Back to Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us by University of Pennsylvania

The vital signs – heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration rate, and pain – communicate important information about the physiological status of the human body. In this six-part course we explore the anatomy and physiology underlying the vital signs so that you will develop a systematic, integrated understanding of how the body functions. Relevant body systems are reviewed including cardiovascular and respiratory, followed by explanations of how the function of these systems affects vital signs. We discuss normal ranges, normal variants, and the mechanisms that underlie changes in the objective measurement of vital signs. The course also includes demonstrations of appropriate techniques for measuring vital signs in yourself and others. The course is designed for a broad, general audience but will be particularly interesting for individuals working in healthcare, those considering a career as a healthcare professional, lay caregivers, those with an interest in personal health and fitness, or anyone who simply wants to understand how the body functions....

BR

Sep 30, 2018

Yes, it is very useful to me and I will suggest to my friends to take this course. My sincere Thanks to Connie B. Scanga, PhD, she taken the all lecture clearly and her lecture was easy to understand.

AB

Jun 30, 2017

I really enjoyed to the professor and the idea of learning the material with her students. It made me feel as if I was in the classroom learning with them. She broke down the material in a great way.

126 - 150 of 575 Reviews for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

By Raquel C S

May 11, 2018

It was very nice!! I wanted more and more, it explains perfectly a bit of physiology in every vital sign, which is wonderful to know it that way.

By Nin

Aug 24, 2016

A great course, with lectures clear and easy to understand for those without any specifical educationnal background, but developped enough to keep the others interested as well. The rest of the course is very accessible as well and designed to make us save time and focus on actual learning. The course outline (summary of every video of the week) are pretty awesome and saves me a lot of time (although, I wouldn't want to sound needy but it would be great to include pictures as well. But I can do it myself :-) )

Just a little note on the first lectures : they sound a little bit akward, like fake lessons with comedians already knowing the answers and odd camera looks. But it dissipate very fast as the course continues and should not impact studies at all (maybe it's just me overthinking it anyway).

So, in two words : THANK YOU !

By Marco A

Dec 26, 2016

Wonderful course, so well done in all its contents and videos.

Clear and useful in all its parts.

Prof Scanga is terrific!

By Joanne W

Mar 28, 2018

This was a really interesting course and for someone like myself, who has no background in nursing, this was pitched at just the right level and had the perfect pace to keep me going. What I liked the most was the simplicity of presentation, with Dr Connie Scanga standing in front of a small class, teaching and interacting with her students. She created a welcoming and encouraging atmosphere in which to pass on her wealth of knowledge. Also great were her team of healthcare workers: Amanda and Megan ( i think!) who rounded off the weeks with interesting demonstrations. All in all, a fabulous course that I'm sad to see end!

By Xuejing J

Aug 14, 2017

Easy to understand. A well organized class.

By Sandra C

Jun 08, 2018

It is a great course. I really enjoy it. Thanks!!

By Debora H D

Apr 08, 2016

Perfect... Many thanks from Brazil.

By Lisa S

Sep 18, 2016

the instructor is an amazing expert in professional experience as demonstrated by her ease in presenting difficult topics to allow students at all levels to feel safe they will be successful in achieving knowledge and skills in these complicated

By David A

Jul 23, 2017

Brilliant.

I did a first aid course recently and this elaborated on the reasons for things being taught in a first aid course.

By kelvin a

Jun 28, 2017

I thoroughly enjoy the lessons. Thanks

By Hortensia B

Aug 12, 2016

this course was really instructive and complete! I loved it

By Mariana D N H

Mar 06, 2018

It was absolutely amazing. One of the best courses I've followed!

Jan 02, 2017

This course is just right for someone like me who has little medical knowledge but wants to know what the medics are looking for when they do their standard tests. It is well organised and benefits from the nursing students, who answer the awkward questions better than I could have done. Many thanks to everyone involved in producing the course, I enjoyed doing it and learnt a lot.

By Güneş E

Sep 12, 2017

It was one of the best and informative courses i've took on coursera.

By Guillaume C

Jul 16, 2017

Now I understand what the body is telling us.... :-)

By Victoria

Jul 16, 2016

Excellent course! Professor Scanga is the best!

By marta

Apr 09, 2016

great professor

By Gregg I

Apr 27, 2017

Excellent introduction with just enough information to give you a general idea of what is going on within your body and how it is assessed.

By Cristina G

Jun 26, 2018

Thank you Dr. Scanga and UPenn! This course is fascinating and so much more informative than I originally imagined when I enrolled. Not only will this help me in my job with the information centers of various NIH institutes, but I feel that I more equipped to best care of my husband and children (and myself, I suppose) and help them communicate more effectively with our physicians from now on. Thanks, again! I have already recommended this course to my siblings and parents and will now be recommending it as a part of training at work!

By Freki1900

Mar 26, 2016

It do help me a lot in the learning about essential signals. Thanks

By Maureen T

Sep 17, 2016

Well organized and well presented. I felt that I had learnt a lot in this course, it was exactly as described and easy to fit into my schedule.

By Philip p t

May 01, 2016

Was a great learning experience.

By Carlos F F M

Apr 09, 2016

Excelente curso. Fácil, did Digno de 5 estrellas.