Back to C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals by University of California, Santa Cruz

This course is for everyone. In the new world we live in, coding is a universally valuable skill, whether you're a scientist, artist, or a humanist. Algorithms are everywhere, and we all have to understand how they work. The C language is particularly well suited as an introduction to coding: It's a tried-and-true language, and it allows you to understand computing processes at a deep level. No prior knowledge of coding is needed for this course. We'll start at the beginning. The time estimated time commitment for this course is five hours a week for five weeks....

MA
Jun 21, 2020

I am really happy I did this course. The instructor is a really experienced teacher. This course gave a good start for learning the fundamentals and moving onto complex programming languages like C++.

CN
Apr 21, 2020

Great course to gain a foundation in C programming! The video lectures, coding examples, and peer reviewing of assignments allows one to learn quick and in real time. Would definitely recommend it.

26 - 50 of 1,245 Reviews for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

By Jose J P P

Mar 22, 2020

This is a great initial approximation

By Vishnutheerth E P

Mar 25, 2020

Good course and good faculty

By Soumendu M

Apr 9, 2020

A lot of important points skipped and a lot of things unexplained, and very poor explanation of what has been taught in this course. A mere beginner can never learn the basics of language C from this course without a lot of self-research and knowledge!

By James

Jun 1, 2020

The professor talked really slow but i can tell he was trying to be very thorough and concise in his teaching

some assignments are unclear especially the last assignment. i dont think we were given enough instructions or knowledge for it had we followed the course along

but i still think it worth 5 stars as i find it better structured than the other c intro course here (just my opinion)

and the prof does explain well. very respectable person

By Soumyajjal D

Sep 8, 2020

worst course on c, the instructor is so bad, he didn't tell the way or any modern way to do the code his explanation is horrible & he is not understandable some of the time. listening to him I think he is drunk and then he is talking. I didn't learn anything from the course. I studied free from youtube and submit the assignment and have completed the quizzes. horrible course waste of money, do not take the course ... learn free from youtube (neso,nareshit - channels name ). worst course, worst course.

By Ernest A

Jun 18, 2020

Too many concepts not taught before showing up in assignments, and quizzes with wrong answers (see the while loop quiz in week 3). Not bad as a refresher, but too poorly put together for absolute beginners.

By abu d

Jun 30, 2020

Totally a waste of time. I would recommend everyone not to take this course. Its boring and the instructor speaks too slowly. Just find another course or follow thenewboston on youtube.

By Radomir D A

Sep 9, 2021

Quality of videos very low. The professor speaks VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY slowly. The texts he shows are difficult to read! Some of his explanations are very misleading!

By Antonius A R

Sep 14, 2020

So many details has been missed. Rely basically on self-studying more than the instructor in such easy parts in the C programming language. The instructor's explaining wasn't that good too, he speaks very slow, doesn't get the idea easily and so poor introduction and explaining on how to use the C on computer as he is thinking that we should know all of that already!! In the last assignment, he didn't give us any clue on how to deal with data from files which needed another searching. I learnt new things to be honest but I didn't enjoy the course.

By Tj P

Sep 15, 2020

Totally disorganized and definitely not beginner friendly. The prof doesn't explain how to set up a compiler or properly use one in order to succeed in the course.

By Masoud R

Apr 24, 2021

What differentiated this course from others was that i learned from a veteran programmer. This experience boosted my spirit and motivated me to move forward in courses in order to learn more.

By Tarang M S

May 15, 2020

Nice explainashon but u are not saying the basics, meaning u are not saying everything on detail

By Marcin B

Apr 24, 2020

I expected more from this course and the following course - "structured programming in C". To start with the positive sides, the teacher is clearly professional with thorough understanding of the topics he is lecturing. No "monkey show, monkey do" style, that can be found in many other places around the Internet.

Unfortunately, this course is messy. Some videos "continue" on topics that are covered in future videos. The exercises are often foolishly easy. The graded exercises, which I consider adequate level, lack precise instructions. This sloppiness makes me decrease the rating by one star.

The other problem is, that trivial things seem to consume a lot of lecture time, while as the challenging topics that in a way distinguish C from modern high level programming languages - E.g. pointers, arrays, arrays of pointers, passing arguments to functions, allocating memory, freeing memory - are being mentioned somewhere in between the lines without enough explanation, examples and practice problems. Do not expect to gain a deep understanding of C by only going through the videos and working on the exercises. I had to spend many more hours of research on Internet to gain basic understanding. This course should be much longer, better prepared with more valuable problems that would guide the student through challenges of C.

By Carl R

Sep 20, 2020

Very unguided course. Lecture videos are poorly explained, with hard to read and understand visuals. Key skills and information needed to complete quizzes and assignments are not shown or easy to find in the course. I had to look up most things elsewhere and figure out how to do it from other sites.

By Yan M A

Aug 21, 2020

Lecture videos need to be improved.

We don't understand what the lecturer means as the videos are not clear.

I want the lecture videos to be improved than this.

Thank you!

By Cheah Y T

Mar 7, 2021

Course is dead. Instructor no longer maintains the course or discussion forum. Code is not uploaded for assignments.

By pratyush k

cannot understant a thingh. please explain clearly . i have to go watch youtube videos to understand the topics

By Harshdeep

May 2, 2020

Very bad course. this course is total time west.

By MOHAMMAD A

Apr 20, 2020

No proper explanation... Please change faculty

I just need my certificate please.

By Siddharth D

Jun 18, 2020

it was completelu use less

By khadeeja r

Can't get certificate

By Tony B

Sep 2, 2020

Before joining this course i hated programming,but now i am in love with it.

You may feel worse in the first two videos keep going you will be benefitted

This helped me understand what i have learned in my school(c++).

i recommend everyone to take this course as it truly benefits anyone aspiring to rise in the field of programming as c is the base and we have a very good mentor Ira Pohl and weekly exams, correcting your fellow mates answers and quizs.This course will help you answer any programming questions on c.

By Parth M P

I am very happy to learn this course and this stream is very helpful for everyone.

I like this course and thaks for Coursera team.

By Chinmay S J

Jun 15, 2020

Excellent course!! We get to learn the overall C language from the basics .