Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

176 - 200 of 539 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Anudeep M

Sep 15, 2019

Its a very good course. This course showed that we can learn a lot from movies also. And the professor was very good at explaining the topics.

By K A E

Feb 20, 2016

Fabulous course. Great techniques and impressive use of movies to illustrate memory principals. I would and will highly recommend this course.

By 성수민

Jun 9, 2019

Thank you, professor! the way you teach us, using the movie clip, was beautiful and attractive. I won't forget you. Happy to toke your class!

By Dale G

Jun 19, 2018

Very Informative I loved the use of movies as visual examples of different types of memory loss and issue's that come with aging individuals.

By Cassandra C Y M

Apr 6, 2020

I really love that it is quick, concise, meaningful, and all of the materials are engaging! It makes me want to have more courses like this.

By Gerardo R G

Jun 9, 2016

Excellent class, valuable information and emotional contents. Great teacher and great presentations. I would recommend this class to anyone.

By Grace N

Oct 18, 2020

I've learned so much from this short course. And I loved all the movies, I am looking for copies to watch later. Thank you so much! <3

By Sonja B

Aug 25, 2020

This course is superb. The presenter is so engaging that I could listen to him every day. And since I work in academia, that says a lot! :)

By Karina

Apr 14, 2018

excellent course! well-explained, briliant movie - examples and an outstanding narration! I ´ve learned a lot about how our memories work!

By Luis p

Jun 25, 2019

Very Good course. I liked learning using movies as examples. It made the material easier to grasp and retain. It also made it memorable.

By Eduardo C H H

Jul 24, 2020

Simple explanations and film-based analogies make the course an excellent introduction and summary of what awaits us as we enter old age.

By Zhiying W

Sep 27, 2017

This course is very good, learning a lot of memory knowledge, especially through the way the film about memory, very novel, very fond of!

By AKHILA A

Jul 28, 2020

Truly amazing course with very relevant examples. This is the best way I would have ever learnt memories thank you, sir, for the course.

By Avril

May 25, 2016

This is one of the few MOOCs I completed! I enjoyed the presentation of psychology mixed with movie excerpts. A great way to illustrate.

By José M B G

Jan 13, 2018

Un curso fantástico, muy ameno y recomendable. Con rigor científico y la relación que hacen con el cine me parece completamente genial.

By Kaitlin H

Jul 7, 2016

The professor was very knowledgeable and clearly has a passion for the topic. I enjoyed the course and learned quite a few new things.

By PJ R

Jun 13, 2016

Excellent course based in the science of psychology and memory with great examples from movies. Accessible to all levels of learning.

By Grizel P

Sep 7, 2020

Es mi primer curso y fue el mejor que he tomado. Ha dicho lo basico pero lo ha definidio super bien. Excelente, lo voy a recomendar.

By Teresa c

Jun 19, 2020

I loved this course, and reading the book while doing the class online. It was challenging, but a little hard work never scared me!

By DIANA V E

Jan 29, 2017

Curso excelente, con información clara y apropiada, con mucha ayuda visual que permite la concentración y mayor comprensión del tema

By ANGELA C

Sep 14, 2020

A very nice opportunity to review the concepts about memory, a subject very important through all the stages of the life. Thank you

By Darlene d V

Aug 29, 2020

This is an excellent course, I would take another course from this professor. Thank you, I learn much and have much to think about.

By veronica G

Jul 15, 2020

It's a wonderful course!!! I really loved it!!! And Professor Seamon was very helpful and made very interesting the course. Thanks.

By Yenai J

Aug 13, 2017

I have fully enjoyed this course. I have learned a lot and the movies were great examples for the topics that were being discussed!

By Carole C

Dec 2, 2016

I loved everything in the course: the structure, going in depth in the concepts, the little quizzes and the movie clips. Thank you!