Back to Building Web Applications in PHP

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Web Applications in PHP by University of Michigan

In this course, you'll explore the basic structure of a web application, and how a web browser interacts with a web server. You'll be introduced to the request/response cycle, including GET/POST/Redirect. You'll also gain an introductory understanding of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), as well as the basic syntax and data structures of the PHP language, variables, logic, iteration, arrays, error handling, and superglobal variables, among other elements. An introduction to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) will allow you to style markup for webpages. Lastly, you'll gain the skills and knowledge to install and use an integrated PHP/MySQL environment like XAMPP or MAMP....

YY

Feb 10, 2018

Even being quite an expert in area, I still enjoyed this course a lot and learning quite much from it as well. Highly recommended to everyone who developed an interest to PHP and web-applications.

VN

Feb 21, 2018

Thanks for a great course by which I learn a lot of experience from the experts :-). One of the my assignments has been gradually developed into a more robust site at https://englishpicture.net

1 - 25 of 292 Reviews for Building Web Applications in PHP

By Mansoor H

Dec 04, 2018

Amazing, truly amazing.

PhD. Charles Severance is a great teacher, and shows how easy it is to get into coding and start using the tools that creats the biggest web applications to date.

It starts with some history and ends with you beating the code to write php!

By Nada F A

Apr 02, 2018

the explanation is too general

the assignment is not that related to the given material

there is no option for editing after submit

By Felipe G

Oct 26, 2018

Excelente curso para aquellos que recien empiezan, muy buena introduccion para el desarrollo web. Recomendado!

By César R P V

May 01, 2019

great introduction to web applications

By Carlo M

Mar 27, 2019

Love this professor! About the course, I would have preferred some more practical knowledge and exercises about the object-oriented paradigm.

By ONG K S

Aug 14, 2018

A very comprehensive course for newbie who wants to develop skills in web development.

Explained in simple-to-understand way for non-tech guy.

By Le M

Dec 05, 2018

Excellent foundational. The "big picture" of a webapp interaction and then the basics of the major players. Of course a personable instructor sure helped!!!! Now on to a deeper learning voyage with no confusion on which way to go.

By henry h

Dec 01, 2017

The class was particularly challenging when it came to the CSS portion. I understand it better now. It would not hurt to study a little bit on HTML and CSS even before the class.

By John K N

May 25, 2018

Great and exciting class with a dedicated instructor who has clear and detailed course material. He was able to keep the class interesting and involving with a fantastic attitude.

By John Q

Oct 02, 2018

Excellent and pragmatic

By Benoit T

Apr 02, 2018

A very good introduction to PHP. I went from having no clue of what was going on beyond my screen and now I'm able to run my own website, with scripts, on a private server. Thanks!

Only thing I'd say is that for some exercises, the provided material is almost too complete and there aren't enough things left to figure out on your own (which helps me a lot to learn).

By Rocío D

Nov 15, 2018

Clear and easy to understand. I wish a few lesson would be much more practical than background about the language, but I guess it's just something to improve.

By Maksim M

Nov 09, 2018

It is a very good course and I've learnt a lot. The instructor is excellent. A bit more of practical exercises with each lecture would be just great!

By Enoch P

Mar 22, 2018

This was a great course, led by a great instructor. Some of the assignment specifications could be improved.

By Cyan C

Dec 01, 2017

Preferable if there is more exercise

By Sharon C

May 07, 2018

more advanced PHP would be good!

By ISSAM T H

Jan 30, 2018

Very good startup course.

By Dexter A

Jan 23, 2018

Things went well most of the class but it can be a bit hand holding in some places and absolute sink or swim in the final week with many students struggling with the assignment and the forums being little help.

By Aaron H

Dec 30, 2018

If you have html and css behind you already you can easily complete this course in a weekend.

By manav j

Feb 04, 2018

basic course...good for beginners

By Ahmed H

Jul 14, 2018

Superficial.

By Mehdi S

Aug 28, 2018

It was so simple course, I expected that I spend my time for a professional course but unfortunately it didn't. It doesn't have any challenges like real world and I wasn't satisfied from this course

By Saulet Y

Jun 20, 2018

The start of the course was really fun and interesting, but then it becomes boring and complicated, especially in week 6,7 and 8. The assignments for weeks 6 and 7 were not useful and meaningless.

By Juan M R

May 03, 2018

This course is wonderfull.

I can see in the way he show the content; he have been doing this by years and years and he master it.

He go slow or fast , according to the complex of the matter.

In this course you will find some screen captures of code, and he will show you step by step how that code works.

The content are just the best you can get (music pictures etc..).

This course is a breaking point, for someone who have java or c knowledge

I made 200 web sites from 2008 to now running in apache, using php, and i have my own C.M.S. and i did not know the 98% of the power than php have , this course show me the moyo of php.

if i can travel in time and take a course in the past it will be this and get some bitCoins. =).

I'm just going true week 5 and i love it .

This course is much productive and useful, if you do it with some knowledge from before in java, python , c, c++ , or whatever .

This course is the result of years of thinking and developing. We will die and this course and some programs we will do in php will keep running in servers. This course show you hot to mix html and php. and introduce you in a way to work on db.

By Zachary C

Mar 03, 2018

Dr. Chuck does what so many - including Codecademy - fail to do: teach a programming language while making sure his students really understand its context and use. In one video he explains how HTML, CSS, SQL, and PHP all play their role in the request-response cycle in loading a web page. On its own, that video has done more for me in terms of understanding the web and its languages than any other online course I've taken. To top that off, Dr. Chuck takes care to guide his students through the perks, quirks, and nuances of each language.

All in all, as someone who's failed to really engage myself in learning a new programming language after fiddling around with others for so long - since "beginner" courses tend to be light on everything but syntax - this course was nothing short of perfect for me. Thanks, Dr. Chuck!