Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

MS
Feb 6, 2021

This is a great course.I'm a film lover and a psychology student.This method of learning [learning through movies] more effect than the usual learning. Hope to see more courses like this in future.

276 - 300 of 555 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By María T A C

Dec 22, 2016

Increíble y entretenido curso para aprender lo que implica recordad y tener memoria.

By Shaina K R

Oct 11, 2020

I really loved this course! I enjoyed learning and the movies were all exceptional!

By Linda C

Aug 29, 2020

Fantastic overview of memory nicely illustrated through films. I really enjoyed it!

By Pritika G

Mar 3, 2017

excellent course, the topics are taught in a creative and memorable way. Thank you!

By Ave K

Jun 21, 2020

The concepts of memory were easy to learn thanks to the examples of great movies.

By 許家安

Feb 25, 2018

Excellent course with interesting materials to cover some ground about memories.

By ΣΑΚΚΕΤΟΣ Δ

Jan 6, 2021

A great lesson from a very good teacher. I am very pleased to have watched it!!

By Maria - I M

Oct 16, 2017

Even though i knew about memory, it made me comprehend it better!! Thank you!!!

By Ondina F P

Aug 9, 2016

Es un curso muy interesante, sencillo y entretenido. Ideal para principiantes.

By Stacey W

Mar 24, 2019

Best course on memory! And the use of movies reinforced learnings. Recommend!

By Lourival P A

Feb 28, 2021

Eu pensei que era ótimo. Principalmente por causa da minha idade. (68 anos).

By MAR�A G

Aug 18, 2020

Muchas gracias, por ese genial curso.

Gracias por la dedicación del profesor.

By Priscila L

Nov 15, 2017

such a complex topic, explained calmly and dynamically. Congrats, professor!

By Krishna K

May 18, 2019

Very useful course. I thoroughly enjoyed the lectures. Thank you Professor.

By Sowmya K B

Oct 18, 2016

I really liked the way in which movies are used for explaining the concept.

By ΧΡΥΣΟΥΛΑ Π

Jan 17, 2021

perfect!i am so exciting to listen this man!!!the best mooc i ve ever have

By Srivathsan P

Nov 1, 2020

Very good compilation of key factors on memory. Thank you for this course.

By Irene U L

May 13, 2020

Very interesting course for the ones who like both psychology and movies.

By Jan A H K

Apr 25, 2020

Thanks for the time together John, it was really good and enlightening :)

By Li-Fu C

May 9, 2017

這是我第一堂上與電影相關但與電影製作無關的課,研究電影是我很大的興趣,這堂課也是我第一次特別抓出一個類別來做賞析。

很開心能有這個機會閱覽這個課程。

By Margaret S C

Oct 1, 2016

Loved this course. Very well presented, organized and illustrated. A gem.

By Myles S

Feb 22, 2021

Clear and interesting presentation of complex material. Very well done.

By Stefanny M

Aug 3, 2020

it was good and easy to understand, all good movies and very practical!

By Renna Z

Very interesting and informative. I loved the course and the insructor.

By Mansi Y

amazing course, must for psychology lovers...learnt a lot of new things