Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

JR

Mar 07, 2019

This course was eye-opening. I learned so many great techniques that I can immediately incorporate into my daily life. Thank you so much to the creators of this course for such invaluable information.

VM

Jun 29, 2017

I don't write reviews very much so i will be brief.Taking out time for this course will be the best investment in your life. Wonderful ,helpful , Useful , Insightful , it's full of everything desired.

176 - 200 of 13,148 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By MaisuJabi

Dec 16, 2018

My first and more enjoyable MOOC. After this one, my way of learning has change for ever. Thanks so much.

By Tony G

Dec 17, 2018

A great investment for your mind.

By Mukundhan S

fantastic course for every student aged from 6 to 60+ ;

By Tangthai D

Dec 15, 2018

You make me understand, What I have done badly in my life and point it out how to fix it. Thank you

By Patricia H

Dec 16, 2018

What an excellent and practical course!

By Qianyun Y

Dec 17, 2018

It helps me better understanding how brain works, and also helps me learning more efficiently in the future. Thank you!

By Fernando A

It's a game changer!

By Valerio C

Dec 17, 2018

This is a very interesting course. I've gained a better understanding on the the learning process, how the brain works on keeping the information, what are the most common errors or obstacle on learning something new and some useful habit or tricks to learn in a more fruitful fashion. I've really appreciate the competence and teach style of the two teachers which I'd like to thank for their work. I strongly recommend this course, especially for students in high school and University because it contains helpful information on how to be more proficient in text or exams. The course could seem less apt for workers and employees, but for someone who wants to get better in what he does and fails on regular basis, this should be a great starting point.

By Carlos A C O

Dec 16, 2018

Excelente, muy buenos consejos para aprender mejor y rendir mucho más en los exámenes.

By Luis M V

Dec 01, 2018

Thank's to this course I have learned how to effectively study my assignments, how to avoid overlearning and illusion of competence. Every topic was totally clear and understandable.

I would definitely recommend this course to all my friends and family.

By David D

Great!

By Yasin M M

Dec 01, 2018

A basic course that everyone should take and start with.

By gowtham v

Dec 01, 2018

This course gave lot of insights on effective learning. i had heard about pomodoro technique, but after going through this course i got a better understanding of how to use it effectively. Great material.

By Anton B

Nov 30, 2018

Great course! A lot of simple concepts, ideas, and tips on how to learn more effective!Wish I knew all of this back in school or university...Bought a book as well to get more ideas and understand them better. Recommended for everyone, regardless of sphere or age!Thank you for the Course!

By ibrahim a a k

Dec 01, 2018

good

By Cesar A L H

Dec 02, 2018

Great course, 10/10. Made a better student.

By Jose A R

Nov 30, 2018

Although I am IT engineer, I like it, and help me to improvement when I need to learn new things, or to teach my son.

By Scott M

Nov 30, 2018

This course is wonderful and bittersweet. I was the master of procrastination and "Illusions of competence." I will internalize these tools and use them on my journey through the rest of my life. I plan to teach my son, my family and friends as much as they will let me. I believe this can course and the tools can help them too.

By Sai C A

Dec 18, 2018

The world needs more Barbara Oakleys. Fantastic course and definitely a recommendation to anyone interested in taking any courses online. The material was amazing and wholesome enough to achieve the purpose, and Mrs Barbara's teaching style, passion and her enthusiasm moved my heart. I'm changed in the way I view learning now and I feel more ready to approach it. Her efforts in compiling this comprehensive information and additional interviews and reading/video materials were just too good. Dr Terrence was amazing and I loved everything he had to say, both together we're able to take a wholesome approach to tackling so many issues. Thank you so much for your efforts, I bet there are too many that feel the same as I do.

By Li L

Dec 19, 2018

It's useful. It will help us to check ourselves.

By Breno M

Dec 18, 2018

It's amazing learning about the things helpful to keep learn. I have a lot of difficult to understand and keep focus in a task, but this course help me to understand how my mind work and how I can improve my skills, develop new skills and have new goals. It was my second MOOC, I had difficul to keep the course because my time is short, I work and study at the same time, but I know it's very important this course to help me understand myself and improve my professional life and private life.

By Nikhil B

Dec 19, 2018

A really insightful course on learning practically.

By hussein a

Dec 18, 2018

It's important lesson I learned in my learning trip.

By Tomé L

Dec 19, 2018

Great content, practical insights, and actionable techniques! I totally advise everyone with the goal to learn any subject to learn how this memories are stored and how can you improve it!

By kristen j

Dec 18, 2018

very useful course for students