Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed. (software is not provided)...

AF

Apr 16, 2020

Don Boyes is one of the best instructors I have seen. Throughout the course, I never felt boring. So all credit goes to Don Boyes for making this course very interesting with his good sense of humor.

KS

Aug 1, 2021

This course is all about the introduction of GIS. It gives an insight of the GIS system especially the projection systems. Don Boyes made this course very easy and so entertaining. Thank you so much.

101 - 125 of 560 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Camilo A E T

Aug 10, 2020

Muy bien desarrollado el curso, presenta una base teórica adecuada para iniciar con los SIG. Ya había usado ArcGIS, pero este curso me dió la base para usar muchas de las herramientas.

By Niveditha B R

Apr 11, 2022

An excellent course to learn the basics of GIS and ArcGIS! The instructor's pedagogical approaches are funfilled and insightful. I enjoyed learning from you, Sir Don Boyes! Thank you.

By Katherine V P J

Nov 17, 2020

El mejor curso introductorio a los sistemas de información geográficos, permite aclarar muchas inquietudes conecptuales que son fundamentales para avanzar en temáticas más complejas.

By sarah s

Oct 5, 2020

This course was very well done for an introduction course and the instructor is easy to listen to and understand. I recommend this course to anyone who would like to learn about GIS.

By Daša B

Aug 31, 2020

Great course. I strongly recommend it to everyone who wants to learn more about geographic information system and want to fully understand different settings while creating new map.

By Cedenia G M

Aug 17, 2020

This course is amazing. Perfect for learning theory and practice at the same time about the basic tools of ArcGIS and the necessary knowledge in Geographical information systems.

By Milton S

Jun 28, 2020

It was a great introduction to GIS, it has been really informative, easy to understand and useful. I strongly recomend this curse to anyone whos interested in GIS understanding

By Ar. R B

Jun 2, 2020

Professor Don Boyes is awesome, He knows very well how to make a class into interesting and enjoyable to the learner. His skillful video lecture session is very much helpful.

By Salome S

Mar 22, 2022

Very clear and easy to follow. I'm now on taking the second course and believe that I will master the skills necesary for disease surveillance mapping. Awesome instructor!

By Nahuel B

I learned a lot of foundation and theory about GIS, also about geographic coordinate systems, which is very helpful for my work. Very well explained and precise course.

By Marino M M R

Jul 27, 2020

Excellent descriptions of each topic proposed in the unit. The explanation of the coordinate systems and their projections exceeded my expectations. Excellent teacher.

By Rupok C

Jun 15, 2020

Excellent course with a depth contents on Geography. For a beginner, the course and especially instructor Mr. Don has motivated me to pursue further knowledge in GIS.

By Juthika M

Sep 30, 2020

I AM REALLY HAPPY WITH THE COURSE. I AM A STUDENT OF GEOGRAPHY BUT IT HELPS ME CLEARING MANY BASICS CONCEPT WHICH WAS A LITTLE HAZY FOR ME BEFORE. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

By Sarah R D

Aug 24, 2020

This is an amazing course. The video lectures are very well thought out and are easily understandable. Definitely recommending this course to my friends. I loved it!

By Hirad Y

Dec 28, 2020

I think this course is vital for individuals. At least by the passing of this course, people learn how to properly navigate their locations and many other skills.

By Tabita B B E M [ R

Sep 22, 2020

From this course, I could learn about real-world mapping, on satalight image and it is really usefull for my entire life and especially it's related to my course.

By Khaled A

Feb 11, 2020

Amazing course, really well done and I highly recommend it. Thanks, Don and the rest of the team for organising such a valuable course I look forward to the rest.

By BRYAN S T G

Jun 19, 2020

The course was very useful, the modules are well distributed and the explanations are clear and didactic, which facilitates the full understanding of the course.

By Arezoo R

Jun 5, 2020

Great course with a great teacher, such a wonderful class.Great slides and free arc GIS account to work with.learned so much and thank you for this opportunity

By Aston M

Aug 13, 2020

Just started learning about GIS due to my interest and the instructor makes it more involving and fun to learn it. Continuing my further journey of courses.

By Lorena N R

Jun 3, 2020

The course is excellent! All the content taught was based on a lot of practical knowledge by Don Boyes. All explanations were made clearly and objectively.

Jul 19, 2020

Excited to learn more about GIS. The best ever experience learning online.

Thank you University of Toronto for such opportunity and enthusiastic faculty.

By Kamaliya D R

Aug 27, 2020

Very good course of GIS. It gives good introduction of all things related to GIS specially projection part is very good to understand coordinate system.

By Shashank K

Jun 18, 2020

Frankly a beautifully structured course. Element of basics are very important for GIS Developer. I'm Going to rest of three course provided by Don Boyes

By Kush K

Aug 4, 2020

This entire course is designed very well and is very helpful to all beginners. I am very thankful to Don Boyes sir for sharing his valuable knowledge.