Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR

Oct 14, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

176 - 200 of 885 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Eugene K

Feb 27, 2016

Very good introductory course in Java and OOP principles, well designed and structured, provides perfect programming assignments.

By Mohamed M M A K

Mar 05, 2016

An excellent course for taking a step forwards in Java programming. The instructors are great and I love the concept challenge videos as they help clarify new concepts.

The programming assignments are good although sometimes felt like they were not challenging enough.

The course material isn't that long and the course could easily be completed in 2-3 weeks or even less.

Despite that it is not an introductory course to Java, I was able to follow along smoothly without prior Java experience. However previous programming experience is required.

By Yubo T

Dec 14, 2016

theoretical and practical balance

By Andrés F J A

Nov 10, 2015

Excellent course!

By Jean-Baptiste B

Dec 01, 2017

Really well explained course on Java OOP concepts.

By ahmed h

Sep 29, 2015

Best Java course I have seen for years. And Best team of instructors in any of Coursera courses. Hope to have later specializations from the same Instructors. I am just delaying certificate until finishing the due java specialization, as I felt it may need introductory course as advised by the great instructor Christine

Great Instructor/Course from great University as great as the rest of San Diego university courses. Well respected Universities in addition to Duke, Michigan and Virginia Compared to the very short courses from other reputable Universities

By youssof r

Mar 18, 2016

Comprehensive, enough amount of quizes and suitable assignment to ensure your understanding and give you enough practice. Nicely planned. I have really benefited from it.

By Reda R

Dec 12, 2015

Very good course

By Chen T

Dec 06, 2015

Practical project experience can be obtained!

By Mir F M

Feb 28, 2016

Thank you!

By Rudolf P

Nov 01, 2015

Excellent Course for JAVA novices.

By Rolando J A A

Jul 09, 2018

I am glad I took this course. I enjoyed it. Very well accomplished/designed learning experience.

By Gaganjot S

May 01, 2016

Must-take object-oriented programming course for intermediate programmers.

By Shashwat S

Feb 18, 2016

Excellent specialization

By Vishal C A

Aug 31, 2017

It was really cool to do some graphical programming. Very different from what I do at work, so I really enjoyed it. I am warming up to using Java more.

By Robert C

May 14, 2018

Challenging, I learned a lot.

By Anubis L

Sep 07, 2016

This course is excellent..I've never felt so happy while learning about programming concepts

By Ola H

Dec 30, 2015

Good introduction to JAVA for the intermediate developer.

By Thomas H

Jan 17, 2016

Loved the Unfolding Maps application! Great way to learn object oriented programming. Really enjoyed the extension project at the end.

By Gurucharan S

Awesome

By radhika s

Dec 07, 2016

I would give additional stars if it was possible. Some prior programming experience is required (I think they already specify this as a prerequisite). That said, if you just done basic programming but never used GUI libraries before, this is THE BEST POSSIBLE INTRODUCTION to using libraries.

Must say a word about the course structure, material and the professors. They are all, yes all three of the professors, in one word: AMAZING!! Their tone is encouraging and it is a privilege learn from them.

The course structure, again 5 stars. A combination of the CORE and concept challenges cleared up any muddled up concepts in my head. So analyzing and understanding the support code was a breeze (it took me multiple attempts and umpteen reviews of the videos to get this far in the course but I am definitely more knowledgeable and competent than before I started)

The course material is really good.

I am highly motivated to complete this course and go for the next one provided by this dedicated team of fantastic teachers.