Back to Data Wrangling, Analysis and AB Testing with SQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Wrangling, Analysis and AB Testing with SQL by University of California, Davis

3.5

This course allows you to apply the SQL skills taught in “SQL for Data Science” to four increasingly complex and authentic data science inquiry case studies. We'll learn how to convert timestamps of all types to common formats and perform date/time calculations. We'll select and perform the optimal JOIN for a data science inquiry and clean data within an analysis dataset by deduping, running quality checks, backfilling, and handling nulls. We'll learn how to segment and analyze data per segment using windowing functions and use case statements to execute conditional logic to address a data science inquiry. We'll also describe how to convert a query into a scheduled job and how to insert data into a date partition. Finally, given a predictive analysis need, we'll engineer a feature from raw data using the tools and skills we've built over the course. The real-world application of these skills will give you the framework for performing the analysis of an AB test....

MF
Sep 22, 2020

A good course for learning and apply sql to conduct analysis on ab testing results. Would be better if the instructor could provide more info about how to design and apply AB Testing on the customers

SP
Jul 29, 2019

The instructor is very smart and her syllabus is very easy to follow. The real life examples are great and helps put ideas in perspective! I would definitely recommend this course and already have!

26 - 50 of 189 Reviews for Data Wrangling, Analysis and AB Testing with SQL

By Clayton S

Jul 2, 2020

Before you start familiarize yourself with mode.com and the report builder function, it is required for the final project. This is an advanced class with an assumption of baseline skill. If you don't have that skill you may find yourself in the weeds solving problems. But, the explanation by the instructor, Kat, really do help you understand how to solve problems. I did find myself struggling with some of the problems, in part because the problems can be vague, like real life. My advice, follow her code and logic and skills she teaches.

By Jennifer B

Dec 30, 2019

A very thorough overview of SQL and how to best structure data tables and metrics for AB testing. I appreciate the high quality content of the UC Davis courses!

By Cristina R

Jan 17, 2020

Pretty informative course!

Sometimes the descriptions of the practice exercises seem a bit fuzzy, but as you go with the course it gets easier to understand how to interpret the requirements. Very helpful solution videos!

By A. M B

Mar 1, 2021

The course is not very well structure, I understand that this subject is not the easiest one to teach, but one thing that could help is to give a structured representation of the database with all the keys that are in it. you have to almost guess what is in it.

The videos should be more carefully planned, the solution videos are a little messy and some steps are not explain

By Chelsey S

Jul 16, 2021

I'm highly disappointed in this course. Although, I did learn and practice a more intermediate level of SQL, I was highly disappointed videos and final assignment. As noted by others, Kat (the instructor) sometimes spends multiple minutes trying to determine why her own queries aren't running. The clicking of the keyboard is also HIGHLY annoying. I wished they took more time to think out this course before making the videos.

Also, and perhaps even more importantly, the final assignment which is done through the MODE app, does not allow you to create a link to share your work publically. You must have the BUSINESS version to share externally. On top of that, you can't even quickly get a free trial in order to share the link. MODE wants to schedule an appointment to discuss a trial before they give you access to a trial version of an upgraded version. Why would this course require a paid version of a service to do the final assignment? That seems unacceptable to not state upfront. And if it was an oversight, that is also unacceptable for a MOOC with hundreds, if not thousands of people taking the course.

By Mariza M

Nov 8, 2021

C​ourse is difficult to follow, a lot of the assignments/quiz questions are vague, the reference materials are no longer accessible. If you are doing this as part of Learn SQL Basics for Data Science Specialization: this course references SQL not learned in the first course. You can muddle through but it's frustrating the whole time.

By Mike F

Sep 23, 2020

By Soprano R

Jul 12, 2020

It is pretty useful course to understand how to prepare data for AB Testing in real database environment. you should know SQL intermediate leve before starting this course.

By Karan B

Mar 21, 2020

Course was ok overall. I learned the basics and the SQL was good. I learned a lot about the basics of SQL through the course. However, the video could have been better edited and the prompts/questions (especially in the final project) were difficult to understand.

By Shaini K

Dec 8, 2021

The course had a lot of interesting material and covered a lot of concepts, however, the HW was unorganized and very little information was provided to get it started. The course needed a document with a schema for the data set and much more guidance in solving the problems. Sometimes, the solutions videos were to fast and skipped over the code quickly so that it was hard to take notes. A guide to the solutions in a document would be great too. However, I learnt a lot and will continue to practice using the other resources provided in the course.

By Naveen J

Nov 15, 2021

From the start the course seemed to be interesting. However, the tutor Ms. Kat wasn't that great at her teaching skills. This is my view and experience and not sure about others. I felt she must have a great knowledge about Ab testing and SQL but unable to pass the same to her students. I faced difficulty in understanding her situation, examples and more importantly how she write queries. There is no explanation on how and where the query comes from. She states clearly that if you don't understand please review the previous course or lessons. There are many stuffs in Course 2 which were not taught or shown in Course 1 to refer from. All above, using Mode analytics was not that user-friendly specially while submitting the final assignment. There are not clear indication or guidance how to use where to go etc. If we need to do self learning we could have gone directly to mode and grasp the knowledge. Her solution videos with typing noise was irritating. Overall, the course has so much to learn and understand the data but for me it wasn't that easy with such tutor especially with fresher like me in IT field or SQL knowledge. Sadie on other hand for Course 1 was way better in explaining and easy to understand. All the best to other guys enrolling this course. I am thinking to enroll for next course which is SQL with Spark. Hope that will easy to understand. I would rate 2.5 stars actually.

By 林弋渝

Aug 20, 2020

Her teaching mode made me feel very irritable, and I even abandoned class for a while. Many solution videos contain uncertain factors, including many mistakes. I can't get the point very accurately.

By G M A E

Jun 26, 2020

am sorry but this course was very hard to understand , i think the content was very disjoind

By Jessi K

Dec 10, 2021

Content was hard to follow and very little instructions were given on how Mode works.

By John H

Oct 18, 2021

Poorly conceived and terribly executed overview of terms loosely associated with SQL. Initially I was kind of surprised that UC Davis would associate itself with such an embarrassingly deficient product. Once UC Davis started sending me unrelated fundraising emails, however, the purpose of the course became clearer. Data Wrangling, Analysis and AB Testing with SQL is a cynical marketing stunt which is primarily a means for generating a fundraising listserv. I would recommend the free SQL tutorial from Mode, however.

By Mahmoud E S I

Jan 24, 2022

Absolutely awful. This was by far the worst course I took on Coursera. There was no flow of ideas, new concepts fly out of no where. The instructor's explanation was lackluster and unclear. The structure of the course in general is a disgrace, I don't know how they though it's good idea to publish it. Not to forget the unclear assignments and their flawed solutions that don't even give the same answers when you run them on Mode. I only continued the course to complete the specialization.

By Fryderyk Ł

Nov 18, 2021

I am honestly dissapointed by the quality of this module. I simply despise the way this course is conducted, it's chaotic, not that well explained and somehow done in a manner that's not up to the standards of such courses. The videos are not prepared with enough care and respect, different excersises aren't presented in an easy and understandable way for somebody willing to get a better grasp of SQL, but without some big experience. A big letdown.

By Christofer H

Nov 27, 2020

Worst course i ever did.

By Kasra S

Aug 22, 2021

Don't waste your time.

By Silvia V V F

Nov 6, 2021

Un excelente curso , que requiere un nivel intermedio de conocimiento en SQL , como mejorar y optimizar las consultas siguiendo buenas practicas, aprender y aplicar SQL para realizar análisis de los resultados de las pruebas ab, como construir métricas adecuadas para la toma de decisiones en base a la naturaleza de los datos. Sería mejor si el instructor mejorara un poco su didáctica, hay partes que resultaron algo tediosas sobre todo en algunos ejemplos prácticos y si pudiera proporcionar más información sobre cómo diseñar y aplicar pruebas AB

By Ayomide O

Sep 24, 2021

I'll give it a 5 mostly because this is one of the few in-depth SQL courses on the site, plus it actually goes beyond Joins and all that other pre-advanced stuff. I actually learnt new methods such as using windowing functions and using AB Testing. It could be better, yes, but we need more hands-on courses like this one.

By Karina S

Jan 19, 2020

Great course!! I have learned a lot about how to evaluate the quality of the data received, how to problem solve with SQL when asked ambiguous business requirements, tips to do multiple selection editing in text editor (that was a great discovery!), metrics and AB testing. Highly recommended!

By Olabode A

Apr 23, 2021

The information in this course is very great as well as the practical part of the course. The instructor was very great and knowledgeable. Thus, I recommend this program to anyone who is interested in learning SQL queries.

By Ajith S R

Nov 25, 2021

It's perfect. The course starts from Nuts & Bolts and gradually reach the hype i.e., A/B Testing. It triggers us to explore lot about the content and resources given were astonishing. Keep up the great work.

By Endong T

Nov 8, 2020

The assignments are pretty difficult, and I think this course suits those who have advanced SQL skills and wanna use SQL to solve higher level problems. The lecturer are pretty interesting, and I enjoy that.