Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

176 - 200 of 337 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Ajaan R K

Jul 15, 2016

Easily Understandable... VERY Interesting... Thoroughly Entertaining...

By Jean S

Aug 06, 2017

Excellent course informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed the film clips which illustrated the lectures

By Monika M

By Karen N M V

Feb 26, 2017

Excellent course!

Thank you very much.

As a student of pedagogy, it has helped me to complement topics on cognitive functions and learning. The time devoted to each topic may seem short, but it gave me the information I needed to understand the basic terms and delve into them in the future.

For the moment, I'll wait for my copy of the book.

Again, thank you teacher.

Make another course :)

By Danil K

Mar 15, 2016

Very informative and thought-provoking course. And also extremely engaging. I found the idea to use films as illustrations of concepts and myths of memory absolutely brilliant.

By Maximus R

Jun 05, 2017

Very interesting!

By María T A C

Dec 23, 2016

Increíble y entretenido curso para aprender lo que implica recordad y tener memoria.

By Li-Fu C

May 09, 2017

這是我第一堂上與電影相關但與電影製作無關的課,研究電影是我很大的興趣,這堂課也是我第一次特別抓出一個類別來做賞析。

很開心能有這個機會閱覽這個課程。

By WANYUN L

Sep 28, 2017

Thank you for such interesting and insightful course!

By Lakh Z

May 05, 2017

As mentioned in the lecture, we take memory for granted before understanding it. I personally learnt a lot from the lecture and it helps me to realize the situation of the elderly around us.

By Stephen F

Sep 29, 2016

Fun and filled with Brilliance!

By Mary H

Sep 14, 2017

Relating the concepts to movies made them easy to learn and remember. Very comprehensible and pleasant lectures.

By Rishikesh P

Jul 04, 2018

Great and entertaining course! Helped me to understand memory and different phases of it through life. Broadened my vision and made me more humble.

By SANDRA E

Aug 01, 2017

Excellent content and worth reviewing! Great movies also.

By Pedro M

Sep 03, 2016

Really enjoyed this course. Funny way to learn a lot about memory through common known movies. Highly recommended. Good teacher, thanks for this :)

By Victor G d O S

Sep 09, 2016

Very good course. It complete its purpose and manage to teach a lot of things in a simple and fast way, wich is the objetive of Coursera. Also, the forum is full of discussions, wich is interesting.

By Tilman J

Jul 28, 2016

A thoughtful and sometimes touching course. It gave me a lot to think about memory and the changes that occur in us as we age.

By DIANA V E

Jan 29, 2017

Curso excelente, con información clara y apropiada, con mucha ayuda visual que permite la concentración y mayor comprensión del tema

By Osula U I C

Feb 11, 2018

Very interesting course. I sometimes got distracted by the movies presented in that I felt an on the moment urge to watch most of the films presented. What I noticed though, is that all I need to do now is think about one of the movies to remember the main points of the lecture!

I would really love a sequel to this course that would be based on memory maintenance research and includes things like the best physical and intellectual exercises , diet and lifestyle in gnl. -

Thank you for putting together this course

By ayse

May 13, 2016

I find these videos very informative. Thank you.

By Serena A P K

Nov 02, 2016

Intriguingly interesting!

By Roman S

Jul 03, 2016

Good times!

By Maria - I M

Oct 16, 2017

Even though i knew about memory, it made me comprehend it better!! Thank you!!!

By Radhika

Jul 30, 2017

One of the best courses on Coursera! One is bound to have great fun completing this course.