Back to Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries by University of Michigan

This course introduces the dictionary data structure and user-defined functions. You’ll learn about local and global variables, optional and keyword parameter-passing, named functions and lambda expressions. You’ll also learn about Python’s sorted function and how to control the order in which it sorts by passing in another function as an input. For your final project, you’ll read in simulated social media data from a file, compute sentiment scores, and write out .csv files. It covers chapters 10-16 of the textbook “Fundamentals of Python Programming,” which is the accompanying text (optional and free) for this course. The course is well-suited for you if you have already taken the "Python Basics" course and want to gain further fundamental knowledge of the Python language. Together, both courses are geared towards newcomers to Python programming, those who need a refresher on Python basics, or those who may have had some exposure to Python programming but want a more in-depth exposition and vocabulary for describing and reasoning about programs. This is a follow-up to the "Python Basics" course (course 1 of the Python 3 Programming Specialization), and it is the second of five courses in the specialization....

SD
Jun 24, 2020

Good course, had a great hands on practice with the Runestone Notebook Environment.\n\nAppreciate the efforts of the instructors and whoever has designed in making the course and helped delivering it.

SG
Sep 15, 2019

It's amazing learn for beginner .A wonderful learning resource and very simple way explains everything . Excellent lessons ,check your understanding ,e-book ,practice, and quiz work and lot of thing

26 - 50 of 572 Reviews for Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries

By Tingting Y

Aug 9, 2020

Overall it's a great course. The textbook has been very helpful; I find some of the exercises too easy though. I didn't watch most of the videos because I could understand the content very well just by reading the textbook. The final project offered an opportunity to solve a very close to life problem. I look forward to seeing more exercises like this in the following courses.

By Zainab S

Sep 6, 2020

This course is just great I have learned many skills in this course and the way the professors teaches everything in detail and with patience without rushing is to be applauded but the thing I like the very most is the codelens it provides you real demonstration of what's actually going inside the program I really appreciate their efforts, Thank you so much

By Tatiana A

Sep 27, 2019

This course is grear, as well as previous one in this specialization.

I finally got how to use Lambda and Sorted functions. Love the interactive materials and all the practice questions. As always the more practice the merrier. On another note, this course need to be readproofed again - I saw many little mistakes here and there in the interactive book.

By RAMESH K S

Apr 21, 2020

In this course, I have learned about the importance of the user defined functions, to reduce the length of the code for a complex problem statement , and also learnt how to create and operate on files, and this course helps me to learn about the importance of Dictionaries when multiple types of Data has to be handled when solving a real time problem.

By Enam B

Jul 29, 2020

Very informative. If you are a beginner, you must take the first course of the specialization and then this one. Week 4 materials were the most awesome one, especially, lambda tags. In the end, there was a very interesting assignment. Hopefully, you will like it whether you are a beginner or not. As always, massive love for professor Paul Resnick.

By PANIDAPU H C

Apr 6, 2020

FIRSTLY,I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE INSTRUCTORS.THE WAY OF TEACHING IS EXCELLENT.I LIKE THIS COURSE.I THINK IT WILL HELP ME MORE FOR LEARNING MORE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES.

I LIKE PROFESSOR STEVE ONEY AND PROFESSOR PAUL RESNICK LECTURES.ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO THANK PROFESSOR STEVE ONEY AND PROFESSOR PAUL RESNICK FOR INSTRUCTING ME VERY WELL.

By Sara T

Jun 7, 2020

The course content is great and the instructors are brilliant because they can illustrate the course content to people with basic knowledge and make them understand every single detail. Thank you for explaining in a very simple way and giving us such assignments to check our understanding and engage us better in deep learning.

By Jinesh S

Jun 23, 2020

The course goes on a prefect pace with great in depth insights and knowledge. Great instructors and course material with practice tools, interactive textbook, and exercises are the perfect way to learn programming. Many examples to follow through and sense of logical reasoning is also included for each examples.

By Tushar S

Apr 29, 2020

This course was a bliss to complete. I loved the way it takes you through the various concepts. The tutors make it so much happening that you will not feel bored about it, especially Paul Resnick's jokes, haha you can giggle for minutes .

Thanks to all the tutors and Coursera for making such a course.

By Brian U

Jul 24, 2020

I had very high expectations for this course after taking the first course in the sequence and a couple of Dr. Chuck Severance's courses. The combination of the online Runestone textbook with short videos and daily practice is fantastic. I look forward to my 5 practice questions every morning.

By Sai V

Mar 21, 2020

A very well structured course that teaches you a lot of fundamental programming structures and how they are implemented with python. I learnt a lot on this course and it's been very helpful. Looking forward to use this course and move on to the next one on the specialization !

By Ho W J

Jan 25, 2020

Final project will test you cumulative contents learned from the course 1. By this time, you probably know that copy and paste don't really help. Try not too much use google. Once you write project on your code, you , you will definitely feel like you have made a quantum jump.

By Keli C M A

Oct 31, 2019

I am so happy for that conquer. Seriously. I took Python classes at college, it wasn't that effective at all. I had so much advance on this course that I am very interested in getting more advanced python courses. Thank you, Coursera, and my colleagues and Michigan University.

By Christiano d S

Jul 5, 2020

This is a great course. the explanations are clear, there are the interative page that allows us to run code and test many times what we have learned. I really like that the videos are not too long and we can do exercises watching them. I am learning a lot.

By Nicolas S V

Apr 12, 2020

It was a good course because of the concepts addressed, pretty much what the title says. The only constructive thing that I have to say is that the course can be improved by adding more challenging problems, because at some point they become repetitive.

By Phillip D

Jul 8, 2019

I loved this class. They cover the material is a slow and methodical manner. The instructors are clear and concise in their lectures. I've learned a lot and look forward to finishing this specialization before moving on to more advanced Python classes.

By Ines S

Jun 4, 2020

The Runestone plateform is sometimes not working and the revision feature crashes a lot. Moreover, I wish there was a book to revise some things... other than that, it is a great course and you do learn a lot. The lecturers do a good job at explaining.

By Jerbie D

Oct 8, 2019

Things are getting more challenging and exciting with this 2nd course in the specialization. Topics build on previous lessons and apply them in more challenging ways. I'm really glad I took this series of courses to help me get the right skills I need

By J A M S I

Jul 27, 2020

Effective course who are planing to practice about pyhton file handing regarding dictionaries, tuples csv or text. Interactive textbook is still amazing for hands on practicing. Final assignment is a little bit challenging task but it's really fun.

By Mohammad A R

Oct 17, 2020

If you are a beginner, this course would be the best place to start and build your base. The interactive book used in this course in extraordinary and really gives you an opportunity to practice a lot. I would thank Prof. Resnick and Prof. Oney.

By Iziren O

Sep 11, 2019

Really good course on Python Fundamentals and Dictionaries. The data structures were well-explained. I have taken a few Python courses before even the very good one from Dr. Chuck Severance (Python for everybody) and this is the best one so far.

By Sebastian S

Nov 26, 2019

This is an excellent course for learning Python in depth. This is much different than YouTube videos, where you just follow along. You actually apply what you learn here with assignments, and it's much easier to get ahold of what's going on.

By Savio S

This course is great, helped me to understand the working of dictionaries and files better. Also eventhough Iam a computer science student this is the first time I am hearing about a nameless function which I think is going to be very useful.

By Stephen T

Oct 7, 2019

The second course in the Python 3 Certification sequence. The instructors are very experienced introducing concepts and then expanding on them to ensure you internalize the skill. This is a hands-on practical course. It is worth your time.

By Pratiksha H

Aug 5, 2020

Excellent course!

Very detailed explanations are provided for all the concepts. The practice (runestone) exercises are very nice. Textbook has been very helpful and the assignments were practical. Thank you so much for this wonderful course.