Back to Predictive Modeling and Analytics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Predictive Modeling and Analytics by University of Colorado Boulder

3.6

Welcome to the second course in the Data Analytics for Business specialization! This course will introduce you to some of the most widely used predictive modeling techniques and their core principles. By taking this course, you will form a solid foundation of predictive analytics, which refers to tools and techniques for building statistical or machine learning models to make predictions based on data. You will learn how to carry out exploratory data analysis to gain insights and prepare data for predictive modeling, an essential skill valued in the business. You’ll also learn how to summarize and visualize datasets using plots so that you can present your results in a compelling and meaningful way. We will use a practical predictive modeling software, XLMiner, which is a popular Excel plug-in. This course is designed for anyone who is interested in using data to gain insights and make better business decisions. The techniques discussed are applied in all functional areas within business organizations including accounting, finance, human resource management, marketing, operations, and strategic planning. The expected prerequisites for this course include a prior working knowledge of Excel, introductory level algebra, and basic statistics....

TM
Apr 14, 2020

Good course to give a basic understanding of predictive modelling and analytics. Good assignments and opportunity to review peer submissions help reinforce the learnings.

NC
Jun 4, 2020

Excelent! Even for someone that doesnt work usually with statistic models, this course give the fundamentals insights so that we can go deeper by ourself.

151 - 175 of 186 Reviews for Predictive Modeling and Analytics

By DMW

Dec 7, 2020

All around a pretty horrible course. I am not sure who is giving it 4 or 5 stars. Yes the instructor is knowledgeable but he is not a teacher. Additionally he speaks very fast with an accent which makes it difficult to follow along. I would have preferred we spent more time learning about regressions and less time learning how to use an odd Excel Addon that you have to pay for.

By Agnieszka P

Jul 1, 2020

I've been struggling horribly with this course. Quite difficult knowledge presented with too little explanation. Much more visual graphs, summaries are needed to explain these data while in the course it is mostly a speech. If pictures are presented, they are without proper description. Whats more the course focus on showing how to do the models, but not how to interpret them.

By MD. M H

Jun 13, 2020

I really think the lecturer has so much knowledge and wisdom to share with us. But it all goes in vain when students can't understand properly what the lecturer says because of his accent.

I tried very much to understand, it was very hard for me, even with the transcript.

I hope to learn more.

By Gabriel A

Very difficult to understand, even with CC. The backbone of this course is a little bit of macro handy work from 1995. I am not the most experienced in the field, but i find it hard to believe that any F500 company would use let alone pay for use of that thing.

By David X

Jul 30, 2020

I would suggest this course to update its video by using text to speech. "The Data Scientist’s Toolbox" is a good example !

too many errors in the scripts, I have posted some on the course forum. some assignments questions not mentioned in the course.

By Renée S

Apr 29, 2020

This course requires advanced pre-existing knowledge of statistics to really be of any use. New concepts, formulas and techniques are barely explained but are presented as a 'given'. The course does give you good working knowledge of the Solver tool.

By Ruslan K

Aug 31, 2020

Interesting course however, it was very difficult to understand the instructor. I've had to use the lesson subtitles and slide pack to study the material; then just used to play video lesson to be able to open the next lesson.

By Lokesh T

Jul 17, 2020

Its really hard to understand the instructor even subtitles mentions inaudible on many places. There should either proper presentations available or Coursera can redraw this course with another instructor

By markanday r

Aug 18, 2020

The instructor rushed through the videos, explanations were not very clear. The material was not very in depth and the coursework was not that helpful in understanding the concepts.

By Eduardo R O S

Apr 1, 2020

The instructor speak to fast and it's hard to understand what he said too many times. The material in the course in not well done. I believe that the course needs to be remake.

By Manas K

Apr 17, 2020

Much below my expectation or the level and quality the other courses bring. There are so many areas within this course that could be improved.

By tan l d

Jan 6, 2020

The accent of instructor is too strong to understand, it's an unpleasant experience to have listen through the class.

By Faizan R

Jun 15, 2020

its very difficult to understand the accent of the person otherwise content is very useful

By Svetoslava K

Feb 2, 2021

The instructor is certainly knowledgeable of the topic but has no idea how to teach

By Vedad K

Assignments are interesting but the explanations and presentations are awful.

By Connor C

Mar 26, 2020

Could not understand the instructor and the information was not useful

By Cam E

Jun 1, 2021

Very difficult to follow. Most videos are one, long, run on sentance.

By Urmika K

Aug 12, 2020

Didn't really like the instructor for this course.

By Pranay B

Jun 2, 2021

The faculty was really bad

By Dham S

Apr 24, 2020

poor content structure

By Kevin J

Jun 3, 2020

I don't usually rate applications, let alone courses, but this is the one course I was extremely frustrated at, and I saw that I was not alone in this.

First, assignment 3 is buggy, very likely because the version of xlminer is different (I ended up downloading xlminer from other available sources because the version this course gave did not work!!). Different versions including the partition result presentation and logistic regression step 1 appearance.

Second, xlminer is COMPULSORY and NOT FREE (free trial does not count). You can not even use other tools such as Python or R because some of the values asked in questions specifically require excel to get. I still don't get why xlminer can not be a free open source add-ins. Python and R's basic machine libraries are free, why isn't xlminer?

Third, this course is the PREREQUISITE to Advance Business Analytics, which I am more interested in. Combine with my second point, it's like locking a character in a game behind a paywall as a DLC, of course people would not like it.

If you are aiming for a certificate for this course, just forget it, it's not worth it. If you are aiming for learning the subject, you can still take the course. Overall, absolutely not going to recommend it.

To developer of this course, please REVISE THE ASSIGNMENT ASAP.

By Aman G

This class doesn't even deserve that one star.It is easily the worst class I've ever taken on Coursera. The data in the final does not match the description. There are mistakes in the lessons and on the quiz. There is no feedback to forum.I was very disappointed by this course. The professor was knowledgeable, but was difficult to understand and spoke quickly. Even the transcript had the words [INAUDIBLE] listed multiple times because he was so difficult to understand. There were no slides, so note taking was difficult. The course also requires paying $25 for an Excel Add-In, which was not mentioned before enrolling in the course. The Excel Add-In is a different version from the version used in the video, so it was very difficult to follow along because the screens and outputs were different. I also had an issue with the Excel Add-In that made some of my work late because the issue could not be resolved quickly. The Analytic Solver (the Add-Inrepresentative said the problem was on their end, and had to fix the issue himself. Overall I was extremely disappointed and would not recommend this course to anyone. If this had been the first course in the specialization, I would not have continued. In my opinion UC-B needs to rethink if they should even offer this course.

By Lauri S

Apr 27, 2020

I learned close to nothing (I want to say it was absolutely nothing because I think that's accurate), from this course. In my opinion, it was just a plug for the university's data miner plug-in. The instructor was so hard to understand and the videos didn't instruct on how to implement the practices they "taught". Finally, I don't know anyone in data analytics who uses these methods of predictive modeling. They're outdated and school-level insights used by professors. I do not recommend this course to anyone.

By Trevor B

As if the professor's lifeless eyes didn't make it tough to focus on the videos already, the professor was incredibly tough to understand to the point where even the person captioning the video had to add "(Inaudible)" at places. I also had to spend 2 days just trying to figure out XLMiner because I didn't have Excel and then later XLMiner wouldn't let me log in. This course was a nightmare

By Rafael R

Jun 17, 2020

If you don´t have a US credit-card to purchase Solver you are not allowed to continue studying.

It´s just impossible to use a Credit-card from another country. It´s annoying and a waste of time.

coursera / Boulder Uni should elect only software companies or partners able to supply all students.

It´s a shame.