Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed. (software is not provided)...

AF
Apr 16, 2020

Don Boyes is one of the best instructors I have seen. Throughout the course, I never felt boring. So all credit goes to Don Boyes for making this course very interesting with his good sense of humor.

BA
Aug 3, 2020

This course is the basic introduction of GIS. It gives an insight of the GIS system especially the projection systems. Out of all these Professor Don Boyes made is so entertaining. Thank you Prof!!!

101 - 125 of 472 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Marino M M R

Jul 27, 2020

Excellent descriptions of each topic proposed in the unit. The explanation of the coordinate systems and their projections exceeded my expectations. Excellent teacher.

By Rupok C

Jun 15, 2020

Excellent course with a depth contents on Geography. For a beginner, the course and especially instructor Mr. Don has motivated me to pursue further knowledge in GIS.

By Juthika M

Sep 30, 2020

I AM REALLY HAPPY WITH THE COURSE. I AM A STUDENT OF GEOGRAPHY BUT IT HELPS ME CLEARING MANY BASICS CONCEPT WHICH WAS A LITTLE HAZY FOR ME BEFORE. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

By Sarah R D

Aug 24, 2020

This is an amazing course. The video lectures are very well thought out and are easily understandable. Definitely recommending this course to my friends. I loved it!

By Hirad Y

Dec 28, 2020

I think this course is vital for individuals. At least by the passing of this course, people learn how to properly navigate their locations and many other skills.

By Tabita B B E M [ R

Sep 22, 2020

From this course, I could learn about real-world mapping, on satalight image and it is really usefull for my entire life and especially it's related to my course.

By Khaled A

Feb 11, 2020

Amazing course, really well done and I highly recommend it. Thanks, Don and the rest of the team for organising such a valuable course I look forward to the rest.

By BRYAN S T G

Jun 19, 2020

The course was very useful, the modules are well distributed and the explanations are clear and didactic, which facilitates the full understanding of the course.

By Arezoo R

Jun 5, 2020

Great course with a great teacher, such a wonderful class.Great slides and free arc GIS account to work with.learned so much and thank you for this opportunity

By Aston M

Aug 13, 2020

Just started learning about GIS due to my interest and the instructor makes it more involving and fun to learn it. Continuing my further journey of courses.

By Lorena N R

Jun 3, 2020

The course is excellent! All the content taught was based on a lot of practical knowledge by Don Boyes. All explanations were made clearly and objectively.

Jul 19, 2020

Excited to learn more about GIS. The best ever experience learning online.

Thank you University of Toronto for such opportunity and enthusiastic faculty.

By Devayat K

Aug 27, 2020

Very good course of GIS. It gives good introduction of all things related to GIS specially projection part is very good to understand coordinate system.

By Shashank K

Jun 18, 2020

Frankly a beautifully structured course. Element of basics are very important for GIS Developer. I'm Going to rest of three course provided by Don Boyes

By Kush K

Aug 4, 2020

This entire course is designed very well and is very helpful to all beginners. I am very thankful to Don Boyes sir for sharing his valuable knowledge.

By Siddharth S V

Jul 25, 2020

Very nice first course in the specialization. Take this course to gain basic knowledge about geographic information system and know how to use arcmap.

By Creesialyn A L C

Jun 16, 2021

the class was very informative and convenient. Thank you for Professor Boyes for the lectures and thank you also for the financial aiders out there

By Lizbeth C

Jul 27, 2020

Don Boyes does an exceptional job of explaining GIS mapping concepts. He clearly illustrates the bigger picture of the work behind map projections.

By Anthony R

Excellent instruction videos from an enthusiastic and knowledgeable instructor. This was a very enjoyable introduction to the field of GIS Mapping.

By Rafael D P B

Sep 26, 2020

I learned a lot of new things. The teacher explains everything clearly and the content of the course is very good. I liked this course very much.

By Karthik N

Some times paragraphs cant explain the quality of efforts taken by the course coordinator, hence just one word "AMAZING COURSE "- Period....!!!!

By Hillson G

Feb 19, 2020

Excellent Course. Great Professor and the way he delivers the course contents in just amazing. I had learned many things to get started with GIS.

By Esteban S

Jan 6, 2021

Excelente curso, muy completo y detallado. Perfecto para las personas que están iniciando en el mundo de los sistemas de información geográfica.

By Isaac Q

Apr 21, 2021

I have been using the GIS, for some time now but this course has introduced me to a number of things and boost my confidence in using the GIS

By Lila G S C

Dec 28, 2020

Muy completo y entendible. El inglés del profesor es excelente para aquellos para los que el inglés no es su primer idioma. Super recomiendo.