Back to Bioinformatic Methods I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bioinformatic Methods I by University of Toronto

Large-scale biology projects such as the sequencing of the human genome and gene expression surveys using RNA-seq, microarrays and other technologies have created a wealth of data for biologists. However, the challenge facing scientists is analyzing and even accessing these data to extract useful information pertaining to the system being studied. This course focuses on employing existing bioinformatic resources – mainly web-based programs and databases – to access the wealth of data to answer questions relevant to the average biologist, and is highly hands-on. Topics covered include multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, gene expression data analysis, and protein interaction networks, in two separate parts. The first part, Bioinformatic Methods I (this one), deals with databases, Blast, multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, selection analysis and metagenomics. The second part, Bioinformatic Methods II, covers motif searching, protein-protein interactions, structural bioinformatics, gene expression data analysis, and cis-element predictions. This pair of courses is useful to any student considering graduate school in the biological sciences, as well as students considering molecular medicine. Both provide an overview of the many different bioinformatic tools that are out there. These courses are based on one taught at the University of Toronto to upper-level undergraduates who have some understanding of basic molecular biology. If you're not familiar with this, something like https://learn.saylor.org/course/bio101 might be helpful. No programming is required for this course. Bioinformatic Methods I is regularly updated, and was last updated for January 2019....

ED

Apr 27, 2017

Great course. All lectures provide a biological context for the tools you learn in the labs. The labs themselves provide a great introduction to the many tools available for bioinformatic analysis.

RG

Nov 05, 2017

I enjoyed doing the course. It is exciting to see how much one can learn from a few gene or protein sequences. Thank you for making the course understandable to a beginner in bioinformatics!

1 - 25 of 158 Reviews for Bioinformatic Methods I

By Ahmed H

Nov 19, 2018

Very comprehensive and equipped with all basic techniques.

By Md. S H

Dec 13, 2018

Just wow! The speciality is the discussion forums

By Ravindra K

Jan 08, 2019

A lot of hard work is needed to prepare such kind of courses and lot of reading is required.

Thank you for providing such courses to us thank you

By Pranav S G

Jan 22, 2019

This course is so accurate and useful to the bioinformatic students and the science students who needs help with the computational biology. I would recommend this course to everyone.

By 陈禹衡

Feb 19, 2019

这些软件在学习和研究中都很可能会用到,很实用

By MUHAMMAD U A

Mar 15, 2019

very informative course for basic study of NCBI and phylogenetic studies

By Miguel Á P P

Nov 30, 2018

Considero este curso de enorme utilidad para aprender de forma eficaz diversos aspectos de la bioinformática. Muy didáctico y bien organizado, por lo que lo recomiendo totalmente.

By Fridah G W K

Nov 14, 2018

The course was excellent. The labs give a practical feel of what Bioinformatics is. Great work. Looking forward to Part II.

By Anupam b

Mar 22, 2019

yeah its good for all students, i think everyone must do that .

By fatima

Oct 06, 2018

it was very useful course . thank you

By 周冰莹

Oct 25, 2018

深入浅出,每个Lab讲解非常详细,很喜欢

By Mesut O

Oct 27, 2018

Assessments were stressful. I felt that I've learned the some fundamentals of Computational Biology

By Arslan T

Aug 16, 2018

Well, the course is well organized, but I think somethings should be included e.g. algorithms of phylogenetic tree methods (UPGMA, Neighborjoing etc).

Thanks a lot.

By Yarenci A G

Jul 27, 2018

Excelente curso, muy recomendable

By Roman P

Nov 04, 2018

bioinformatics guide for practical work, great observation of last common use programs and clear explanation of methods

By G. P

Jun 20, 2017

I can understand each and everything clearly, really a good course for basic learners in Bioinformatics.

By Aparna

Jan 08, 2018

awesome course... learned a lot... thank you

By Vasudevan

Jan 18, 2018

Although, it's basic, very useful and challenging one to move forward. Thank you

By chengkaizhu

Jul 29, 2017

excellent

By Mahveesh K G

Jun 07, 2018

As a beginner I found this course really easy to learn with all the lecture materials provided, it gives you a clear picture as to what bioinformatics is all about. The labs and the lab vedios are very interesting and clearly explained. Can't wait to start my second course. Thank you

By Noor M

Jan 28, 2018

excellent course will recommend it to all

By MAHAMADOU A N

Jul 16, 2017

Nice!

By Farah G

Nov 16, 2017

I've been on and off Bioinformatics beginner courses, without successfully completing any, until I took this course. Prof Provart gives the course in a way that is both challenging and inspiring, I was always looking forward to what I would study in the following course, so much so that sometimes I'd take two or three week's worth of courses in one! Thank you for making me believe I can traverse the intricacies of Bioinformatics with my purely biological training. I highly encourage absolute beginners to bioinformatics with no coding skills (like myself) to take this course. Many thanks Sir

By Nissi P M

Dec 11, 2017

Thankyou for the course... learnt a lot ie., very useful in future

By Margarida M d C

Mar 11, 2016

I personally found the course very useful. It provides a good overview of some of the most widely used bioinformatic tools nowadays, without being too demanding. That labs are particularly good, and you are able to explore at your own pace but with the necessary guidance. I have a background in molecular and cell biology, so I found it very easy to follow.