Back to Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order by University of Michigan

This course will teach you how to use your written words to become more persuasive. You’ll learn creative ways to use syntax, effective techniques for telling stories, and a clever method for arranging a complex series of information. You’ll also get a chance to both professionalize your use of punctuation and add a bit of style and sophistication to how you craft everything from sentences to slogans. In addition, you’ll get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include (1) the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2) two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; and (3) a monthly “Good Sentences” email. Social media has only accelerated the ways in which we all must learn to use our writing to connect, compete, and create—sometimes all at once. So join us for this first course in a four-part series and experience the many benefits, both personal and professional, of becoming “good with words.”...

Jul 02, 2020

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Excellent teaching and excellent material. Everyone can improve their professionalism by taking Professor Barry's writing on course, it's not just for lawyers.

SA

Jun 30, 2020

For me, I felt the pace incredibly amazing and could be followed even during tough and busy days. The exercises were amazing. I and my peers have already sensed the difference in my writing.

1 - 25 of 116 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

By Tiwalade F

This is not well put together. For a course on writing, it certainly lacks structure.

By Surabi G

Jul 06, 2020

Great course. I learned new concepts and some tips and tricks on how to make writing persuasive for the readers.

By Santosh S

Jun 25, 2020

It's fantastic course, particularly for Non-native speakers like me for whom English is tertiary language.

Faculty is very enthusiastic and putting in lot of efforts to make course interesting and engaging. And even though it is course in writing and mainly coming from law school faculty, it draws so much from psychology or behavior literature that I never felt alien in the class! Thanks for this.

By Shaheer A

Jun 30, 2020

By John C B

Jun 25, 2020

This course succeeded in conveying key concepts, terms and approaches to enable me to improve my writing. It was well worth while.

By MANAS S

One of the strongest, to-the-point courses I have taken to instantly make improvements to my writing

By Ahadul I

Jul 18, 2020

This course is brilliant! I started this course, among all the other writing courses on writing available at Coursera, because for its Power of the Particular principle (which I learned during the course): the name of the specialization stands out. It is not like "English Writing" or "Advanced Writing", rather it is 'Good With Words'.

The professor, Patrick Barry is really an impressive instructor. He designed the course so really well! The course is more of a business communication course than just a writing course. The instructor guided on how to communicate better with writing.

By Chris T

Aug 12, 2020

Professor Barry is an excellent instructor, and this is an excellent course. As a professional writer, I aspire to keep learning and sharpening my skills. This course helped me do those things--and more!

By Isha K J

Aug 02, 2020

This course introduced me to new concepts that I knew but never realised how these can make a difference in my writing like words under the words, rule of three and chiasmus.

By Renato d S P

Sep 10, 2020

As someone who is very passionate about languages, literature, grammar, communication, and cultural knowledge, I had a most wonderful experience while doing this course. I was really excited about everything I was learning throughout the course... so much that I mentioned it to many of my friends. This course has afforded me a lot of new content by referencing so many books, authors, articles, and other resources online. There is no doubt in my mind that all these new ideas, concepts, and strategies have helped me advance my writing skills in a more conscious, rich, and purposeful way. Thank you so much for this course. This is probably the best MOOC I have taken on Coursera so far!

By Gaurav G

Jun 25, 2020

An absolutely wonderful course aggregating and emphasizing useful concepts, drawing on learnings from a number of experts from diverse fields, all to help you become a better writer, a more objective critic of your own work, and most importantly a better thinker. If you love to write, you would learn a lot from the useful pointers and resources. If you love to read, you would have a blast feasting on some exceptional pieces of written work. Professor Barry tries to keep it simple and fun, and still manages to deliver some deep impact insights.

By Connie B

Aug 18, 2020

I am an aspiring writer expanding my knowledge base through a student's eyes. I found the presentation and course content taught by Prof. Barry outstanding. The weekly assignments include the amount of time it may take to complete them which helps when you also have a full-time job. I do not feel that I could have found a better learning environment than the Coursera program. Thank you.

By Maria I F

Aug 13, 2020

This course was amazing. It took me longer than I expected, but it really is amazing. The material they provide is great. I learned many concepts that will be greatly useful for my writing in upcoming works. I especially loved the summaries at the beginning and end of each week; that recalling of previously seen topics made it easier for me to keep information in my head.

By Joseph E M

Jun 11, 2020

Patrick Barry has put together and very interesting course, not only for law students. Take from someone who has always hated "English" classes. This course grabbed me from the very start. I've always known I needed to improve my writing. I now feel much more confident with my writing. I plan to continue with all the Good With Word courses.

By Qing L

Aug 31, 2020

I really enjoy the class because the class has variety of learning approaches that help to drive home the key concepts. I also like Professor Barry's reading list that helps student to appreciate good writings from various writers. As encouraged by this class, I will continue my next class in this serial.

By Abigail B

This was a very helpful course. It zeroed in on various points that are important for good writing, and I found it very engaging and well presented. The readings were interesting and fun as well. Overall, this was a great course, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in improving their writing.

By Obe H

Jul 13, 2020

I never knew there was much to writing until I took the first part of the specialization. From Words under The Words to Power of The Particular, it has been enlightening all the way. permit me to say that this is The Right Course Era!

By K. S

Oct 01, 2020

I appreciate writing on a higher level and recommend this course to all who love to write. The professor, Patrick Barry, is a most energetic and engaging authority on the subject of Writing at a professional level.

By pooja s

Jun 25, 2020

I like the way all the concepts were broken down and explained. Those will always be remembered.

I wish we had more exercises to do- writing wise for practice the concepts rather than just multiple choice

By Evangel R E

Oct 15, 2020

I did not regret joining this course. It has opened a lot errors in grammar and improved my writing to its potential. Thank you professor Patrick Barry for being our mentor throughout the whole 4 weeks.

By Stephen

Jul 02, 2020

By Akshatha S

Sep 20, 2020

Professor Barry's videos are quite engaging and encouraging. A lot of interesting reference materials are provided and the assignments help you get started on improving your writing skills.

By Asisha J

Sep 17, 2020

Extremely helpful. Of course, I'm not a law student, but the pointers for better writing and practicing writing have been extremely beneficial. Looking forward to the rest of the courses!

By Tolulope A

Jul 25, 2020

I definitely mentioned Professor Barry in my blog https://tolulopeinspire.com/2020/07/12/no/, thank you for helping me realize that it's a whole new and big world in writing.

By Rebecca D

Sep 17, 2020

Patrick Barry is a really engaging instructor. This is a well-planned course with immediately applicable advice. Would highly recommend to people in all professions.