Back to Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Environmental law may be the one institution standing between us and planetary exhaustion. It is also an institution that needs to be reconciled with human liberty and economic aspirations. This course considers these issues and provides a tour though existing legal regimes governing pollution, water law, endangered species, toxic substances, environmental impact analyses, and environmental risk. Note: The Environmental Law & Policy Course will close for new learner enrollment on February 22, 2019. Learners who have already enrolled will continue to see it on their Coursera Dashboard as long as they remain enrolled in the course. If you are currently enrolled in this course, please see the announcement sent on February 19, 2019, for additional details....

MS

Jun 03, 2020

Really great class. Covers all the main topics of environmental law. The Professor is very interesting, informative, and clear. A great introductory class for environmental topics in the legal realm.

LH

Apr 20, 2018

Incredible course with an engaging professor who makes you want to learn more with every lesson.\n\nThe best course I saw on Coursera and exactly what I would appreciate in any course, online or not.

51 - 75 of 415 Reviews for Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy

By Phuong N

Dec 28, 2016

Great introduction to environmental law. Very well-structured. The case studies were helpful and crucial to understanding of the materials. Analysis and theory lectures are very interesting. Lecturer is knowledgeable and passionate about the matter. One of the best courses I've had on Coursera!

By Charmane

Oct 23, 2017

Very helpful for your understanding of environmental law, especially that of the United States. Even if its cases are focused mostly on policies the U.S, the course can be applied to the international level as well as for someone's understanding of national issues and decision-making.

By Aldric U

Nov 21, 2015

Professor Hornstein is brilliantly easy to follow -- he walks you through "legalese" at a beginner's pace, apt for a college undergraduate-level. I particularly like his One-minute Lawyer videos, wherein he explains the case readings in a conversational style. Very good for reviewing.

By Kaelin P

Sep 14, 2017

I really loved this course, it helped give me a huge leap into environmental law and policy and has helped me see new avenues for working in this area that I was not aware of before. Thanks, Dr. Hornstein! This course has helped my professional education and career growth so much.

By Capucine P

Apr 16, 2018

This course allowed me to discover the legal aspect of environmental protection which I had never considered before. It made me realize that without the help of the state, the environment is hard to protect against people who want to make the most profit out of it's exploitation.

By Khandaker M F A

Jul 29, 2017

The instructor of this course is an excellent personality! He is full of life. While dull lectures make easy courses tough, he has made this 'juiceless' topic more than interesting with his teaching style and variation in deliberation. This is an A-class course and a must-do one.

By Julivius

Feb 25, 2019

It's really helped my understanding on environmental law and policy. I often have questions on environmental law and policy but I couldn't really pinpoint the answer from a legal perspective. From this course, I easily understood about police power and common law implementation.

By Janet L

Apr 21, 2016

Exactly what I wanted - a course to help me make sense of the basics and give me the language and the tools I need to pursue a deeper understanding of several of the subtopics which are most applicable to my work.

And Bonus! Happy Prof = Happy Learning

I appreciate that :-)

By Krystle G

Even though the material was of a serious nature, this was such an enjoyable course- the best I have taken so far! I thought I might have had an interest in environmental law and policy and this solidified and furthered that notion; I plan to officially continue my studies.

By Robert E

Feb 04, 2018

An excellent introductory course. The teaching and lectures are enormously engaging, and the ideas and concepts are applicable in a range of settings - not just in a US legal framework. Well worth it as a way to learn more about the legal environment of the environment!

By Nikita B

I like the way the professor has explained, he keeps the class interesting and especially the idea of giving us the reading material for a better understanding along with that 1-minute videos which helps us gain a better understanding, like a revision of the case

By Christopher K

Aug 27, 2015

Thank you Prof. Hornstein! Excellent delivery, this course should be taught as compulsory. Would like to drill deeper on the proposed TPP agreement as it relates to GAAT with respect to (for example) BGH arguments, along with the potential economic machinations.

By Ali Z

Feb 23, 2019

Even though the course was an introduction, I learnt more from it than I expected. I loved the simplest and deepfull way Prof. Donald Hornstein presented this lesson and motivated the students to be attached to the lecture with the desire to lear more. Thank you!

By RONN

Jul 01, 2020

The course is well-structured and loaded with pertinent legal materials. The professor is really an expert on the subject matter and the manner by which he presented the lectures is not only clear but also engaging. I truly enjoyed this course and learned a lot.

By Olushola ( A

Jun 14, 2020

Prof. Donald Hornstein is a subject matter expert in Environmental Law and a great teacher. He did justice to the course and I have gained a lot to support my background knowledge in Environmental Toxcicology while I build my career with EPA and in the industry.

By Ying Y C

Apr 16, 2020

This is a great course for anyone who is interested in exploring a new field of study. Professor Hornstein did a great job breaking down the concepts into digestible parts and the case studies helped to provide a real life look of environmental law in action.

By Hom J A

Sep 18, 2015

I love this course to the extent that I was glued to listen to the video lectures. The professor is extremely well spoken and the course is nicely organized. I love to see the professor again in some other courses too. Thank you so much for your deliverance.

By Daniel P R

Dec 17, 2016

Great course imparted by a great teacher capable of transmitting not only knowledge, but also enthusiasm. The course, eventhough it is an introduction, gave me tools in order to make interpretative reasonings about my domestic environmental law (Mexico).

By Jorge A

Oct 16, 2016

This course is an excellent primer for this topic. It's really well gauged for general interest public and it does not fall short for whomever would like to go a little further. I will extend a policy chapter on a course I teach on Environmental Science.

By Vilmaurora C

Oct 06, 2015

I really liked this Course.

Although I am not a lawyer and more environmental engineer, the professor explain different environmental law cases (Waste, Soil, Water, Air) in an easy-going manner. It was simple but very strong content!

100% recommendable!!

By Raoulle F

Mar 01, 2017

This was an awesome experience- I was very much impressed by the course material as well as Professor Hornstein's enthusiasm and approach! I certainly learned a lot and this course will truly help me down the road with my career and advanced studies.

By karthikeyan

Jan 12, 2016

The enthusiasm of Don was making it so easy to sit through any long lectures. And the interactive Q&A was helpful to understand concepts. Though I am not from the United States, this forms a very nice platform to understand legal systems. Thanks a lot

By Jezabel P

Jun 05, 2017

This is a great introductory class to Environmental Law and Policy. The professor is able to explain in great detail and in a digested format some of the most important rules and statues. The professor's passion for the law is fresh and contagious.

By Ezequiel G

Dec 05, 2015

It is a very good course, specially for people who wants to know more about, of course enviromental law, and comonn law system too. The teacher gives you a practical and interesting focus about cases and precedents dictaded by the US law system.

By Swetha

a very useful course as it concentrates on better understanding for beginners who have not learnt environmental law in law school. this surely gave me a very clear picture on what environment law is and explains all the laws so well. thank you.