated "Just guess the closest of the multiple choice if your answers don't match. It's not always exact." as quiz instructions. That was just horrible. Figure out some better way of grading it.

The rest of the course was lovely, challenging and fun. I especially enjoyed the NP section.

By Abhishek A

May 23, 2021

It Helped me a lot to study different algorithms and concept challenges. The Only Problems was regarding debugging an mentor help which was totally disregarded. Worst Experience in Case of mentor help in Coursera elsewhere course was something one couldn't imagine of and had fun coding.

By Peter S

Jan 31, 2016

Course was well paced. Assignments were relevant. Only shortcoming I believe was that the last two weeks of the course did not require any submission of a coding assignment. Only required a quiz.

I feel that the course would benefit from a requirement to submit some code each week.

By Roy C

Jun 11, 2018

Beautiful course. I only disliked not being explained anything regarding the GUI used and how everything was created. But in terms of algorithms and advanced data structures, it was lovely. I highly enjoyed learning about graphs, traversing algorithms, complexity theory and the like.

By Zoran H

May 30, 2016

I give really high marks for this course as the graphs are presented in a proper and practical manner. I have a suggestion to present the High Level of Graphs more in the area of Information theory. Otherwise it is nice approach and very good implementation of the material and exams.

By Garmastewira

Dec 30, 2015

A great course as the previous courses for the specialization. I know that the week 4's materials are out of this specialization's scope but I think it's alright to delve in more about P and NP problems. That material is somehow still incomprehensible for me.

By Jeffrey L

Dec 26, 2015

Very interesting programming assignment for the BFS, Dijkstra and A* methods. Great job with that.

The coverage of the TSP was weak -- room for improvement there. Perhaps include a programming assignment.

Overall, the course was a worthwhile investment of time.

By Marie B

May 27, 2016

The course content and presentation was excellent. I love the large-project format of the classes in this specialization. I only wish this course had more resources for working offline, at a level that matches the previous courses in the specialization.

By Makoto I

Nov 6, 2016

Overall, I enjoyed this course. Especially from week 1 to 3 where the course contents were simply amazing.

It would be great if week 4 and 5 can engage the students like week 1 to 3, and the forum can be more alive.

Thank you.

By Kerstin K

Jul 23, 2017

Finally no repetitions any more, and some better assignments. These could still use some work, because I generally find them way too easy. Best course in this specialization so far.

By Lauren H

Sep 29, 2016

This course was excellent! I learned so much and I am now able to understand the significance of knowing how Algorithms and Data Structures are related in a practical way. I

By Thirumal V

Feb 9, 2016

At first the course is hands on, later on it becomes more of theory. This would have been a challenging course if we had more harder graph problems to solve though.

By B V S C

Jun 13, 2020

It was a very good course and I learned a lot about graphs. But the student who takes this course needs strong programming skills in Java and week 4 is tough

By Vasanth B

Sep 16, 2017

I like this course. It helps me to break my fear of using complex data structure. It changed my approach to complex problems. Thanks to the Instructors :)

By Michael H

Oct 23, 2016

This is a really useful course. The project is quite relevant, and the work with breadth first search, Dijkstra, and A* Search are really interesting!

By Krishna A

Jul 13, 2020

The last week extension was great, but I was a bit disappointed when the assessment was only to review what they did rather than submitting the code.

By Lesly A

May 25, 2016

This is an awesome course with great stuff for learning and practical graphs concept in programming with some useful algorithms like A*.

By Nay M L

Nov 26, 2017

It was very interesting to learn in-depth graph data structure in Java. Access to the interactive JavaFX application is a bonus.

By Muhammet K G

Jun 5, 2019

Last weeks should had have a programming assignment, too. When the assignment is optiomal, it becomes a really hard work to do.

By Timi

Oct 2, 2017

It's a great course for getting started with Graphs but for an "advanced data structures" course, this is as basic as can be.

By jiangyuru

Oct 7, 2018

peer-view maybe cause the lateness of my certificate and maybe i should pay more money even if i have finished the course.

By Marcin C

Mar 17, 2016

The contents were pretty basic for me, but they were presented clearly. All in all I liked the review this course gave me.

By Mu X

Aug 27, 2016

I think it would be better if the lectures can go a little bit deeper on the topics in this course.