Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC
Jul 16, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

RC
Oct 5, 2020

Thank you! Coursera for providing me the platform for boosting my knowledge in Financial Markets, as i have learned various financial parts in this subject and this will help me in my carrier too.

51 - 75 of 898 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Bryan P

Sep 30, 2020

It is a well structured course that gives a great overview of all topics regarding Macro-Finance. It is certainly a good investment of time. The guided topics with real-life examples make the learning process fun and entertaining. At the end of the course you will feel even more hungry for financial topics!!

By Thomas H

Mar 31, 2019

This course has been absolutely exceptional. In being my first experience with Coursera, I have been extremely satisfied with the content of the course, the approach and teaching methods of the lecturers and the platform itself. I will definitely continue studying and increase my knowledge with Coursera!

By Arpit S

Nov 22, 2018

Brilliant Course. I was struggling to understand these concepts for eternity. Even failed in competitive exams. But the manner in which these concepts were explained meant that I am now much better equipped to understand these concepts and even use it during investments when I undertake them henceforth.

By Chmel S

Apr 12, 2020

Great course for understanding basic concepts of investment management. The middle intensity I would say, so manageable to handle together with work. Special thanks to prof. Michel Girardin. The clearest in explanations. Hence I would extend the explanation of Bonds as the theme is the toughest imo.

By Paola C

May 16, 2020

Michelle Girardin is probably the best teacher I could ever have. Never before concepts became so understandable and easy to remember to me. He's also humorous. I thank with all my heart those who put this course together, as it gave me so much I didn't hope for. As a beginner, I shall now go on.

By M B M

Jun 27, 2018

I enjoyed the clear and basic examination of interactions between bonds. equities, interest rates and inflation. Building a solid logic foundation. Not certain yet how to convert this knowledge into actionable decisions but it forms a great foundation. Many thanks to the excellent instructors.

By Shardul S K

Aug 13, 2020

I had a certain level of expectations while signing up for this course. To say that all my expectations were surpassed would be a criminal understatement. I feel like I have gained a newfound purpose in my life through this course for which I would be forever indebted to all the professors.

By Arthur G

Mar 17, 2019

Thanks, this was an invaluably refreshing course for me. I got a chance to revise and deepen my understanding of investments and financial markets since I graduated from another university 5 years ago. Thanks the University of Geneva, UBS and Coursera teams for putting this course together!

By Zimasa Q

Jul 6, 2020

I find this course was helpful in polishing my knowledge of financial markets. If you have an interest in financial markets, this course will help you confirm what you do know, learn what you don't know and correct what you misunderstood about the fundamental elements of financial markets.

By Anna I

Aug 30, 2018

Half way through the course, I realized that I've been mirroring Dr. Michel Girardin the whole time, i.e. smiling as I'm trying to grasp the complexity of financial markets. Truly enjoyed his fun approach to teaching, keeping material concise and interactive. Will surely be back for more.

By David K

Aug 28, 2017

Very good introduction to Financial Markets and the economic instruments that dictate market conditions/environments. This a solid introductory framework that is necessary before getting more involved with complex investment vehicles. The class has excellent supplemental readings as well.

By Muhammad A U B

Jul 20, 2020

As a novice 'Finance & Accounting' professional, I think I should have some knowledge of the Financial Markets. Yeah, sure, I loved doing this course. This course has been a great one for me! My heartiest gratitude to the Instructors, the team behind this course as well as Coursera!

By Ashot B

Jul 12, 2020

It is an excellent course, probably the best of which I have studied. I would like to mention especially the main lecturer, Mr. Michel Girardin, he has a great talent for teaching. I`d highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to understand the key rules of financial markets.

By Norbert T E

Mar 9, 2018

Very Good overview into what financial markets(Equity and Bonds) and their valuation. Also a solid introduction to Central Banks and how their mandate and policy affect the market. Not a lot on risk management...maybe in the next parts of the course. Overall very educative course.

By Angel O

Jul 3, 2020

An excellent learning experience very illustrative with a fresh approach that has allowed me to clarify concepts that I´ve had already met in other similar courses. All this with the added value of the insight of top experts from one of the leaders of the financial industry UBS.

By Andrea N

Professor Michel Girardin was very good, clear in explaining.

Material course (pdf) very nice and clear. I have enjoyed doing this course and I am glad I choose this one against other with similar topics which sounded old and not straight to the point like this one.

AN

By Kyle

May 26, 2016

I enjoyed this course simply because I am new to financial markets. The instructors were able to simplify

a subject that I used to find complicated and somewhat intimidating. After learning from these instructors, Financial Markets have actually become a lot of fun for me.

By Fatima F

Jun 2, 2020

It is a great course to build foundations and to get curious about Financial Markets. But ideally, the 4th module should be delved more deeper by the candidate after completion of the course. Also, great industry interaction with UBS management speaking to participants!

By LUIS G M

Feb 7, 2018

GRAN CURSO, RECOMIENDO PLENAMENTE, SE APRENDE A IDENTIFICAR LOS RIESGOS DE INVERSIÓN Y NOS ENSEÑA COMO TOMAR DECISIONES AL CONOCER EL MERCADO Y EVALUAR EL ENTORNO, ESPERO QUE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE GINERBRA PUEDA DAR UN COMPLEMENTO DE ESTE CURSO, INTERESANTE Y APRENDÍ MUCHO.

By André Z P

Apr 20, 2016

This course intends to give an overview of the financial markets and the different kinds of investments. All the intructors are great, especially professor Michel, who is the main instructor in this course.

Moreover, I considered the tests adequate for learning purposes.

By Sixian l

Mar 29, 2020

If you have some very basic understanding of the finance terms and theory and want to hone your understanding to another level, this is the course for you! After finishing this course, I have a good foundation to start a more advance course for more in-depth knowledge.

By Ilia M

Nov 4, 2017

It`s the most useful course that I`ve ever seen online in this field of study. Lecturers managed to give a lot of neсessary information with interesting presentation for a short time. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn basics of financial markets.

By Alexander B

Jul 24, 2017

The lecturers are very engaged and try to explain the course content in detail and understandable. The short questions during the videos help to keep you focused on the essential parts of the content and make the concepts clear on a more practical level again.

By Arturo G

Mar 7, 2016

The course is excellent, it provides the necessary foundation to understand financial markets which is the starting point for all investors. Some the English enunciation of the instructors is a bit difficult to understand but I got what I needed. Well done.

By Ciaran P

Oct 14, 2016

I never kew financial markets were so interesting or so challenging. The video lectures were always a pleasure to watch. I was deeply appreciative of Professor Girardin's affable manner, and his graphic explanation of duration will stay with me for life.