Back to C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals by University of California, Santa Cruz

This course is for everyone. In the new world we live in, coding is a universally valuable skill, whether you're a scientist, artist, or a humanist. Algorithms are everywhere, and we all have to understand how they work. The C language is particularly well suited as an introduction to coding: It's a tried-and-true language, and it allows you to understand computing processes at a deep level. No prior knowledge of coding is needed for this course. We'll start at the beginning. The time estimated time commitment for this course is five hours a week for five weeks....

CN

Apr 22, 2020

Great course to gain a foundation in C programming! The video lectures, coding examples, and peer reviewing of assignments allows one to learn quick and in real time. Would definitely recommend it.

RB

Apr 20, 2020

It was really great experience studying in this course.The professor is great, but the part of the course is its well managed assignments and quizzes. Again Hats off to whole team.\n\nThanks.

1 - 25 of 246 Reviews for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

By Nikolaos K

Jan 05, 2020

I stopped this course at Week 1, as I found various reasons to do so. It is a very pour course, as it is very confusing what level the student should be. The lecturer just goes through some slides and just explains what happens in every line of a program, without giving any context to the actual C programming language. His explanations are most of the time confusing and do not really add any useful information. Some explanations he gives are really cryptic ("Passing the address of an int &int" without giving any explanation on what this really means. The course is set as Beginner level). His tone and flow of speaking is really poor for a lecture (I had to make the video at x1.5 rate and it was feeling that he was speaking normally at that rate. Imagine how slow he speaks). Finally, the slides and presentations are one of the worst i came across into a lecture. He has hand written slides, which shows a C program. His hand writting is really messy, resembling that of a doctor. I doubt anyone can really decipher the programs he is showing. The least i would expect from a course, is for the slides to be informative, neat and well written, rather than a bunch of hand written programs put into a screen. I wouldn't recommend this course to anybody (either beginner or intermediate), better just spend a week reading "The C Programming Language" by Dennis Richie.

By Kanza N

Apr 11, 2020

A very well arranged course. YES, it is for EVERYONE but only if THE ONE is willing to learn something because it taught everything clearly but Practice is only the student's responsibility

By Dimitrios S V

Nov 15, 2019

Good introduction to the C Programming Language for beginners in programming in general (and not just to the language). If you already have experience with C this part of the course will just be a quick reminder of the fundamentals of the language. I would have liked a bigger project and more depth like in the C++ course that is provided by the same University and instructor. There were however some mistakes in the course material that hopefully will be corrected in the future.

By Sutharsan M

Apr 28, 2020

e will know all the essential knowledge to moe forward. It is a very logical and steady building up procedure. It is an absolutely stunning course. Thanks for professor Iran Pol.

By Andrew M

Nov 10, 2019

The coverage and assignments are good. Seems to be plenty of students judged by speed and timing of peer reviews. Videos are good in terms of content but presentation is adequate to poor. Excellent thing is that full participation is free, unlike the subsequent C/C++ courses.

By Claudine N

Apr 22, 2020

By Muhammad A

Apr 29, 2020

The videos are not in order and the content is faulty. Moreover, the instructor is lazy, sluggish and uninterested.

By Jeffrey G

Mar 30, 2020

I successfully completed the first three weeks of this course. I have completed four other beginning Python programming courses on Coursera. Like those, this was a great course. I have, however, decided to withdraw from the course.

Like other programming courses I have taken, the learning curve for this one gets steep at the halfway point in the course. Looking over the remaining material, I decided I would not be able to complete the rest of the course in the allotted time. There are also no assessments or practice exercises in the fourth week, so it's hard to gauge how you are doing.

Despite the difficulty of the subject manner, I really enjoyed the course. The professor has written a book with Al Kelley, _A Book on C_, that is helpful for the course. The lectures themselves are clear and informative.

I am a UCSC graduate but have been away from school for 30 years. I would recommend this course to someone currently studying computer science at college or perhaps a recent graduate who wishes to learn C programming. Overall, I think this is definitely a programming course worth taking. Like many courses, there is a significant time commitment. I still found the course difficult even though I had plenty of time to spend on it.

I haven't given up on learning the basics of C. I plan on trying another course on this or another learning platform.

By Raja B

Apr 20, 2020

Thanks.

By Sushmita B

May 15, 2020

This was the Basic Course for the people who wants to start with the coding and also grasp the basics..!!

By Aarti

May 15, 2020

I have learnt so many things from this course. Thanks to Professor Iran Pohl and Thanks to coursera.

By Jose J P P

Mar 22, 2020

This is a great initial approximation

By Vishnutheerth E P

Mar 26, 2020

Good course and good faculty

By pv s r

Mar 09, 2020

By Patryk S

Apr 03, 2020

Very good material.

By Nikhil U

Feb 15, 2020

The course was pretty basic but helped in revisiting all the things studied and definitely an easy to remember all the things somebody might have forgotten about C

By Ashleena S A

Mar 06, 2020

I am really satisfied with the course, the syllabus, and the teaching methodology. Thanks to the instructor and Coursera.

By Tarang M S

May 15, 2020

Nice explainashon but u are not saying the basics, meaning u are not saying everything on detail

By Sakshi M

Mar 17, 2020

I had a good experience in learning the course and learned new topics throughout the course.

By ManiChandana

Apr 09, 2020

good

By Ricky A

May 16, 2020

The course was slow-paced, engaging and well-taught. For a Java guy, the course was easy and relatable to understand and apply also, not forgetting Java at the same time. Mr. Pohl along with his unbeatable experience in computer programming made it so much easier for me to grasp the basics of C and considering him as a mentor for learning it, along with the language's variants. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn the basics of programming.

By Md. M

May 08, 2020

Overall I had an amazing experience in this C for Everyone Course. It took me to 3 days to complete this course. I do a lot of hard work to achieve this certificate. Practice, Peer Graded Assignments, Quiz everything is given here for better practicing. I think everyone should try this course if he/she wants to develop his fundamental skills and as well as program writing skills. This would be really a great choice.

By Kouakou R K

*****Best C programming class ever. I learnt so much. This course and especially the book that was written by the instructor put things right in your mind by teaching you with crystal clear examples hard to get concepts, of low level programming. I bought the book, read it with ease, it's fantastic. Thanks much!!!****

By Mohammed M

May 03, 2020

this course is very helpful to gain your basics is c language.....and to understand the what is the c language importance in today's world.......i have gained my basics very through this course it is very helpful for me .....i love this course..

By Chua C T

May 16, 2020

Prof Pohl took the time to explain each and every step of C code to help beginners like myself tread water easier. His book on "A book on C: Programming with C" is a good resource to look up when in doubt. Thank you!!