Back to Weight Management: Beyond Balancing Calories

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Weight Management: Beyond Balancing Calories by Emory University

Across the globe, more people are suffering from obesity than at any other time in our history. Why has obesity become so common and so challenging? In this course, we will look at the root cause of obesity, as explained by the latest science. We will see how our food environment has evolved over the last half-century, and how it is altering our biology to over-consume calories and resist sustained weight loss. We will also see how stress, a sedentary lifestyle, and inadequate sleep disrupt our appetite control system to promote gaining weight. By developing a better understanding of the physiology behind obesity, you will learn how to work with your body to prevent and manage weight gain. This course will also provide practical tools and strategies for creating a long-term, sustainable weight management plan to leverage your habits and your surroundings....

GS

The content and flow of the course are optimum and thought-provoking. The quizzes are designed with an inclination towards practical application, which helps one to apply the learnings from the week.

RR

There is so much this course taught me about habits that I didn't even realize were unhealthy. A lot of information to take in and hopefully I change my lifestyle accordingly. Thank you so much!

26 - 50 of 290 Reviews for Weight Management: Beyond Balancing Calories

By Santiago R C

Jun 5, 2020

I find this course to be a good starting point, it has great ideas to implement in your daily life. However i wish it had more information on how to develop a diet. Also I was expecting more from the citations, they use a lot of newspaper articles and blogs instead of linking directly to the research papers.

By Vernett C

Oct 13, 2020

This is a very good course. Im a Public Health Nutritionist and fell somewhat off the wagon during this COVID-19 shutdown. I was home for 1 month, but my family has been home since March. Preparing 4-5 meals/day became overwhelming at times, especially after returning to work and so I joined in buying and ordering not so healthy foods often for some relief from the kitchen. Also work was very stressful April-Sept., so again, I ate junk foods much more often than usual- in small amounts, but still more often- processed snack cookies almost daily. .

This course helped me to get back on course with what I was doing before the pandemic and what I know I should be doing as far as putting away the processed cookies or at least not having them daily, increasing sleep time and especially getting back on track with physical activity.

By Elline C

Nov 11, 2020

I already am practicing some of the lessons in this course but I'm ready to take on better habits for a better lifestyle. Compared to the knowledge before in my weight loss, I'm currently trying to gain muscle and this course has helped me to develop better habits like avoiding distractions to have a healthier relationship with food. In time, I wish to practice this with my friends and family to help them make better lifestyle and food choices.

By Tomas R

Dec 1, 2020

Great introductory course built on solid foundations. As a Precision Nutrition Level 1 coach I'm familiar with most of the approaches suggested and knowledge shared in this course. Still, it was a good refresher. For someone, who's completely new to weight management, or has followed the common advice available on internet so far, this can be a very valuable and educative course that shows him the right way of thinking about the whole topic.

By Pat L

Apr 15, 2021

This is an excellent course. It was well designed, provided pertinent, up-to-date, evidence based information. The course delivery is very good with multiple opportunities to gain the information. I learned a lot.

The peer review approach to grading is good but would benefit from having more nuanced marking. Some people provide very comprehensive responses while others only the basics, but both get the same mark.

By Jennifer B O

Jun 1, 2020

I found this course very helpful and informational. While not overweight or obese myself, I know that with my family history and different health issues keeping my weight at a healthy level is very important. It is also great to have quality information when talking about diet and health with friends and family members who may be facing these challenges. I will definitely suggest this course to others!

By Wink K M

Sep 14, 2020

A really clear and concise course! I have learnt so much about healthy eating and how I should embrace it as a part of me. I believe it is essential for us to gain awareness on our daily physiological responses and and how certain behaviours and habits leads to weight gain. As such, not only does making adjustments to our diets and lifestyles improve us physically, it also helps us grow as a person.

By greeka f

May 8, 2020

This is the best weight management information I've ever received. Love that it's based on up-to-date science. The video lectures are short and to the point which is so helpful to my learning style. Knowing the reasons for adapting healthy habits makes it a lot more motivational to do rather than just being told to do healthy things because they're healthy. Thank you so much!

By Riya G

Jan 14, 2021

I audited the course and I completed all the videos. As an obese person myself, I started to realize how important to cure this disease is and all the lectures really motivated me to undergo a healthy lifestyle. In a nutshell, if you are a person who wants to lose weight, do go through all the videos. They really speak to you!

By Rayanna C

Dec 19, 2020

I believe that everyone needs to take this course, its not only beneficial for work but also for one's personal life, I have learnt things about the body and food relationship that are invaluable and I have no doubt that everything I learnt is going to be applied to my health and fitness journey

By Prerna B

Jun 15, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this course as I could bring the changes, which I am learning, in my daily plans. The course explains in a very simple and appropriate manner the importance of good eating. It also gives you knowledge of how our environment and stress affects our eating so much.

By DR. S N

I love this course so much. Very great online course about weight management for everybody who need to learn about weight loss. Thank so much to Emory university for make this course. Hope everybody bring the great knowledge from this course to apply in your practice.

By Jessica A S

Apr 17, 2021

This was a great Course I really received a great deal of new information that I never learned in any of my other Nutrition Classes at my current University. I highly recommend this course if you are in the fitness industry or just want to learn more about nutrition.

By Savita

Jul 16, 2020

The whole form the beginning to an end structures as no one can be distracted. During the whole session I got plenty of ready material and each and video sessions are really interest with point to point information. I can say weight loss is beyond balancing calories.

By Nathalie L

Oct 30, 2020

The instructor was very thorough and she explains really well. The content of this course was a revelation to me because it was revolutionary and yet very credible. I look forward to implementing in my life what I learned from this course. Highly recommended.

By Tracey E

Apr 30, 2021

Excellent course material, detailed scientific information. My first completed course with Coursera and it really exceeded my expectations. The lecturer was clear and concise and provided plenty of additional reading material to support the lectures.

By Stefany P E

Sep 15, 2020

MUY BUENO. Aprendí bastante, ya de por si soy amante del tema y con este curso aprendí mucho más. Muchísimas gracias por todo el material pero muy en particular por los enlaces porque fueron bastante informativos y educativos y siempre mis favoritos.

By James R W

Apr 7, 2021

The instructor instills confidence that she is an expert on the subject matter and if you implement the ideas presented you have a good chance of success. The content is on point, relevant and full of practical and implementable ideas. Well done!

By Hema s

Jun 5, 2020

It was an amazing experience with the course instructor, she explained everything in a detailed manner and it was understandable. This course was very helpful and the app was very handy.Thank you for providing me such a wonderful opportunity.

By K H

Jun 15, 2021

This course is foundation for my healthy life style. Understanding your body is a very important thing to love yourself and this course has put me in a place of comfort otherwise I wouldn't have had it.

Instructor was great at lectures.

By reena a

Aug 18, 2020

It was really a worth taking course with each lecture having new topic, new idea of healthy lifestyle and new topic to learn each day of your life.

I really liked the course and have learnt a lot from Weight Management: Beyond Calories

By Jorge V G P

Oct 6, 2020

The course is really inspiring! It allows my self to reflect and redirect my actions in order to be more conscious and mindful of all the food that I take. I hope many will try and I would gladly recommend this course to my friends.

By Marine R

Mar 4, 2021

This class was awesome! Learning so much, it's clear, simple to understand. The teacher is a really good speaker, gives great exemples and support everything she teaches with diverse articles and studies from other universities

By Lisa B

May 4, 2020

An enjoyable course which offers solid advice that gets you thinking about what you are consuming. Very practical and easy to implement. There was quite a bit of reading which was not my favorite part but overall worth it.

By Sandra A

Nov 19, 2020

The course is really insightful, it has enlightened me on weight loss and now I see Obesity in a different perspective. It is clearly explained and the quizzes really require critical thinking .Its worth learning.