Back to Business Model Innovation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business Model Innovation by HEC Paris

Innovation goes beyond technology, products and processes. The new competitive landscape requires another, more holistic and strategic perspective, based on the concept of business models. This course gives you access to the Odyssey 3.14 approach, a pioneering framework that will help you invent or reinvent business models. This highly innovative approach has been developed by Laurence Lehmann-Ortega and Hélène Musikas and has proven to be a very valuable methodology for start-up entrepreneurs, business unit managers and intrapreneurs alike. It offers a practical and highly effective framework and toolbox to create, invent or reinvent business models in a very disciplined way. The approach starts with a deep dive into the 3 pillars of the business model: - The value proposition (who are our customers and what are we offering them?) - The value architecture (how are we organized in order to deliver this value proposition to our customers in due time) - The profit equation (how the alignment between the first 2 pillars generates a profit) 14 directions are then explored in order to invent or reinvent a business model. Examples of the directions include “reducing clients overall costs”, “modifying the revenue stream”, “introducing a third party”, “eliminating a step in the value chain”, and “exploring new resources”. Illustrated by numerous examples, both iconic (Ikea, Tetra Pack, Grameen Bank…) and more recent (Airbnb, Zopa, Drive Now…), these directions stimulate your creativity to rigorously explore all possible innovation paths. Innovation becomes an adventure, an odyssey… hence the name of the approach! Odyssey 3.14 is the result of over 15 years of research, consulting and teaching. Over 150 companies that have successfully invented or reinvented their business model have been thoroughly analyzed and will inspire you to develop your own new, innovative business model. This course is a part of the MSIE program at HEC. If you liked it, do not hesitate to consult the other courses of the program....

CF
Nov 11, 2020

I really loved! The method is amazing, I am looking forward to use it in my company. I am just missing a cmplete report, or material that I can print and have in hands with all the content .

RD
Dec 25, 2020

It was one of the most interesting courses I have taken in my life! It made me think of changing my career and wanting to work on creating business models for companies. Thank you!

1 - 25 of 110 Reviews for Business Model Innovation

By Arnaud G

Feb 20, 2018

Really interesting method and perfect lessons. This is one of the best mooc i followed since 4 years (and the first i finished on coursera plateform). Don't hesitate. If you're an entrepreneur, if you're a manager, if you're student, no matter why : you'll find a really good approach to answer lot of questions about business comprehension.

By BENOIT D M

May 6, 2018

Very good course! the pedagogy is excellent, and the whole way to re-invent a business model is really operational! thanks a lot for the people who prepared this course!

By Adam M

Aug 6, 2017

It was a good course, but I felt that there was some difficulty with the questions; they were not always well defined.

This was generally not an issue on the multiple choice questions, but for the open assignments that were graded by fellow students, I felt like it was an issue. We did not always know what aspect of the assignment would be graded. In addition, I feel like this led to some grades from fellow students that were "out of scope"; basically, they were grading on things that were not part of the grading rubric.

By Ribu T

May 12, 2016

Truly a pioneering course that has been explained in simple and straight forward terms yet highly effective context-based case studies. High valuable for start-up entrepreneurs. business unit managers and intraprenuers. This is exactly why HEC is one of the world's best business school. Thank you for delivering a world-class course.

By Sallim L

Aug 8, 2017

Excellent Course! I loved the methodology and the case studies. Very useful. Other business books and courses just tell you what a value proposition should be, this course guides you step by step on how to create a value proposition.

By Akarsh P

Well structured course with numerous examples of business model innovation to relate theoretical principles to real world implementation. A must do course !!!

By Jadson C d S

Jan 10, 2021

The evaluations do not correspond to the material in difficulty level. The first quiz on the case study has 20 technical questions that need some calculations. These questions are not related to the understanding of the Business Model, but to technical specifications of the company's business model. I consider the course so many directed to professionals in the area and little to students interested in the theme.

By Cressan

Nov 29, 2016

Une belle et très originale approche méthodologique de l'analyse d'un business model et des innovations y afférentes

Un cours richement illustré d'exemples concrets tirés de secteurs diversifiés (le cas JCDecaux est à la fois si commun dans nos vies quotidiennes et si peu connu qu'il en devient très pertinent par exemple)

J'apprécie avoir pu suivre ce cours après quelques mois d'expérience professionnelle, je crois qu'il est bon d'avoir un peu de recul et de pratique pour pouvoir en tirer pleinement avantage (notamment sur l'analyse stratégique et les outils financiers sommaires utilisés)

Un très beau cours, merci !

By Melanie M

May 8, 2018

It has been a great learning experience both on a content and pedagogic point of view. The way Laurence Lehman Ortega and Helene Musikas revisit business modeling is very smart, impactfu and user friendly. Their apporach can be easily used jointly with others and seems to me one of the pillar of business modeling. Sumiting a business case is tedious but the best way to learn ! It takes some time and engagement to do it well but the success is really enjoyable !

By Monika F

Dec 30, 2020

This was an amazing experience and such an excellent learning opportunity. I never considered business model innovation an easy subject, but the Odyssey 3.14 makes this effortless and is a great framework, that's also easy to communicate. The teachers were fantastic, explaining complex things in easy to understand language with great examples and the right level of detail. WELL DONE.

By OLIVIER D

May 3, 2020

Thank you, my comment is very positive. This course will bring me a lot as an entrepreneur. I appreciated the number of cases analyzed, the concept of value curve is very important. Quizzes to assess yourself are well done, the cases to study can take time if you want to get to the bottom of the question. The feedback from other learners is interesting.

By Tonny Y

Feb 8, 2020

The Business Model Innovation is a practical and insightful course. It helps me think about how to explore new business opportunities using the 14 directions of business innovation. I would highly recommend this class to everyone, especially who is keen to start up a new business or enter into a strategy division.

By Jyoti D 1

Sep 29, 2020

I loved everything about this course. Really innovative and well designed to help the candidate learn and apply the practices. I would like to enrol in other courses by this university, it is really incredible what it has taught me in a short amount of time. Thank you to the curators and creators of this course.

By Elie J K

Jan 14, 2021

This course gave me a lot of new idea, i found it very interesting and full with relevant example of innovative business model. What could be revised is the graduation scheme for the final exam, this should be more adapted to the directives we are given before drafting our presentation.

By Rahul S

May 7, 2020

A great course with myriad examples to illustrate each of the concepts of Odessey 3.14. Have learned a structured framework to pursue innovation in any industry unlike random ideas and buzzwords which dominated the innovation space till now. Overall, a great learning experience.

By Santiago B A F

Feb 11, 2021

The content of this course was something very new from anything I've seen regarding innovation. I now have a new perspective on innovation and a newly found passion for business.

The videos and case studies have a lot of value, are very well detailed and easily understandable.

By Roland P

Oct 24, 2017

The first 2 weeks are a wonderful trip into business model innovation. Maybe weeks 3-4 are a little bit "standardized". But overall, the exercices, fun and discovery is well worth the time and money ! Thanks a lot to the faculty, Laurence and Helene.

By Darren P C

Jul 1, 2020

The course was very informative and well-structured. It gave a lot of opportunities to analyze existing business models. The peer-graded assignments really allowed the learners to apply what they learned from the entire course.

By Jesus J S G

Aug 16, 2020

Excellent course and excellent teachers. It helped me a lot to expand my knowledge about business models and innovation, giving me a broader vision, and teaching me a very practical and easy-to-implement methodology.

By Cyril S

Oct 13, 2020

A very informative and analytical course. I have benefited so much from the course. In addition, the methods used in the course are awesome. I will definitely apply what i've learned in m career. Thanks to HEC.

By Picard F

Nov 16, 2016

What a great course, I have to say that it has helped me a lot and specially now where I am setting up my new business. Congratulations to both of them for having inspiring me during the course. A bientôt FP

By Carolina P F

Nov 12, 2020

By Rym D

Dec 26, 2020

By Mazen A N

Jan 17, 2017

Superb course with great structure and well designed modules and videos. You end up with a very practical toolbox to think about business models in a very disciplined way.

By Adel M S

Jul 6, 2020

This course provides you a great way to structure any idea of yours and it provides you with a lot of innovative examples which makes the course extremely impressive.