Back to Developing Data Products

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Data Products by Johns Hopkins University

A data product is the production output from a statistical analysis. Data products automate complex analysis tasks or use technology to expand the utility of a data informed model, algorithm or inference. This course covers the basics of creating data products using Shiny, R packages, and interactive graphics. The course will focus on the statistical fundamentals of creating a data product that can be used to tell a story about data to a mass audience....

Mar 3, 2016

This is a great introduction to some of the many ways to present your data. It's probably the easiest course in the specialisation but shows off an impressive array of widgets and gadgets.

RS
Nov 18, 2018

This course was amazing, it could definetly be more deep in each of the subjects, but gives you so much practice in tools that are very useful in the day by day of a data scientist

276 - 300 of 399 Reviews for Developing Data Products

Mar 18, 2017

Great

By Rizwan M

Oct 10, 2019

good

By Christian

Jun 14, 2018

Help

By Ganapathi N K

May 4, 2018

Nice

By Yi-Yang L

Jun 19, 2017

Good

By Larry G

Feb 7, 2017

Nice

By Thuyen H

Apr 20, 2016

good

By Amit K R

Nov 21, 2017

By Samir A G

Feb 7, 2017

V

Dec 16, 2015

In general, an excellent course, taught by competent professors. I believe that in the main this course does very well in achieving its objective of knowledge transfer. However, having experienced it, there were parts where the professor was demonstrating a topic using a video presentation showing him operate a process or screen sequence on his computer. These aspects, like virtually all the material on this course, are of a technical nature and contain many important details. As such, to help complete and re-enforce their learning, students require something like a sequence of slides that they can print out and retain for revision and future reference. In certain parts, the provision of the printable screenshots in the form of slides was absent.

An important theme of the course and Data Science in general is "Reproducible Research". What I'm arguing for here is, "Reproducible Learning Materials" covering a complete course, not only parts of it. Admittedly, it was only a very small proportion of the course that suffers from this defect. But I would not like it to become the norm in the future. As a suggestion, it could be possible to author a lecture using HTML so as to combine the verbatum lecture text with every slide/screenshot image embedded in its right position within the lecture.

I notice Coursera courses have also moved away from the weekly lists of individual lectures together with their links to .txt, .mp4, etc. files. The new presentation keeps you submerged within the flow within each week's series of lectures. One has to 'click out' in order to watch your progress and then re-enter the lectures at a resumption point. I prefer the previous navigation structure in order to access lectures and materials. Printed learning materials are also important for me, in addition to the video lectures. The latter are of course vital as the medium for the initial exposure of the material.

By Stefan K

Mar 21, 2017

I think this one is the best from the Specialization as it is the most Practical one (more than Practical Machine Learning).

Can be taken without the others if you have basic experience in R and want to learn about cool R applications.

The reason I don't give full rating is for not having practical assignment every week. So there wasn't enough effort put into the course. Of course, we can do optional homework and make more applications, but assignments like these should be mandatory. There is no package building and no swirl course building - So why do we have week 3 and 4 at all? The quizzes are also laughable - no knowledge testing at all.

So although I liked this course from the Specialization the most, I still can't give full rating because of the mentioned issues.

By Fernando S e S

Aug 22, 2016

The skills taught in this course are fantastic and I'm sure using them will blow my colleagues' minds away. However, I must say that the lectures on Rcharts and other interactive plot builders sound kinda sloppy, poorly prepared. I know the documentation for those packages is bad and it takes effort to figure out what they do, but that is precisely why a well-prepared lecture would be so useful. I would also talk about license, since we have been dealing with packages that are completely open for use, but these have some restrictions.

By Alessio B

Dec 7, 2015

Taken this course in its old fashion style. Now reviewing the new design was a little bit displacing, but I ascribe this to the fact I've done all the specialization courses in the old design.

However the structure of the course is quite good. Some typos were reported, as well as a bug on the unanswered questions in quiz 3. Main worst point was the missing format of several text boxes. I would have appreciated paragraphs, bold and italic, some links, picture, not only raw plain text.

Overall review is nonetheless over the average.

By Gerrit V

Jul 31, 2017

Great course, I just missed some material on distributing data products as files or objects. Data Science environments are getting connected to traditional BI-environments more and more, now that organisations are getting more used to DS. So it is starting to be important to also deliver data products as files to the e.g. data warehouses, ArcGIS, or open data platforms. I know this is mentioned in Getting and Cleaning Data. But some further elaboration would be nice.

By Ariel M

Oct 30, 2016

This is an excellent course that will teach you plethora of new things! The only gotcha is that things move too fast in the world of Data Science. Some of the topics and code might not work exactly as shown when you take the course, and many things will change. It's up to the student to make-up for the missing pieces, but I guess that is the only caveat when you work in a still-evolving field.

By PowLook

Dec 3, 2015

This course gives a good introduction on how to develop an application.

It gives all the available tools in the field out for us to try and use them.

The course is enjoyable and not stressful. I find the assignment as meant to get us to do the project and not really there to fail us. It is difficult to fail to course as only the minimum is required.

By Greg A

Feb 22, 2018

Analysis is useless if done for its own sake. Once you have found something interesting the challenge is finding engaging ways to share your insights. This course is a bit scattered since it covers so many different ways of publishing and presenting data, but it is a really nice survey of what is out there.

By Joana P

May 10, 2018

I lost myself a little bit, because the materials were a little over the place, we did shiny in the first week lectures and only in the last week the project was about it.

Same with leaflet, I think ti could be structured differently.

But i find them very relevant so that is the reason why I rated it with 4.