Back to C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals by University of California, Santa Cruz

This course is for everyone. In the new world we live in, coding is a universally valuable skill, whether you're a scientist, artist, or a humanist. Algorithms are everywhere, and we all have to understand how they work. The C language is particularly well suited as an introduction to coding: It's a tried-and-true language, and it allows you to understand computing processes at a deep level. No prior knowledge of coding is needed for this course. We'll start at the beginning. The time estimated time commitment for this course is five hours a week for five weeks....

MA

I am really happy I did this course. The instructor is a really experienced teacher. This course gave a good start for learning the fundamentals and moving onto complex programming languages like C++.

VD

Aug 20, 2020

Great course to gain a foundation in C programming! The video lectures, coding examples, and peer reviewing of assignments allows one to learn quick and in real time. Would definitely recommend it.

26 - 50 of 796 Reviews for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

By Mohammed Z A

By Tarang M S

May 15, 2020

Nice explainashon but u are not saying the basics, meaning u are not saying everything on detail

By Cold O

I would like to stress that I do not have any prior knowledge in coding. That being said, I was excited when this course info mentioned, and I quote, "No prior knowledge of coding is needed for this course. We'll start at the beginning."

Imagine my unpleasant surprise when 15 minutes or so in, I get this in my lesson:

Play video starting at 19 seconds and follow transcript0:19

we're in my directory. My prompt for my computer is Iras-Air: and the local directory that I'm running in is called CPrograms/W1. So here's where I develop some of the code that was being used in Week 1 of this class. So let's look at that directory, the way we can see that directory again where in terminal, for a Mackintosh terminal window, which is basically running Unix. So I can use Unix commands, the Unix command LS shows me the files in that directory. So we see there's an a.out file, there's something called add2.exe and then there are these.C files which are source files which are code and there we can see something like miles.exe, circle.exe, add2.exe. So all of that are what I previously compiled as N2 and executable and I can of course execute them. Let's look at add2.exe. So in order to execute them, all I have to do is say add2.exe, it says input two floats.

Play video starting at 1 minute 58 seconds and follow transcript1:58

I do that and I'm done, 4.3 and 6.8 is 11.1. Now, if I want to develop a program, let's say I want to change the input to floats program to an input three floats. Let me try doing that. So I'm going to have add3. I'm going to call it add3.c., vi add3.c. So this command means create a file called add3.c.

Play video starting at 2 minutes 44 seconds and follow transcript2:44

Now, it's going to look very much like add2.c. So basically and frequently the cases, I'm going to want to modify a pre-existing file. So I'll just read that file in and these are all VI commands. Again, in this class, I'm not going to go through all of the VI commands or Notepad commands, you're just going to have to get comfortable with using an editor. Netter is a critical tool for almost anything on a computer. Once you understand a little of it, you can get a tutorial that explains in detail the editing commands you need.

I don't understand what is going on, and I do not understand why I need to get another tutorial to explain. Yes, I lack the basic facility of coding, that is obvious. But, do not market your course as one that is beginner friendly when it isn't!

By Soumendu M

Apr 09, 2020

A lot of important points skipped and a lot of things unexplained, and very poor explanation of what has been taught in this course. A mere beginner can never learn the basics of language C from this course without a lot of self-research and knowledge!

By Ernest A

Jun 19, 2020

Too many concepts not taught before showing up in assignments, and quizzes with wrong answers (see the while loop quiz in week 3). Not bad as a refresher, but too poorly put together for absolute beginners.

By abu d

Jun 30, 2020

Totally a waste of time. I would recommend everyone not to take this course. Its boring and the instructor speaks too slowly. Just find another course or follow thenewboston on youtube.

By Radomir D A

Quality of videos very low. The professor speaks VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY slowly. The texts he shows are difficult to read! Some of his explanations are very misleading!

By Tony B

Sep 02, 2020

Before joining this course i hated programming,but now i am in love with it.

You may feel worse in the first two videos keep going you will be benefitted

This helped me understand what i have learned in my school(c++).

i recommend everyone to take this course as it truly benefits anyone aspiring to rise in the field of programming as c is the base and we have a very good mentor Ira Pohl and weekly exams, correcting your fellow mates answers and quizs.This course will help you answer any programming questions on c.

By Parth M P

I am very happy to learn this course and this stream is very helpful for everyone.

I like this course and thaks for Coursera team.

By Chinmay S J

Excellent course!! We get to learn the overall C language from the basics .

By Antonius A R

Sep 14, 2020

So many details has been missed. Rely basically on self-studying more than the instructor in such easy parts in the C programming language. The instructor's explaining wasn't that good too, he speaks very slow, doesn't get the idea easily and so poor introduction and explaining on how to use the C on computer as he is thinking that we should know all of that already!! In the last assignment, he didn't give us any clue on how to deal with data from files which needed another searching. I learnt new things to be honest but I didn't enjoy the course.

By Yan M A

Aug 21, 2020

Lecture videos need to be improved.

We don't understand what the lecturer means as the videos are not clear.

I want the lecture videos to be improved than this.

Thank you!

By Soumyajjal D

Sep 08, 2020

worst course on c, the instructor is so bad, he didn't tell the way or any modern way to do the code his explanation is horrible & he is not understandable some of the time. listening to him I think he is drunk and then he is talking. I didn't learn anything from the course. I studied free from youtube and submit the assignment and have completed the quizzes. horrible course waste of money, do not take the course ... learn free from youtube (neso,nareshit - channels name ). worst course, worst course.

By Tj P

Sep 15, 2020

Totally disorganized and definitely not beginner friendly. The prof doesn't explain how to set up a compiler or properly use one in order to succeed in the course.

By pratyush k

cannot understant a thingh. please explain clearly . i have to go watch youtube videos to understand the topics

By Harshdeep

May 02, 2020

Very bad course. this course is total time west.

By MOHAMMAD A

Apr 21, 2020

No proper explanation... Please change faculty

By meftah

Apr 07, 2020

I can't run these code in my Codeblock compiler

I just need my certificate please.

By Sidhartha D

Jun 18, 2020

it was completelu use less

By khadeeja r

Can't get certificate

By Yamina i

boring too much

By Marphy W K H

Aug 22, 2020

Initially I wasn't quite confident in the course quality as it seemed like the instructor didn't invest much in presenting the materials in the usually-expected manner, i.e. neatly typed-out codes and slides. However, as I followed the course in the first week, very quickly I realized that the instructor was really a veteran in teaching programming - he really knew his things and he knew how to share his knowledge with us! I am aware that there are comments on the 'poor' (really this means I suppose the look of materials but not referring to the content quality) materials, but I would like to encourage learners who are into learning programming to try this course out.

By Sarah C

Jun 17, 2020

As a complete newbie, I found this course very challenging but ultimately very satisfying. There is a lot of outside learning I had to do, so 5 hours a week which is printed on my certificate is not actually accurate. More like 20. That being said, I was able to work my way through the course and although my brain exploded many times, I received a good score. From someone who had to google what is Pi in the first week, I came away with a 92% score. Good introductory course.. don't be scared by the difficult subjects.

By Ankit S

Jun 28, 2020

Great opportunity to learn. It was not all served in a well garnished plate. We had to figure many things on our own, which compelled us to go through many things and learn many new and different things.

To understand what are we really looking for and how it is applicable in our task.

Thank you very much Dr. Ira Pohl or Dr.P as I remember