Back to Managing as a Coach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing as a Coach by University of California, Davis

Do you (or do you want to) manage employees? Have you ever wondered how to get better performance out of those you manage? Are you unsure if you are communicating effectively with your employees? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then this course – and its associated specialization – is for you! Leadership and management responsibilities have changed dramatically, particularly in the last decade. In order to be an effective manager in increasingly fast-paced and complex organizational environments, coaching has become essential. In this course, you will learn what coaching is and learn how to differentiate between it and all of the other myriad roles managers are expected to perform – managing, mentoring, leading, and training. You’ll learn about the importance of strong leadership and learn to describe your current point of view as a leader, and evaluate when to adjust your thinking in order to be more effective in managing and leading in a rapidly evolving workplace. And finally, you’ll be introduced to the Thought Model, a coaching technique you can use to develop better thinkers and better performers. So if you’re ready to learn all about how to be a more effective and valued manager using coaching techniques, join us as we explore more successful managing through coaching!...

ZM
Mar 3, 2021

I really enjoyed the lectures! the lecturer is fun and interactive. I'll be proceeding with the next course shortly! for those who wanted to learn a proper way to manage, this course is right for you!

JW
Aug 26, 2020

This was a great course to help reinforce the need to approach issues with the mindset of a coach. It will enable me to have much more productive conversations with people as we work through problems.

26 - 50 of 365 Reviews for Managing as a Coach

By Ana M

Sep 30, 2017

I am following all the courses of the specialisation "Coaching Skills for Managers"and I am finding them really valuable. The teacher is very knowledgeable and also extremely good at explaining concepts. It is a good mix of theory and practice. Recommendable course for all managers!

By Samat K

Apr 10, 2019

The course is useful and practical. The materials are accessible and comprehensible. The pace of the presentations and presenter is just OK.

I could get understanding of different roles of a manager, importance of coaching, and the factors that helps and hinders the coaching.

By Diana C

May 24, 2018

The thought model taught in this course is a game changer for learning to utilize a neutral perspective toward any challenges you face at work. You will learn the difference between a circumstance/fact and a thought or belief and your life will be so much less stressful.

By Martyn L M

Jun 9, 2017

Every course in this series was excellent ... so practical ... so oriented to those of us who are not professional coaches, but rather those of us who oversee daily operations and are helped by learning coaching and many of the other helpful components of this course.

By Nitin N

Mar 2, 2020

Thanks to Kris plachy. she is one of the best tutor I ever had.In this course I learned about different roles of a manager, importance of coaching, and the factors that helps and hinders the coaching. I would highly recommend this course to budding management guys

By Maurice E

Jun 28, 2018

The course flowed smoothly and was easy to follow along. The instructor is professional and very well spoken throughout the production. The peer reviewed exercise keeps one involved with other learners and really helps to make this an enjoyable experience.

By Gert-Jan D

Nov 30, 2021

An excellent course that provides a balanced mixture of clear and concise video lessons with interesting reading material. It provides valuable insights in the roles you have as a manager, and learns you to analyze and improve your management practise.

By Lesa B

Jun 9, 2018

Truly enjoyed and got a lot of valuable information from this course. Kris has a great technique. I've signed up for all her courses to complete the specialization and have become a junkie listening to her LeadershipCoachLLC podcasts. Great work, Kris.

By Monica A

Jun 21, 2018

I absolutely enjoyed the videos, activities, forums and peer review assignment. I would recommend this course to anyone who would like to sharpen their coaching skills as a manager. I especially enjoyed the additional webinars and reading materials.

By John B

Aug 7, 2019

Seems very proffessional and the educational level is very welcoming and explained in easy-to-understand words without becoming too technincal with coaching terms.

Also, the background music is very light on the ears and helps the learning process.

By Mehriban M

Feb 17, 2021

We do not pay attention to many things during management, and as a result, we face many difficulties. The course's program is very well organized, and the tutor's easy explanation helped me complete the course successfully.

Thanks, Chris Plachy!

By Carlos J L M

Mar 21, 2017

The Thought Model learned will accompany me forever in a professional and personal life, as I consider that this tool can be applied with my family and friends, whom I will see with other eyes and ears when problems arise with them. Thank You!!!

By Bruno S

Apr 7, 2017

professor is very didactic.

the main ideas were well explained, and the assignment was important to understand how to apply them. Also, by doing peer assessment my ability to think about the six steps in a more natural way has become apparent.

By Sean P

Sep 5, 2018

Excellent short course with great content and really helpful for getting in to gear as a manager and recognising you are a manager with accountability and you have to know when to coach, manage and get outside training help involved.

By Kumar T

Aug 13, 2017

An amazing course - practical and useful. All the lessons learnt can be directly taken to the workplace and used for optimum output. It has changed the way I used to work as a manager. Thanks coursera for this amazing course!

By Quốc D

Feb 22, 2016

I've learned a lot from this course, i help me classify 5 roles of a manager, understand the important of Coaching and differntiate beetwen fact and thought and guide me the way to coach my employee. Thank UCD, Coursera Team!

By Muliani D

Sep 22, 2020

Very well organized material. The instructor presented the material in a very clear and simple way. Not just that she also adds intonation and using a tone that makes it easier to understand her while reading the slides.

By Erin C

Apr 6, 2020

Great learning experience during the period of study. It'd better if the teacher could provide professional comment for the final assignment, thus we can receive more feedback from different perspective. Many Thanks.

By marcelo c n

Apr 20, 2021

Excelente curso, si bien puede parecer algo de conocimiento general, la realidad es que como el mismo curso presenta, la obviedad de pensamiento y de actitudes limita el correcto funcionamiento de una organización.

By Stojan S

Dec 16, 2019

Comprehensive training course with quite a few samples that can be applied in reality. With a bit of practise the thought model can be useful tool for every manager and finding positive solutions with employees.

By Somnath G

Feb 13, 2016

This is a course that is so practical and full of examples that you can relate it straight to your workplace. In fact we can start using the tools and concepts everyday in your life as a Leader,Manager and Coach

By Maajarv.kristiina@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2020

Great introduction to the topic! I would recommend it to new managers as well as for the existing one. The different roles of a manager are brought out very well. The Thought Model was a game changer for me!

By Angelika O

Apr 20, 2020

So impressed about this course. Thanks to the teacher for this amazing content and passion on her job. I totally recommend this course to anyone who want to work on their skills as well working with people.

By Luca C

Very well done. It allows you to think about the different roles of the manager, coach, leader, mentor and trainer. It gives also a good framework and tools to improve in managing situation. Recommended!

By Segun-Dabo O T

Aug 11, 2021

The course has helped me with having a good working relationship and I have seen its positive impact. I intend to continue using the Thought model in my approach at work and in realtionship with people.