Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR

Oct 14, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

51 - 75 of 1,174 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Manuel M G

Jul 30, 2016

Great course, especially if you have some background in programming. With a lot of help from the lectures you develop a real life proyect since week 1, which is pretty awesome. The instructors' explanations are clear and simple. I had never had any contact with Java before and I feel like I have learned a lot. Thank you so much for this course!

By Sergio

Jan 07, 2016

Excellent course! 100% recommended!

Despite I had a strong background in computing and I found it a little bit easy, I really enjoyed the lectures and programming assignments and I have learned some interesting stuff.

In my case, I know how to program but I have coded in Matlab for too long. So I am finding the whole specialization very useful.

By Seth H

Apr 14, 2016

Interesting project, great pacing. The lectures are well designed and presented. The additional videos (quick interviews with industry vets, students figuring out a selection of code) are useful to reinforce understanding. Most of the knowledge here transfers smoothly (with syntax adjustments) to other languages and stacks, such as C#.

By Benjamin D

Sep 14, 2016

For me it can be difficult rating courses that cover material that I've already seen in some form before because sometimes it's the repetition that causes a concept to click. However, having never used Java, this really helped me to get a more solid grasp of OOP basics. The instructors are awesome and the pacing is just right.

By Yash S

Nov 04, 2019

Excellent explanation of material and pavement of the right thinking patterns in students. Definitely piqued a substantial interest for me to go back to school, but hey, no need! Love how the entire curriculum contains these mini challenges that pick your brain and prevent it from getting distracted. Great stuff, all around!

By Matthew A

May 23, 2017

Very well guided course. Enjoyed the programming modules. The right difficulty and guidance to achieve the programming assignments without having to have interactive help from tutors. I feel like the lectures also gave me a good holistic view that is often missing from online courses. Thank you, I will recommend this course.

By Terrence F

Sep 19, 2017

This course was difficult for me as I am new to Java and this is not an introductory course. I had to spend some serious time watching the videos, taking the quizzes and doing the weekly assignments. This course was well structured and included lots of good references, so I somehow managed to get through it successfully!

By Lindsey R

Jul 10, 2019

This course was so fun and really helped to bring back my programming skills after not using them for a few years. I would highly recommend this course. The professors tie in real world examples and help you understand why each concept is important beyond just the class, but for future jobs and programming assignments.

By Jessica H

Mar 31, 2016

I have learned quite a bit on thinking about code. Memory models especially was a new concept for me. Now I can take that skill and apply to bigger projects if I want to run through and understand that better. I also like that we can watch students talking over the code. Awesome course and great personable teachers.

By Sam V

Apr 15, 2019

Great course for a fresher and experienced Java programmer. I've used Java from 1.0 - 1.4. But its been changing so fast in the last few versions, I wanted to catch up. This course gave me that. Instructions and tests were useful to validate what I knew and didn't. Decently paced as well. Kudos to the instructors.

By Mohammed H

Feb 07, 2016

Very Good Course. The Programming Assignment were a bit challenging. It first looked all alien but the Instructions were very helpful and I enjoyed a lot while doing it. This is the best course I have taken up on Coursera and for that matter any online course.It was very interactive. Thank you Coursera. Keep it up

By Moemen A

Mar 06, 2016

This is a very well organized course, which shows clearly that the professors in charge have put real efforts to create its syllabus and training code. I have had a significant benefit by going through the course, and it helped me to implement OO techniques in a very detailed way. I highly recommend this course.

By Marcelo K Y

May 14, 2018

In this course, I could consolidate the concepts of inheritance and polymorphism. The theory part was focused and concise, and the main important points had clear explanations and examples. I also enjoyed the programming part, which linked the theory with a very interesting feature to monitore earthquakes.

By Alexander

Jul 26, 2016

Great course, it covers fundamentals of OOP and Java.

I think it is a great course for one who starts learning Java.

How materials are divided is awesome if you need a little help, you can get just wathcing another video, if you want to keep yourself challenged you can skip some. I liked this approach.

By Ruslan Z

Excellent course, competent methodical system of material presentation.

A lot of details about the language were discussed for me at a more detailed and understandable level.

I saw reviews that the course is outdated, but I think the topics that are taught there are fundamental and still relevant

By Mustafa A S

Jan 29, 2016

The topics are covered perfectly in such a way that every learner can digest the content by spending some time on them. After that, learners can able to learn most of the basics of OOP. The homeworks are also well designed and helpful. Thanks to the creators of this course and the instructors.

By Sudarshan P

Aug 10, 2016

This is a brilliant course. Starts from the basics of object oriented programming covering all the topics in intermediate details. Also, the final assignment helps you to add additional features and test your creativity!

A must for beginners and a good course to review the fundamentals of OOAD.

By Jipeng C

Sep 20, 2018

Good course. I learned and practiced how to write object oriented (OO) program using Java which also enable me quickly use other language to write OO program. The content of this course is so great that the introduction of the memory model really gave me the insight into the program writing.

By Nana K A

Dec 08, 2019

I studied Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Cornell University. With a busy 19 credit semester, I was still able to get through the course pretty easily with the amazing resources available. I would definitely recommend the course for anyone looking to learn programming principles in Java.

By Mukil K

Sep 16, 2015

This is the first MOOC I have found that fits neatly between beginner level introduction to programming courses, and higher level machine learning/pattern recognition or algorithms courses. The lecture videos convey concepts succinctly, and the assignments complement the lecture materials.

By Abdul M A K

Oct 21, 2019

difficult course but worth it..my recommendation would be to pay extra attention to polymorphism and inheritance concepts and listen to them again. this will help you in the assignments. Leave the assignments for a little while if you get stuck and come back later with a fresh mind.

By Cesar

Sep 19, 2015

Perfect, I've learned a lot since Week 1, It's a very interactive course and the teachers are very clear with explanations. I am in week 3 now and wow, my knowledge has been drastically increased. Note that I am tester trying the other side of the coin. Thanks for the Course UCSD!

By Klaudiusz J

Nov 02, 2018

Great course, I very much enjoyed the practical side of the course as I could get the most of it. Writing the project througout the course was a fantastic idea. Altought, sometimes it was quite challenging. I'd definitely recommand the course to anyone! Thank you Instructors.

By NinomiyaSakana

I really like this course. As a Chinese learner, I originally learned OOP by Chinese language but from coursera I reviewed this part of knowledge and got to know many terminologies in English. The homework after lectures is also interesting. Thanks to UCSan Diego very much.

By Qiuyi L (

Jan 09, 2016

Every instructor explains the concept in a nice and clear way. The course structure they designed is very logical and well organized. So, it's very easy to follow. Plus, they did a very good job picking core topics in OOP.

A must-take class if you're interested in OOP.