Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

251 - 275 of 333 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Alfred M

Jun 10, 2019

very nice course

By dsvscc

Jun 25, 2019

Interesting, simple

By Luis p

Jun 25, 2019

Very Good course. I liked learning using movies as examples. It made the material easier to grasp and retain. It also made it memorable.

By ANUSHKA P J

Jun 30, 2019

An amazing experience

By Angie P

Jul 04, 2019

This course is amazing! The information given by the teacher is complete and accurate. The way of explaining every topic is very good, anyone could understand this course, you don't need to be a psychologist, psychiatrist or a neurologist to enjoy this course and to acquire all of the knownledge offered. I'm currently studying psychology and found it really helpfull. Thanks a lot! (:

By Zeus S V A

Jul 14, 2019

Very interesting, well presented, and the summaries at the end of each video makes easier to remember. I also wish you good memories John. Thank you for this course.

By Radhika

Jul 22, 2019

Amazing and very informative course!!

By Nancy

Jul 29, 2019

Loved this course!! I have recommended this course to many

By AIDA B S H

Aug 15, 2019

Lovely!

By Yina T

Aug 15, 2019

Very easy to understand and every week's video and quiz is very manageable too! Thumbs up. An interesting course to learn more about the basics of memory and cognitive functions.

By Lucy D

Jan 03, 2019

I liked the content though felt the delivery lacked diversity when there were many opportunities to learn things by trying them out - the couple of exercises designed for this were really great - they could be many more.

By John C

Mar 11, 2019

Awesome course. Loved the use of movie clips.

By Rich I

Mar 15, 2019

An entertaining way of learning more about this neuro-biologic process.

By Haydee A

Dec 09, 2018

It was a very interesting course. Thank you! I am also reading the book. I highly recommend it!

Thank you!!!!

By Michael N A

Jul 14, 2018

It was a very interesting way to describe human memory, but I'm not giving it 5 stars because I feel it could have contained more scientific information.

By carlos h b

Apr 10, 2017

Muy buen curso, se ilustra de manera amplia y concreta lo relacionado con la memoria. Además, la metodología de asociarlo con el cine tiene efectos benéficos como los de mantener los recuerdos muy activos. Muchas gracias.

By Stacy K

May 15, 2016

Great content and movies. Would have been even better if the professor spoke a little more loudly and perhaps there were guest experts.

By Georges E A

Dec 04, 2016

I liked the way that course go... it was nice to know how our memory work

By merit s

Oct 10, 2016

Interesting

By Mansi K

Jul 04, 2016

Liked the course, subject, content and faculty.

By Kate

Aug 08, 2016

I enjoyed Professor Seamon's lectures and I also enjoyed his book. While you do not need to purchase the book, it is well written and really helpful and interesting. Professor Seamon has an endearing and personal style which makes the material come to life. The movie selection was excellent and helped reinforce many of the technical definitions about memory. I feel the quizzes could have been a little more challenging. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

By Stephen B

Aug 17, 2017

Excellent incorporation of these two disciplines! It has been said that movies make memories!

By Safwa A

Oct 03, 2017

i

By Eckstein B M

Aug 07, 2017

this subject is interesting

By Diana B F (

Feb 10, 2017

I wonderful foundation course with the splendid added filmography. Great combination that explains false myths behind memory lapses, episodes of forgetfulness and concussion.