Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

326 - 350 of 401 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Jennie J

Dec 29, 2019

Very interesting and important learning. The teacher is very pleasant and easy to follow. I learned a lot. The quizzes were a bit challenging due to so many new terms (good for my brain). However I do believe that some dimensia can be reversed as a Holistic Practitioner and MDs haven't caught up to that.

By Laia G T

Oct 29, 2016

I think there is not enough scientific facts, I expected some more information about the molecular basis of Alzheimer disease and memory in general. However, I enjoyed the course and I would recommend it, it is very good explained and through the movies you can feel aproximately what these people feel.

By Anne-Marie C A

Jan 05, 2018

The Instructor is just magnificently brilliant! I love him , I loved the Course. I give four stars because it didn't meet my very inner expectation on very much stressing on how to overall extensively improve memory by giving many practical tips(though the topic was covered at some point).

By Sukriti S

Jun 02, 2020

It was a beautiful course. As a student of psychology, memory has always been a complex topic. The course made it easier to remember these concepts. Additionally, having watched only a few of the films mentioned in the course, I have added for myself a great list of films to watch.

By Tam F

Feb 09, 2020

This was an interesting course and the movie clips were a fun way to help us understand the concepts we were talking about. It's not super in-depth, but I didn't expect it to be. The concepts are simple and the lessons build upon each other, helping cement what you learn.

By Raquel H

Jun 08, 2016

I haven't finished the course yet, so far so good!

I would love to see more variety of films from other countries too.

I'm convinced this course will evolve as further research on memory

continues making the huge 'memory and aging' issue much more accesible.

Thank you!

By Cecile D

Jul 10, 2016

I thought it was an excellent class for discovering how our memory works. Thanks to the movie examples it provided great insights into our brains, and importantly the professor was there to explain the differences between fiction and actual scientific knowledge !

By carlos h b

Apr 10, 2017

Muy buen curso, se ilustra de manera amplia y concreta lo relacionado con la memoria. Además, la metodología de asociarlo con el cine tiene efectos benéficos como los de mantener los recuerdos muy activos. Muchas gracias.

By Lucy D

Jan 03, 2019

I liked the content though felt the delivery lacked diversity when there were many opportunities to learn things by trying them out - the couple of exercises designed for this were really great - they could be many more.

By Michele R

Apr 15, 2016

I really enjoyed this class - it gave me some insight to how the mind works. The lectures were easy to understand, no full of jargon, and the quizzes helped clarify what I needed to focus on

By Gjoans

Jun 13, 2016

It's a very good course discovering the function of memory and how we maintain good memory, while principle and mechanism of memory's formation did not be revealed were the leaving regrets.

By Ellen W

May 06, 2016

Interesting course. I liked that each session was short so I could fit them into breaks in my day. I also liked that the professor used movies to demonstrate concepts he was discussing.

By Diana B F (

Feb 10, 2017

I wonderful foundation course with the splendid added filmography. Great combination that explains false myths behind memory lapses, episodes of forgetfulness and concussion.

By Narayan M

Jun 06, 2017

INTERESTING CORRELATION INDEED OF HOW NUANCES OF MEMORY CAN BE BETTER COMPREHENDED BY MOVIES. ACTUALLY ENHANCES THE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE OF THE MOVIE BESIDES THE INSIGHT

By Michael N A

Jul 14, 2018

It was a very interesting way to describe human memory, but I'm not giving it 5 stars because I feel it could have contained more scientific information.

By Juan E

Feb 22, 2020

Muy claro y práctico. Las imagenes y guiones de las películas ayudan a fijar mucho mas los conceptos. Felicitaciones. Altamente recomendable.

By Stacy K

May 15, 2016

Great content and movies. Would have been even better if the professor spoke a little more loudly and perhaps there were guest experts.

By Gayathri G

Aug 12, 2017

This course was really interesting since it incorporated the fun of watching movies along with understanding the psychology of mind.

By Vivian L

Nov 25, 2017

Interesting and easy to learn. I like the setting by coursera that I can watch the video and do the quiz whenever in my free time.

By Cesar O

Jun 13, 2016

Si amas el maravilloso mundo del cine y también la psicología, entonces este curso es para tí. Ampliamente recomendable.

By Juan D S M

Jan 06, 2017

Es un curso realmente agradable para aquellos que se interesan por la condición humana y se apasionan por el cine !!!

By nelly a

Jul 10, 2016

Very interesting and amuzing way of learning about something so important as memory is. I have enjoyed every lesson.

By Haydee A

Dec 09, 2018

It was a very interesting course. Thank you! I am also reading the book. I highly recommend it!

Thank you!!!!

By Nancy B

Oct 26, 2017

I enjoyed the subject matter, however, the presenter is very monotone and makes it hard to pay attention.

By sukran c

Aug 06, 2017

It was very well prepared lessons. I have found all lessons very usefull indeed. Thank you sharing with us